Never again!

Monday is my son and daughter's soccer night, and they are short one referee, so I get pressed to referee my son's game! Having begged off coaching this year, the organizer rails me into this job!

Everything is going nicely, with very little controversy until the second half, when my son's team starts a nice break out of their end. A long pass down the left side finds my son and he gets a leg hacked out from under him just outside the penalty area. This happens literally 6 inches from the line, and since everyones' momentum carries them forward, my son falls about 3 yards inside the area. I blow the whistle, and award a free kick(direct), and the yelling starts from the sideline, from my son's coach, parents, and, wait for it.... my wife!!! "Penalty shot!", "C'mon ref!", "Open your eyes!"

What a thankless job!!! Never again!!!

Comments

• Boot her!
  • Boy that must have been some car ride home, ref . . . I've been there. Reffed my niece's game once as a fill-in. Her team sucked but somehow they are tied with about 10 minutes to go. They get a break through the middle and the niece is chugging down the field with the ball on a clean break-away. The striker (the only really good player on the team) pulls along side and noses in front of the niece. Naturally, she passes ahead to the better player, to ensure the goal . . . and forces me to blow the whistle for the off-side.

My sister would not speak to me for a week.
  • In the entire league parental pool, I believe there are exactly 3 that understand offsides!
  • Been there man. Reffing is as thankless as coaching somedays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Women are the worst ones for this type of thing imo. I refereed hockey for about 6 years, and I had more wives (twice) come screaming to my dressing room after the game, than fathers. Not sure what it is....

Refereeing is not fun at all ....But it is a good source of income, and takes serious mental toughness! It takes a lot not to turn around and tell those moms off...

Most fun part of refereeing though is kicking fans out of games. Had to do this twice or three times too...
  • reibs wrote: »
    Most fun part of refereeing though is kicking fans out of games. Had to do this twice or three times too...

I ref'd high school basketball for a few years, many moons ago, and the most fun I ever had was tossing a former teacher of mine who was coaching!

Good times!
  • My Father helped to found Ching Minor Hockey and was a long time referee, with a rep of being "by the book". He only ever reffed one of my games. In the latter stages of the game, my D partner got caught pinching and I had to come across the width of the ice to stop the break-away, sliding into the forward and the puck at the same time. Dad did not see it that way, and I got 2 minutes for tripping . . .

in a Father/Son game. ;)