Options

calibrating things

where do we get say a centimeter or a pound from. i remember when i was a young or something a teacher saying the calibrate a pound to something in england......any ideas?

Comments

• I was wondering how you got 1000 posts so quickly.
  • darbday wrote: »
    where do we get say a centimeter or a pound from. i remember when i was a young or something a teacher saying the calibrate a pound to something in england......any ideas?
    You're asking poker players this ? lol
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I was wondering how you got 1000 posts so quickly.
    I was wondering how you can Play a tourney on line. Win It! post and surf all at the same time.

i once ate eggs and toast 3 meals a day for 3 months to see the effects on the mind.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    You're asking poker players this ? lol

this is a talented crowd in many ways.
  • Hobbes wrote: »

eat it hv

Hobbes FTW....
  • From wiki:

After the International Prototype Kilogram had been found to vary in mass over time, the International Committee for Weights and Measures
    ....recommended in 2005 that the kilogram be redefined in terms of a fundamental constant of nature.[3]

No final decision is expected before 2011
  • Okay, but what about a "baker's dozen"?

I already know . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Okay, but what about a "baker's dozen"?

I already know . . .

AJ?

You makes me laugh sir
  • A Baker's dozen refers to the practice of selling 13 rolls for the price of 12. In one of the first consumer advocacy laws anywhere, England enacted a law which made it a crime to "short" consumers who purchased bread rolls. 12 rolls were required to weigh "X" amount. Most bakeries, in order to avoid any penalty, began putting 13 rolls in every order of a dozen, thus ensuring they were above the minimum weight, hence the origin of the term.
  • I miss Baker's dozen doughnuts!
  • philliivey wrote: »
    I miss Baker's dozen doughnuts!

Ya, there disgusting coffee was so good after a night of drinking.

You think you are getting ripped by your dealer again?
  • The metre (or meter), symbol m, is the base unit of length in the International System of Units (SI). Originally intended to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the Earth's equator to the North Pole, its definition has been periodically refined to reflect growing knowledge of metrology. Since 1983, it is defined as the distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second.

This is one reason why metric is the shiznit, it is precise and it's the same everywhere

Imperial on the other hand.....

A foot (plural: feet or foot;[1] abbreviation or symbol: ft or ′ – the prime symbol) is a non-SI unit of length in a number of different systems including English units, Imperial units, and United States customary units. Its size can vary from system to system, but in each is around a quarter to a third of a meter. The most commonly used foot today is the international foot. There are three feet in a yard and 12 inches in a foot

The only thing to keep from this system is the Pint as it synonymous with BEER.
  • And don't forget that Gold is weighed in Troy weight as opposed to Avoir du Pois (sp?) Gold is 12 oz to the pound whereas everything else is 16 oz. to the pound.

And yanks wonder why everyone else switched to metric? Sheeeesh . . .
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    Since 1983, it is defined as the distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second.

yes but to define a second you imply a distance.
  • Milo wrote: »
    And don't forget that Gold is weighed in Troy weight as opposed to Avoir du Pois (sp?) Gold is 12 oz to the pound whereas everything else is 16 oz. to the pound.

And yanks wonder why everyone else switched to metric? Sheeeesh . . .

um...not just the states milo.......but also....burma?
  • moose wrote: »
    You think you are getting ripped by your dealer again?

we don't rip each other off in bc, plenty to go around ^-^
    um...not just the states milo.......but also....burma?

The defense rests . . . ^-^