weak draws

Hey Dave I would appreciate it if you and anybody else could help me this.

This is a huge problem for me which occurs when I have a weak draw.

Say I have 9c-7c in small blind. 7 limpers and the big blind and myself call. The flop comes 10h-6s-2c. (9 small bets)

I can deduce that I have 4 outs for my gutshot. I also can deduce that I have 1.5 outs for my backdoor flush draw. For a total of 5.5 outs.

Since I am in the small blind on the flop, if the big blind checks and i bet and get raised or raised and reraised I have made an error.

However if I check, then the person behind me bets and everyone calls I will be getting 17-1 pot odds to call which is clearly profitable to at least call and perhaps raise. This is one case in which checking and calling with a weak draw from an early position is favourable.

***When you have a weak draw and are in early position wouldn't it always be best to check and call in order to see if you are getting the right pot odds? Is this one case when checking and calling is a proper strategy?****

Comments

• There are lots of times when checking and calling is the proper situation.

In this case, against 8 opponents it is very unlikely that you can win the pot by betting. So, why bet? Semi-bluffing is only a good play if there is some chance that the bluff will succeed. If it will not, then it is a bad play and against 8 opponents I am VERY doubtful.

Check and if it is a single bet back to you then call. If it's raise, muck.

Also, be careful putting too much stock in "backdoor flush" as 1.5 outs. In this case, that's 1.5 outs to a nine-high flush. Yuck.