The good ole days....

Since "she who shall not be named" has left there has been a dearth of music threads. Here goes (and be assured I am quite ready for the questioning of my sexuality et al)......

So my daughter turns 11 a couple weeks ago and she asks for money so she can go buy herself Ipod touch. So we do, and she does and the last few days have been filled with her buying up songs to fill it. Basically now I've lost a few thousand brain cells after enduring hours of Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Usher, Rhianna, Beiber and Miley.

So I am left to wonder.......what are the chances that there will ever be another one of these? An artist. With talent.

YouTube - Annie Lennox- Why

YouTube - Annie Lennox No more i love you's live

YouTube - Annie Lennox Many Rivers to Cross American Idol Gives Back 2008

YouTube - Annie Lennox - Bridge Over Troubled Water HQ (Sport Relief, 19.03.2010)

Comments

• Annie Lennox rawks, Chris. Just as in delivery systems, the industry has changed in terms of who will be marketed. Rare will be the Gaga's that make it to the front pages of the entertainment world. You should actually give her a chance, as she has quite a bit of talent behind that insanity.

But, in this auto-tuned world, pretty sells, and any deficiencies can be cured in the studio, or even on the stage these days. Oh to hear a true recording of Beyonce, or Rihanna, without all the electronic assists. Could be funny
  • Pretty sells as they have no other talent. Seriously . Bands and artists today would have never got recording contracts 20-30 yrs ago. It just shows how much things have changed over the last 3 decades.
    Me thinks the talent pool is awfully thin these days.
  • YouTube - Bob Segar - Old Time Rock N' Roll

Thread made me think of this. You guys need a porch, a couple of rocking chairs, whittling sticks and a spitoon.
  • old time rock and roll is pure awesomeness!!

Thread made me think of this. You guys need a porch, a couple of rocking chairs, whittling sticks and a spitoon.

Don't forget to beat your woman
  • Since "she who shall not be named" has left there has been a dearth of music threads. Here goes (and be assured I am quite ready for the questioning of my sexuality et al)......

So my daughter turns 11 a couple weeks ago and she asks for money so she can go buy herself Ipod touch. So we do, and she does and the last few days have been filled with her buying up songs to fill it. Basically now I've lost a few thousand brain cells after enduring hours of Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Usher, Rhianna, Beiber and Miley.

So I am left to wonder.......what are the chances that there will ever be another one of these? An artist. With talent.

YouTube - Annie Lennox- Why

YouTube - Annie Lennox No more i love you's live

YouTube - Annie Lennox Many Rivers to Cross American Idol Gives Back 2008

YouTube - Annie Lennox - Bridge Over Troubled Water HQ (Sport Relief, 19.03.2010)

isohunt

That Bob Segar track makes me think of this Bob Segar track....not really about poker/gambling, but many of us card players misinterpret it.

BTW - Annie Lennox is great. :)

YouTube - Bob Seger - Still The Same
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    isohunt

Yeah, but we're caught trying to teach life lessons at the same time re value of $1, stealing/sharing.

I refuse to drop a dime of my own money on that shit.....hell even music I like I'll "borrow", but this is different.
  • there's talent its just not on the radio and such, even extremely more so than a few years ago the pop on the radio is sooo contrived.....generally the indie music these days gets popular enough to sustain a decent income/following, but if your not connected to it you will never here of these bands. back in the day the good music with rock and soul would end up mainstream, nowadays not so.

how about

bedouin soundclash
    jack johnson

lights....certainly not your type of music but she claims she writes it all the songs and does all the music herself....just a kid.

what about kings of leon.....

but no one beats the band that i just newly found out who they were.
  • Since I am technically challanged. Bob Seeger is good, Night Moves and Hollywood Nights are 2 of my favorites. But being a drummer for so many years I am a BIG RUSH fan (Neil Peart) . Also the fact that they are Canadian is a big factor in my choice.
    I can't get it over here from uboobtube but there is a clip of him playing during the Buddy Rich Tribute.
    Never really took to Annie Lennox but no doubt she can sing.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Since I am technically challanged. Bob Seeger is good, Night Moves and Hollywood Nights are 2 of my favorites. But being a drummer for so many years I am a BIG RUSH fan (Neil Peart) . Also the fact that they are Canadian is a big factor in my choice.
    I can't get it over here from uboobtube but there is a clip of him playing during the Buddy Rich Tribute.
    Never really took to Annie Lennox but no doubt she can sing.

YouTube - Rush- limelight i love you man
    Pretty sells as they have no other talent.

Cause

• I will readily agree to the lack of talent shown by acts/groups nowdays vs yesteryear. These three current acts always make music I enjoy and their videos range from interesting visuals to hilarious to deep/meaningful.

YouTube - Sara Bareilles - King Of Anything

YouTube - Maroon 5 - Misery

YouTube - Colbie Caillat - Fallin' For You

Enjoy!
  • I can remember picking up Pennywhistles and Moonpies for but a Strawpenny.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I can remember picking up Pennywhistles and Moonpies for but a Strawpenny.

But were you hanging an onion from your belt? I understand it was the style at the time . . . :D
  • darbday wrote: »
    but no one beats the band that i just newly found out who they were.

The Band rocks as well.

I just turned 30, but I've been listening to oldies since I was in my teens. Used to listen to AM radio in the car in Uni. Started listening to big band stuff from the 30s and 40s overseas.

Being in Asia the last 7 years, I've lost track of most new artists, but I always loved Danko Jones. From Toronto and no one can work the crowd in a small venue like he can.
  • any of you easters heard of lowest of the low....best canadian band every....and no one even know them here.
  • You speak heresy, sir . . . RUSH, is the greatest ever.

followed very closely by Nickelback . . . :bs:
  • well today was supposed to be a day of grinding mtts, but having way too much fun watchin live concerts on youtube. its been a while.

as for my type of music... Im almost 24, but I have a fairly wide range of tunes to listen to. Recently I have been getting more into the jack johnson, dave matthews type of stuff. But typically I like most 90s stuff, some 80s. Any earlier and your going back a wee bit too far for me.

There is a newish song out by mumford and sons called "little lion man" which I enjoy...And also another one by Broken Bells "the high road." Both seem to be getting a lot of attention right now on the radio...
    any of you easters heard of lowest of the low....best canadian band every....and no one even know them here.
    Never heard of them .

West Coast; Prism - Chilliwack - Bryan Adams - Collin James and the Headpins
  • Milo wrote: »

followed very closely by Nickelback . . . :bs:
    almost left the forum until the yellow man raised his flag.
    any of you easters heard of lowest of the low....best canadian band every....and no one even know them here.

A few years ago I thought the next "best canadian band ever(y)" was going to be Wide Mouth Mason. Tight band, great unique sound and no chance of making if past the wishes of the craptastic masses.
  • A few years ago I thought the next "best canadian band ever(y)" was going to be Wide Mouth Mason. Tight band, great unique sound and no chance of making if past the wishes of the craptastic masses.

They opened up for the Guess Who during the 2000 Running Back Across Canada Tour. We saw them at the Molson Amplitheater. I couldn't see them being the next big act. They were okay though.
  • I agree with Milo. Rush is and always will be the best to ever come out of this country. Of course I am biased as they are my favorite, I have yet to see anyone come even close to playing their instruments as well as they do.
    I agree with Milo. Rush is and always will be the best to ever come out of this country. Of course I am biased as they are my favorite, I have yet to see anyone come even close to playing their instruments as well as they do.

I dunno, Philli is supposedly a world record holder at playing with his instrument :o BAZINGA!
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    BAZINGA!

Do you watch the big bang theory???? God I love that show....
  • I have the first 2 seasons on DVD, waiting for 3 to come out! And they bloody moved it to Thursday nights now thank goodness! There was just too much TV to watch Mondays.
    I dunno, Philli is supposedly a world record holder at playing with his instrument :o BAZINGA!
    Is this why he has trouble shuffling the deck at live games..:)

NO SOUP FOR YOU !
    I have the first 2 seasons on DVD, waiting for 3 to come out! And they bloody moved it to Thursday nights now thank goodness! There was just too much TV to watch Mondays.

Honestly, PVR is the greatest thing since sliced bread.... it doesn't matter what is on what night now! I still get to catch BAZINGA whenever I want!!! Do you know when the new episodes start again??

Sorry for the threadjack... :-[