Hamilton Poker League

Welcome to Steel City Getaway (SCG) Poker! We are an equity league based in Hamilton, ON with the goal of sending at least one player as our representative to the 2011 Pokerstars Caribbean Adventure in January of 2011.
The league has a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=100567279990241&ref=ts), titled Steel City Getaway. It has a bunch of info on there.

The buy-in is as follows:

$50/player per week - $40 will go to the prize pool, $1 will go to supplies cost, and $9 will go to the major tourney entry fund. The league will have a season of 28 weeks. (NOTE: We are currently in Week 9 as of this posting). You will earn points towards the major tourney entry by your placement during play each week.

The weekly tourneys will run on a 10% payout structure that is top heavy. With 50 players, for example: $1000-1st, $600-2nd, $250-3rd, $100-4th, $50-5th. Tournaments have a Snyder patience factor of 6.39, which is excellent for such a low buyin tournament (players start 120 BB deep).

League play (Assuming a minimum of 50 players average per week for 28 weeks) will send one (1) player to a $5250 NL Freeze out and 1 player to a $1600 or 1100 NL Freeze out, based on point accumulation. Flight and accommodations are included. The target tournament is the annual Pokerstars Caribbean Adventure series held in the Bahamas every January. If we average more than 50 players per week, the point prizes will be increased. They will also be adjusted if they average less than 50 players per week. The target is to send at least one player to $5250 freeze out with flight and accommodation costs included. The successful qualifier(s) who plays in the big buyin tournament will keep 75% of whatever prize they win, with the remaining 25% being distributed to league members who have played a certain minimum number of league tournaments. Therefore, this league serves as a season long satellite competition AND an equity tournament for other league members to share in the prizes. To participate, players must sign up and pay a one time registration fee of $5, which will go the major tourney entry fund. This is being done to ensure the minimum number of legal hassles and ensure that this is a "Members Only" league. If you want to play, you have to be a member.

We run on Monday nights, 7 PM start time, with half hour late registration. We will also have added dates (Thursdays) on July 29th, August 19th, September 16th, October 14th, and November 18th.

As well, we are running separate “STEPS” style STT’s to send someone to the 10k Main event. The STEPS satties are as follows:

· STEP 1 – 8 Players x $20/Player = 1st & 2nd get STEP 2 seats ($75) plus $10 rake
1000 chips/10 minute blinds. Blinds start at 25/25.
· STEP 2 – 8 Players x $75/Player = 1st gets STEP 3 seat ($600)
1500 chips/15 minute blinds. Blinds start 25/25.
· STEP 3 – 24 Players x $600/Player = 1st gets $10300 PCA Main Event Entry, 2nd gets $1100 side event entry. Flight and accommodations included.
3000 chips/20 minute blinds. Blinds start at 25/25

The successful STEP 3 players (both first and second) must give 25% of any winnings into an equity pool to be distributed evenly to all the STEP 3 participants.

For specific enquiries and times/location/direction, please contact either Stefan at endgamer@hotmail.com or Paul (league organizer) at pokerkingz@hotmail.com. Please reference "SCG League" in the Subject line, to make it easier to sort through junk mail filters. We hope to see you there!

Comments

• I am interested in this, seeing as its in Hamilton. I have sent two e-mails for more info but have not heard back from the OP. Anyone else on the forum playing in this ? I only sent the e-mail on Friday and one earlier today, so its not that bad that I have not heard back yet. It's just that they play on Mondays, and well, its Monday.
  • Let us know what you find out.. If it's good I may be interested..
  • compuease wrote: »
    Let us know what you find out.. If it's good I may be interested..
    Maybe they are not getting the numbers they hoped for.
  • I got a call from on of the organizers and am waiting to get location details. I am planning on playing tonight so I will come back with a full report for those interested.
  • I'm looking for a good game in Hamilton.

The way this is set up it looks like you would be a severe disadvantage if you join this part way through the season.
  • Went and played last night. The organizer has big plans for this league and he is very passionate about it. Well organized and a good group of players. Very friendly towards new comers and the trash talking (all in good fun) keeps the game fun.

Starting stack is $3000 chips and blinds start at 25/25 and go up every 15 minutes for the first three levels then its every 20 minutes. There were 17 players last night and the game ended at 10:30pm and started at 7pm.

The one draw back is that the standings and points hinder mid season sign ups. The $10 per week that go to the finals is good for those that started at the beginning but for anyone joining now it would be difficult at this point to make the final table at season's end.

For those interested, it would be worth contacting OP and come out at least once before the next season starts, to check it out for yourself.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Went and played last night. The organizer has big plans for this league and he is very passionate about it. Well organized and a good group of players. Very friendly towards new comers and the trash talking (all in good fun) keeps the game fun.

Starting stack is $3000 chips and blinds start at 25/25 and go up every 15 minutes for the first three levels then its every 20 minutes. There were 17 players last night and the game ended at 10:30pm and started at 7pm.

The one draw back is that the standings and points hinder mid season sign ups. The $10 per week that go to the finals is good for those that started at the beginning but for anyone joining now it would be difficult at this point to make the final table at season's end.

For those interested, it would be worth contacting OP and come out at least once before the next season starts, to check it out for yourself.

Sounds very similar to our Monday night league here in Milton, starts at 7:30 and finishes about 11.. cept we have 10K, starting at 25/50, 15 min blinds
  • compuease wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to our Monday night league here in Milton, starts at 7:30 and finishes about 11.. cept we have 10K, starting at 25/50, 15 min blinds

With the amount of rocks you have in your game, I'm surprised last night's game isn't still going. :)
    With the amount of rocks you have in your game, I'm surprised last night's game isn't still going. :)

Afraid? lol :)

We will return to the tables, as soon as everyone wakes!
  • I am new to this site. I just googled poker tourneys in hamilton and found this thread. My soon to be wife and I are both members, it is a great league in it's infancy and growing very friendly and fun. My STBW(soon to be wife) and I play at Fallsview 2-3 times a week but like the league to keep up our tourney play. A few of the members are talking about buying in Pokerstars Caribbean Adventure in January of 2011 if the do not win a seat it would be great to have a group of us down there to cheer each other on. Come out and meet us and have a great time. I hope to seee some new faces.
    P.S. we had 2 new faces come out on Monday and they placed 2nd and 3rd
  • I'd be interested in this too! Where's it at?
  • Where's the Milton League?
  • Where's the Milton League?

It's held in a bar in Milton.. Every Monday at 7:30
  • we are in hamilton pm me for the address