External Hard Drive Issues

I have a roughly 1.5yr old Simple Tech 1TB external hard drive. For the past few months when trying to access files from it (movies, etc) or trying to transfer files to/from it to my laptop it has become increasingly slow/non-responsive to the point of crashing. It has gotten to the point that it is not very usable at all.

Is this a common problem with external drives? Are there any troubleshooting steps I should take?

Comments

• GTA Poker wrote: »
    I have a roughly 1.5yr old Simple Tech 1TB external hard drive. For the past few months when trying to access files from it (movies, etc) or trying to transfer files to/from it to my laptop it has become increasingly slow/non-responsive to the point of crashing. It has gotten to the point that it is not very usable at all.

Is this a common problem with external drives? Are there any troubleshooting steps I should take?

can't tell you if theres a software fix for it, but alot of them turn out to be lemons. 3 outa three of mine crashed in the first year and were unfixable.

regardless of its its just a file problem i back my stuff up on something else
  • I am just throwing this out there, I am no expert, but you might need to defrag it?
  • philliivey wrote: »
    I am just throwing this out there, I am no expert, but you might need to defrag it?

although this wouldn't likely fix the problem i don't think, it would be useful along with a check disk program. the hard drive may have come with something for this that we all likely throw out when we buy it....

someone could give a program but im now outa my scope.