New Poker Goal

I have basically quit live poker for now and initially thought I'd try out MTTs -- I just don't have the time to put into them on a regular basis. I like being able to play for an hour here and there when I get a chance.

So, I decided a couple of weeks ago to try out a game that I haven't had a chance to play live for over 2 years -- since I moved out here from Toronto -- Stud8.

I deposited $380US into Stars and have run it up to $1600 over a few weeks playing mainly 2/4 and 5/10 with some shots at 10/20 when the games look good.

Watching the 30 60 it is DEFINITELY beatable. I would say that in some respects the 30 60 is softer than 5/10 or 10/20...very juicy game at times.

So, the goal is to get this initial $380 up to $6000 by the end of December and then go from there. I had been VERY sporadic in my play until I started playing stud8 again, so hopefully this rekindled joy of the game will motivate me to get in a decent number of hands. If I can get to $10k I will start taking shots at the 30 60. The final goal is to be a regular in that game rebuilding from the ground up.

It's not about the money (for now) but more of a challenge for myself to beat this game. Hopefully, if I can get to 30 60 then it will be about the money:)

I'm actually kind of excited about playing for the first time in over a year and I'm sure you will all be enthralled about the intricacies of Stud8. It's tough to get in tonnes of hands as there is limited game selection at times and you really can't play more than 3 tables (well I can't) without losing big edges of tracking door cards, but I' hoping to get in some decent sessions.

Here is a graph of the first few weeks representing roughly 65 table hours or 30ish hours of real-time play:

Untitled-15.jpg

Comments

• gl!

Stud8 you say, hmmmmmmmm

Those long lines going down is scary.
  • How in the world do you take shots at 10/20 with a bankroll of less than 100 big bets?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    How in the world do you take shots at 10/20 with a bankroll of less than 100 big bets?

You've got to remember, this is not his "life" bankroll he's "investing" here like so many of the kids playing this game. It could easily be replenished out of pocket money if lost, like most of us "older" folks playing the game who also have steady non poker incomes. We don't have the pressures or concerns over losing our bankroll... :)
    Actually mine's not steady, I rely on ddmilcan and the like calling me often.:)
    Nobody got computer issues today?
  • compuease wrote: »

to a GUT SHOT Straight!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had Compuease's money, I'd melt both of mine!

Milton Slim
  • I'm kinda jealous ^^'
    You've got to remember, this is not his "life" bankroll he's "investing" here like so many of the kids playing this game. It could easily be replenished out of pocket money if lost, like most of us "older" folks playing the game who also have steady non poker incomes. We don't have the pressures or concerns over losing our bankroll... :)

I was doing basic maintenance on computer last night, so if something goes wrong i will need you,lol
  • philliivey wrote: »
    I was doing basic maintenance on computer last night, so if something goes wrong i will need you,lol
    Just ask... :)
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    How in the world do you take shots at 10/20 with a bankroll of less than 100 big bets?

1. This isn't my entire bankroll, but it is what I'm working with for now.

2. I feel variance in stud8 is much lower than NLH or even LHE in lower (up to 10 20) limits. I am very comfortable with a 100bb bankroll up to 5 10 and 150bb at 10 20.

3. Taking shots isn't really the best term as I used to play live 15/30 stud8 with a kill, but I guess with this partial bankroll that is what I consider it.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    gl!

Stud8 you say, hmmmmmmmm

Those long lines going down is scary.

They are just bad luck...the upward lines are skillz
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I have basically quit live poker for now and initially thought I'd try out MTTs --

be more interested to see your MTT graph over the last couple of months.
  • I only played a couple of short sessions since the original post...here is an updated graph including my razz hands I forgot to include.

I won't be playing much in July as I will be travelling for a few weeks, but things are looking good so far:

Untitled-17.jpg

Thanks dad;)
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Thanks dad;)

lol, geesh I got a lot of kids on here...... My wife wonders about me...
  • Hey GTA, How did you get started in S8?

I consider myself a fairly solid razz player, and have entered a few micro horse tournies. I obviously have no idea what I'm doing in stud hi, and S8 I'm basically only playing A25 one suit kind of thing.

Any tips? I'm fairly competent in tracking door cards in razz, so i do the same in stud, but I have no idea what it means.
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    Hey GTA, How did you get started in S8?

I consider myself a fairly solid razz player, and have entered a few micro horse tournies. I obviously have no idea what I'm doing in stud hi, and S8 I'm basically only playing A25 one suit kind of thing.

Any tips? I'm fairly competent in tracking door cards in razz, so i do the same in stud, but I have no idea what it means.

When I first started playing poker 7 years ago or so I played holdem and LO8 so the transition to S8 was fairly easy for me. When I moved back to Toronto there was a sweet S8/LO8 rotation game at an underground I played...it was my favourite night of the week playing that game. I feel that stud variants are one of the highest skill games due to the extra street of betting and the skill of remembering all the dead cards each deal while still assessing players, etc. I always loved S8 since I first started playing.

I'm probably an average stud hi player. I have never played much straight stud hi other than in mixed games and mixed MTTs. To me it is a game with much higher variance/with some more luck involved -- racing to 2 pair, etc. Whereas stud 8 feels to me to be a game of more complete information.

If you are a good razz player I think you will also be a good stud8 player. I started playing razz after S8 and for be it was an easy transition. I would recommend the vids by Joe Tall on Deuces Cracked if you want some finer points that will help refine your game (I watched a few vids there around 3 years ago so look for those and there are probably s few newer ones that I haven't seen). I think you can get a free pass on there for 7 days and d/l all the vids you want and then cancel prior to the trial ending. I play a bit differently from what he recommends and I mix my game up a bit because it is a pretty small player pool and you are often playing regs. If you have specific hands you want to go over just post in this thread and we will go from there.
  • Hmmm...forgot about this. Ended-up cashing out around 3k after getting bored last summer -- am going to give it a shot again sometime soon.
  • Well I don't know, this thread may not be real.

Or it may be exactly the same as another thread:o