Late in a live 14-man SNG

Buy in is $50 and only the top 2 places pay - Five players left, blinds are 250 / 500 and I am on the button with Kd-9h - My stack size is $5500 - Action folds to me and I raise it to $1200 - SB folds, BB calls (BB is chip leader with about $15000)

Flop is 9d-5d-2d -
SB checks
Hero : ??

Should I have just shoved preflop ?
With top pair and the 2nd nut flush draw, is shoving a no brainer ?
Or should I have folded pre-flop to wait for a better spot ?

All opinions welcome.

Comments

• Althought your M is > 5, are you the shortest stack? If yes, push pre.

As played, pot's 2650, you have 4300 back. This pot adds 50% to your stack, so you want it... throw out a bet that you think will get him to come over the top (i.e. if he thinks your full of it for pushing, do that, if a min bet will get him to play overtop, do that). But you want all your money in here.

Mark
  • easy push pre, easy push now imo
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    easy push pre, easy push now imo

bout right.

Think about it this way: how bad is raise folding here. prob like the worst possible thing you can do.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    bout right.

Think about it this way: how bad is raise folding here. prob like the worst possible thing you can do.

Ditto, push push push... Question I have is.... how did you let yourself get this low without pushing earlier?
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Should I have just shoved preflop ?
    Yes, it would be +EV to shove with ~30% of hands, e.g.,
    K6s+ KTo+ 22+ Ax+ Q8s+ QTo+ J8s+ JTo T8s+ 97s+ 87s.
    Or should I have folded pre-flop to wait for a better spot ?
    No, I would take every +EV play, even if I think it's only positive by +$1. Instead of waiting for "a better spot," I would maximize my profits by taking ALL the good spots!
    With top pair and the 2nd nut flush draw, is shoving a no brainer ?
    I don't think shoving and having villain fold would maximize your EV. I want the villain to put more chips in while getting reverse implied odds.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »

I don't think shoving and having villain fold would maximize your EV. I want the villain to put more chips in while getting reverse implied odds.

Interesting.

I think a shove is expected from us and villian knows this. Not shoving here would be too suspicious and thus I believe is your only play.

If he has any piece of it he's calling. If he's got 2 overs and a fd he should call (QdJc etc.) if he has mid pair top kicker he's calling, if he has 88- he's calling. I think the only way you're going to get villian's stack in when you check the turn is if he improves to a better hand than yours (eg KcQc when he turns a Q or something).

No, I think shove here is mandatory. Honestly, we're not that upset if he folds this flop. We just scored 1450 chips without showdown.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I figured this hand pretty much played itself. I shoved the flop, got called by Ad-Qh and he hit the Ace on the turn and I am out in 5th. Why he didn't put me all in preflop is still a mystery.

As for why I didn't get all my chips in earlier, there was just never a good spot to get it in.
  • Push pre is pretty simple, but now that your here as said previously bet what you think he will make a play at. Try to double through here, you have a great hand to do so.