God Damned Cats!

Come home from the movies today and one of my two wonderful cats had pooped on my blanket. Thankfully, when I flopped on the bed, I laid down beside it and not in it (had I actually landed in it, this thread would be in the BBV section). They've taken over the last month or so to peeing in the dirty laundry basket and on any clothes/bedding left on the floor. So, my questions are as follows:

A - WHY?!

B - How do I stop this from happening anymore?

C - If I can't stop it, how much would the chinese food place pay for them?

Comments

• Tell the girlfriend it's either you or them:D
  • Nice smartass. They're my cats not hers.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Nice smartass. They're my cats not hers.

ok, so she will be saying it then.:p
  • are they fixed?
  • reibs wrote: »
    are they fixed?

Yup, got them both done at about 6 months old. They're 3 now. This happened once before in the past like 2 years ago and I can't remember for the bloody life of me why it was happening.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Yup, got them both done at about 6 months old. They're 3 now. This happened once before in the past like 2 years ago and I can't remember for the bloody life of me why it was happening.

Do you clean their litter enough? Or are you glued to the internet pokerz too much? lol ....

our cats go on strike if we dont clean their litter like every other day. They start crapping just beside the litter box.

dam things!
  • This type of activity usually comes from a change in routine. Are they being left at home alone more than usual? Is there a new pet or child in the home, or is your girlfriend pregnant (that is a fairly common cause of this behavior, they can sense the hormonal changes)? Are you packing to move? Etc...

A vet might be able to prescribe something that might reduce their stress/anxiety.
  • You should have 3 litter boxes for 2 cats as a start.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    You should have 3 litter boxes for 2 cats as a start.

that was my thought too.
  • 4 cats, 4 boxes, emptied daily, no issues. They all seem to "share", so I am curious why you (GTA) suggest 3 boxes for 2 cats?
  • Cats, when thoroughly cooked well on a the BBQ, is actually a quite nice.

Remains can be buried in the garden to act as high quality fertilizer.

And no more shit in the bed.

Win/Win/Win if you ask me
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    You should have 3 litter boxes for 2 cats as a start.

I've been reading/hearing this too. I've never had a problem with only one cat box for two or even three cats as long as I cleaned it daily. I haven't been doing it daily for the last few weeks, so I'm hoping that was the issue and it will essentially fix itself as I start cleaning it daily again.
  • BrennerM wrote: »
    This type of activity usually comes from a change in routine. Are they being left at home alone more than usual? Is there a new pet or child in the home, or is your girlfriend pregnant (that is a fairly common cause of this behavior, they can sense the hormonal changes)? Are you packing to move? Etc...

A vet might be able to prescribe something that might reduce their stress/anxiety.

No new pets or babies or anything like that (my gf nearly fainted when she read thepart about them sensing hormone changes). I have been away for a night every other night for about a week now. Home last night, no issues.
  • Cats are a strange animal. If their box isn't cleaned they will Crap on one of the wardens favorite places. Bed , your chair etc . Keep the box clean and they will probably not do it again.
  • Milo wrote: »
    4 cats, 4 boxes, emptied daily, no issues. They all seem to "share", so I am curious why you (GTA) suggest 3 boxes for 2 cats?

I thought the usual rule of thumb was # cats +1 because some cats don't like to share and some cats won't shit where they pee.

If as humans we need multiple bathrooms for the same reasons - we don't like to use the can right after someone else did #2 in there, should we expect our cats to be any different?
  • Multiple bathrooms in a single family home is a rather recent development (20-30 years?), more because we're lazy and don't want to go upstairs just to take a leak. I hesitate to say it's a luxury item, but w/e. As for house cats, they're cats. I love my 4 furballs, but they remain cats. They are fine with 1 box per, imo. Otherwise, you'd go crazy dealing with the asshole cat that just has to pee in the finicky cat's box.
    Nope, 1 box per cat, and empty them daily.
  • Thanks for all the help guys! Appreciate it. So far, I've done the following:

-keeping litter cleaner instead of being a lazy douche
    -keeping bedroom door closed (gf prefers it anywas as she doesn't like animals in the bed... except me... BAZINGA!)
    -realized I grabbed a different litter last time so going to switch that and see if it helps.

About half a day after I posted this thread, one of them crapped on the blanket IN the bed. Little buggers. I figured out my video camera has a motion sensor deal, so if it persists, might set that up in the apartment and see what happens.
  • I'm about 95% sure its the different litter

My friend grabbed an "emergency" litter from the corner store. It was scented, and they were used to non-scented. As a result, the cats shit on the floor for a month.

Use your original litter, and to get the scent out, throw some baking soda at the bottom of the litter (enough to just slightly cover the bottom), then stack the litter on top. That should do the trick.
  • ya a different litter 'might' be it. also when cleaning the litter boxes do you empty them and wash them? also once they start going somewhere its harder to get them to stop going there, so closing the door would be good etc....when they get back to the routine then it should be good. are you sure its both or maybe one is having problems....