(Un)official MMA sports betting thread

Over the past few months I have made a nice sum of money betting on UFC fights with some of my old live poker bankroll, so I thought I would start a thread to discuss upcoming fights/lines. I don't bet a lot of fight but put a decent amount of money on what I consider almost locks -- when the UFC throws in former champs that should have retired a couple years ago it is hard not to get a chunk of money in there (eg. Franklin vs Lidell, Nogueira, Couture, etc).

Last night was my first losing night in a long time. I only bet on one fight taking Jardine at +140 was too good to pass up imo it was a flip and with that line I had to take it. I think the ridiculous point deduction made Jardine force things too much and ultimately lose the fight so I am not too upset with my pick given the circumstances of the win.

Upcoming lines for UFC 116:

265.png

I don't see any spots and so far won't be wagering on any of the fights.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I haven't bet on UFC consistently - just taking a fight here and there although I was 2-0 for the past 2 cards (Franklin > Liddell and Cro Cop > Barry in 115, Evans > Jackson and Hathaway > Sanchez in 114)

Not a big fan of any of these lines to really make a bet - maybe when the event draw closer than we will see some movement.
  • i know all the boys that train in my city, if you keep posting and i hear off something outstanding ill let you know.
  • Take Tuchscherer thats a sweet pick, not too many people know him, and he would have destroyed Gonzaga if not for the kick in the balls. This is actually a good underdog event as I would consider making plays on any of those dogs except for Bonnar. Would take Carwin as I'm never a big fan of fighters first fight back from a long layoff.
  • No unlike boxing, this has to be one of the easiest games to "fix".

Question is... what side is the fix on?

naw, these boys were training there asses off well before the ufc was like this...some have 30+ grueling matches behind them and 1000's of hours of getting punched in the face to get there. guys get broken arms, busted noses and eye sockets, giant cuts, blown joint, chocked unconscious, knocked out and so on. there are genuine beefs between guys that started well before there stint in the ufc. they train to win and be the best fighter, it means alot and they are very competitive. people sometimes think its set up because the fights don't look like the movies....real fighting is really boring.

the only setting up is the match ups, many times ringers will be thrown in with someone who they will obviously crush to get them a good title shot and fans behind them. look at leben vs anderson silva. people were shocked but dana and the likes knew silva was gonna crush leben.

also when a champ goes down in an awful way i chalk it up to mis timed pain killers. i see alot of guys step in the ring and look like they just let themselves get beat up but i really think they were stoned.

its not rigged if thats what you meant.

Thought tin hats were only for Online Poker
  • I didn't be on any of Saturday's fights. Did anyone make any money?
  • Any thoughts on UFC 118? The consensus on the Couture fight is that it won't be close -- does anyone think Toney is a good bet at +540? Any chance he KO Couture in round one with a quick punch or not?

278.png
  • Only fights I'd take with those lines would be Edgar and Davis.

As always, ymmv.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Only fights I'd take with those lines would be Edgar and Davis.

As always, ymmv.

I don't really like anything on this card...I do like Mir at -200 vs Cro Cop in 119

296.png
  • Take a flier on Doerksen . . .

and never, EVER, put $$$ on Mir. Too much of a flake to ever know which Frank will show up.
  • 118 seems a little meh on betting. 119 I like Jeremy Stephens and lil nog as dogs.

Why don't you like Mir? They only guys he's lost to are the top 2 heavyweights.
  • When he beat Noguiera, Big Nog was coming off a very recent Staph infection, and Mir was not exactly dominant winning that fight. Just tracking his career, he seems a bit of a head case, and therefore (similar to BJ Penn) you don't know what you are going to get from him.

He weathered the storm from Lesnar to patiently take the first fight, but looked like a scared little kid giving up his lunch $$$ in the rematch. Against Carwin, it was more of the same. Now, he may come out a take Cro Cop down and submit him in the first round, but that just emphasizes my point re: inconsistency. I think he should win, but would not bet against Cro Cop's left leg in this one.
  • - means there expected to win right?

mir could win and nog

serra is a better fighter than most think but i don't know much about lytle. and edgar could win but i didn't see their last fight and i expected bj to win...(he lost to edgar didn't he)

florian is overrated and diaz is due for an ass kicking
  • what's the best site for betting on NFL? any give decent first deposit bonuses, etc? just looking to bet on a couple games this weekend. Thanks.