Bad Beat or Bad Play?

Early in a 180 player $4.40 on Stars. I have notes on the guy as being unable to fold top pair in two other times I've played him. Should I have been able to fold on that flop? I put him on AKo, one of them a diamond.

PokerStars Game #47726467256: Tournament #298313118, $4.00+$0.40 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2010/08/05 0:14:37 ET
Table '298313118 2' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: remdyn (1380 in chips)
Seat 2: gordieguts (1340 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: CrackBuyer (1990 in chips)
Seat 4: McAusland (1650 in chips)
Seat 5: JNo18 (1310 in chips)
Seat 6: fisker 1968 (1480 in chips)
Seat 7: cream1224 (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: Iston81 (1340 in chips)
Seat 9: Da King of P (1510 in chips)
fisker 1968: posts small blind 10
cream1224: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to McAusland [Ac As]
Iston81: raises 20 to 40
Da King of P: calls 40
remdyn: folds
gordieguts: folds
CrackBuyer: folds
McAusland: raises 100 to 140
JNo18: folds
fisker 1968: folds
cream1224: folds
Iston81: calls 100
Da King of P: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [8d 5d 3d]
Iston81: checks
Da King of P: checks
McAusland: bets 320
Iston81: folds
Da King of P: raises 1050 to 1370 and is all-in
McAusland: calls 1050
*** TURN *** [8d 5d 3d] [Qd]
*** RIVER *** [8d 5d 3d Qd] [4s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Da King of P: shows [6d Kd] (a flush, King high)
McAusland: shows [Ac As] (a pair of Aces)
McAusland said, "nice catch sir"
Da King of P collected 3190 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3190 | Rake 0
Board [8d 5d 3d Qd 4s]
Seat 1: remdyn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: gordieguts folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: CrackBuyer folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: McAusland showed [Ac As] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 5: JNo18 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: fisker 1968 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: cream1224 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Iston81 folded on the Flop
Seat 9: Da King of P showed [6d Kd] and won (3190) with a flush, King high

Comments

• range =

all adxd
    ax td+
    88 55 33
    99+
    a few diamond suited hands not often

and a few bluffs and weird hands not often but apparently often enough to show up here.

maybe.....

i think your slightly behind
  • You played that correct up until the call. When he reraised you all-in after the proper sized bet you put in, with that flop, you've gotta fold the aces.
  • meh, 4,4 level with our read we do the snapcalling yes?

4,4 level without our read we also do the calling imo, we're calling 1k to win 3k so we need like 33% equity
  • Sorry Cerberus, Bad Play. All due to the history I have had with pocket aces.
    3 Diamonds come up on Flop. I probe bet 150-200. He raises I would more than likely fold. He has either hit his flush or drawing to it. Save some chips and fight another battle. If one of your aces is a diamond then go for it.. You only have 2 outs and chances are one of them is in the muck.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    You only have 2 outs and chances are one of them is in the muck.

lol, where's the one in the muck?

In any case Cerb, this is pretty standard, maybe raise more preflop but I'm ok with the way you played it as well, maybe a smaller bet on flop so you can get away....However unless you have an idea that this guy is an idiot you have to let it go to his push...
  • compuease wrote: »

In any case Cerb, this is pretty standard, maybe raise more preflop but I'm ok with the way you played it as well, maybe a smaller bet on flop so you can get away....However unless you have an idea that this guy is an idiot you have to let it go to his push...

Makes sense. But if you are going to shove do it pre flop.
    I am guessing 1 ace is in the muck cause mine get cracked regardless of how I play them. Very seldom I see a third one unless I am up against them with KK or QQ
  • compuease wrote: »

again, we need 33% equity. why is noone allowing him to have 1010 with a diamond or some 89 one diamond hand or whatever (as well as some very diamondless overpairs and other random hands)?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    again, we need 33% equity. why is noone allowing him to have 1010 with a diamond or some 89 one diamond hand or whatever (as well as some very diamondless overpairs and other random hands)?

Probably because this is Bingo Stars. and most morons who play the low stakes will shove with anything.
    The other reason if the guy has a pulse he is not going to waste his tourney pushing after the flop unless he has a high pair one being a diamond or he has hit a flush.
    I think he folds this hand if you push. He calls with K-10,J or Q as this gives him more outs.
  • I'm so confused right now but it sounds like the majority is advocating a fold that I'd assume only a fish would make <.<
  • I have a feeling that had Cerb posted the hand without the final result, the replies would have been much different.

IMO, the villian could be pushing so much that is behind AA here.... Richard said it twice now, you only need 33% equity... The fact that he showed up with the flopped flush is unlucky for us... move on to the next one. I find it super hard to believe anyone when they rep the flopped flush by pounding it on the flop. Most times they will call your bet and ship the turn...

I might get flamed for this, but Cerb I think you got unlucky....
    Makes sense. But if you are going to shove do it pre flop.

Really? When he raised there was a whopping 110 chips in the pot... and your ready to ship your 1500 chips in there? Me thinks your folding out waayyyyyyyyy too many hands with a shove here.
  • reibs wrote: »
    Really? When he raised there was a whopping 110 chips in the pot... and your ready to ship your 1500 chips in there? Me thinks your folding out waayyyyyyyyy too many hands with a shove here.

LOL....that's what I was thinking......I like to make $$ with A's.....whytf would you shove pre? Could probably have raised a little more, but whatever.

And I'm getting it in on this flop everyday all day.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    LOL....that's what I was thinking......I like to make $$ with A's.....whytf would you shove pre? Could probably have raised a little more, but whatever.

And I'm getting it in on this flop everyday all day.
    Did he make any money here?
    Pushed to the rail. That hand folds if you push pre flop unless the guy is a window licking retard. Seen it a million times. Even the mules everywhere I play are not that stupid.
  • I think you should've re-raised for preflop there you only raised an extra 100 chips....
    Pushed to the rail. That hand folds if you push pre flop unless the guy is a window licking retard. Seen it a million times. Even the mules everywhere I play are not that stupid.

which is exactly why pushing is a stupid move..
  • reraise more pre, fold to shove on that flop, like holy crap people it's the stinking 1st blind level, you got lots of time to get ding dong's chips.:)

edit:

Also you said you thought he had 1 diamond, so basically your racing when you don't need to.

Dude.....really?.......You're welcome at my homegame anytime....I'll even drive from Edmonton to pick you up.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    reraise more pre, fold to shove on that flop, like holy crap people it's the stinking 1st blind level, you got lots of time to get ding dong's chips.:)

edit:

Also you said you thought he had 1 diamond, so basically your racing when you don't need to.

Sorry Phil, don't agree with your thinking here.......as Richard noted below, we only need 33% equity to get it in here, and I think we are much better than 50% here, especially at this level.

Wish people wouldn't show the results, I'm sure everyone would have different oppinions.
  • Seems like the consensus is... well, there is none. Hey, look at me, I generated a conversation!

Sorry T8. I thought about that later after I had already posted it and realized I should have just posted the flop and play up till his all in raise. At the same time though, why would I be posting it if I didn't get cracked? So really, the result was kind of inevidable, whether I posted it or not. Will definitely work on that in the future to leave results to the end of discussion.

Seems like either play is good. I think that equity wise and looking at notes I had, I made the right play, but patience and gut instinct wise I made the wrong one. Better to make these plays at these levels, learn from them now instead of for $5K.
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    again, we need 33% equity.
    ya seems we're quite over 33%
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Seems like the consensus is... well, there is none. Hey, look at me, I generated a conversation!

Sorry T8. I thought about that later after I had already posted it and realized I should have just posted the flop and play up till his all in raise. At the same time though, why would I be posting it if I didn't get cracked? So really, the result was kind of inevidable, whether I posted it or not. Will definitely work on that in the future to leave results to the end of discussion.

Seems like either play is good. I think that equity wise and looking at notes I had, I made the right play, but patience and gut instinct wise I made the wrong one. Better to make these plays at these levels, learn from them now instead of for $5K.

hahahaha cerb, we all know ur a fish already.
    darbday wrote: »
    ya seems we're quite over 33%

yay, darbday is in da house!, it is stars so we don't have as high as equity as we all think we do.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    Dude.....really?.......You're welcome at my homegame anytime....I'll even drive from Edmonton to pick you up.
    Ya Think!
  • philliivey wrote: »
    yay, darbday is in da house!, it is stars so we don't have as high as equity as we all think we do.

Well I'm convinced now =)