New July Project

Background...

Jan/47 The Hogue brothers (local trappers and settlers) are trapping on Azure Lake (in the now Wells Gray Park). John Hogue falls ill, his brother snowshoes out the 3 days (approx 100km) to go get help. Harry Bray borrows(I think) a plane from the Kamloops flying club and goes into get the trapper.
Plane lands on the frozen lake but the skiis go through the ice and gets jammed. The pilot and Hogue jam some small logs through the struts and try to get it lifted up and out of the ice, but to no avail.
3 days later another plane comes in and picks up the sick trapper and pilot, as he (pilot) had arranged for someone to come looking for them if he wasn't back.

Spring comes, plane lands on the bottom of the lake as the thaw comes.

10 years ago..

I am talking with my grandmother (local historian) and she mentions this airplane and my interest is piqued. My brother in law, who is a scuba diver, says I should get my ticket and we should go looking..

4 years ago

I get my scuba ticket and start looking more into this airplane business, but not getting much. Found a guy with a sonar who said he would go looking with me, but never came through

Last Summer...

Float plane crashes into Azure lake. Recovery service goes in to locate the plane for insurance company...The recovery team hears about "my" plane and does a search...and finds it in 200' of water sitting there nice and pretty!

Down in the deep: Interior lakes offer up treasures | Local Business | Kamloops Daily News

This Spring...

I tracked down Gary from GP Recovery service and expressed my interest in the airplane and after some discussion and emails and finally a meeting with him and his wife, Penny....got invited on to the dive/recovery team!

We went up to the lake with the ROV this spring and located the plane again.

All the salvage permits are in place, archeological permits, park permits..etc and we get to go pull this little sweetheart out of the water in July!!

The plane is a Tiger Moth biplane, "Ordered by USAAF as PT-24 42-1099; then to Lend-Lease as RAF FE235. Used at No. 35 Elementary Flying Training School at Neepawa, Manitoba. Had 2309:15 airframe time when struck off. To civil register as CF-CII. Sank through the ice of Azure Lake, BC, while taxiing, on 2 January 1947."

Here are a few photos, and more on the story to come!

Brass tipped prop

TigerMoth002.jpg

Inverted engine

TigerMoth003.jpg

sights

TigerMoth004.jpg

overhead fuel guage

TigerMoth005.jpg

And here is what it will look like one day again. It will go to the BC Air Museum for a full restoration once it comes out of the water.

TigerMoth_ZK-CCH_preserved_airworthy_NZ.jpg

Comments

• Yowza . . . a Tiger Moth was the first model airplane I ever built as a kid. My Mom though I should have something Canadian to build. That is going to be a sweet plane.

Will you be keeping it after it is restored, or selling to some rich collector?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Yowza . . . a Tiger Moth was the first model airplane I ever built as a kid. My Mom though I should have something Canadian to build. That is going to be a sweet plane.

Funny, after getting involved with the project I went out and bought two model kits to build myself. :)

I also went to the Langley Air Museum where they have a flying one and got a close up with the mechanic on how it all goes together/comes apart...as we will be pulling it apart underwater.

Will you be keeping it after it is restored, or selling to some rich collector?

No, it will be staying at the BC Air Museum for all to enjoy :) I am hoping to get a few parts and pieces that they have to rebuild for our local museum as well.
  • That is so cool. Hopefully you get your name on the plaque, somewhere . . .

Just saw a show several weeks back on the deHavilland Beaver. Apparently Harrison Ford had one restored for his personal use.
  • Like I say, I am hoping to get some parts of the plane for our museum, that will be good enough for me.

And the documentary Discovery Channel will be doing on it while we are pulling it out..lol. They are scheduled to be on site for 3 days when it is ready to come out of the water.