Biggest blown call ever?

So this piqued my interest this morning on the highlights...

YouTube - Armando Galarraga's perfect game Ruined Umpire Blown Call

Some are calling it the worst call in baseball history, some are calling for it to be retroactively changed, and some are saying that the MLB should now employ instant replays - thoughts?

Mark

Comments

• Heard about this on the radio this morning, but didn't see it until now.

Absolutely the most ridiculous call I've seen. Yes, I think replays SHOULD be apart of the game, especially for situations like this one.
  • My thoughts are that this ump must have the biggest balls in the world to make the call that he did. You would have to be 110% sure to call him safe there.
  • Ump has been quoted as saying he thought he had it right UNTIL he saw the replay. Bet he feels like shit now, boy . . .
  • Never

literally hundreds of thousands of correct calls/ a few wrong
    Adds to the intrigue of the game.

The games take long enough now without going to replay on every close call

works the other way too!
    I was playing first base, out pitcher was throwing a no hitter, slow roller to third, third rushes the throw, in the dirt, Istretch to dig it out, doesn't find the pocket, I throw the trapper over the ball and make a quick upwards motion, runner called out, I know I felt his foot first

result, no hitter

Also, don't you like a good umpire/manager argument???
  • Meh. Pitcher drops the ball and the umpire calls him out. Everyone going to cry for an instant replay and correct the call so he doesn't get a perfect game instead?

Dude walks in the first inning and it's the only runner to reach base. We going to go back, analyze every pitch, make sure that there were no mistakes, change a call to a strike and give the guy a perfect game?

Why don't we play the entire game, record it, make sure all the calls are corrected and then play the game on TV so that the fans can see the game with no mistakes.

Get over it.
  • While I agree with you moose, your analogy of the "walk" in the first inning is flawed. If the next batter hits into a double play (or the runner at first is picked off), a perfect game is still possible as there will have been no hits, and the pitcher will have faced the minimum # of batters, correct?
  • I would have called him out regardless just to have 3 perfectos in one year. Umpy wasn't thinking there.

At least Joyce admitted his mistake and apologized to Galarraga.
    Milo wrote: »
    While I agree with you moose, your analogy of the "walk" in the first inning is flawed. If the next batter hits into a double play (or the runner at first is picked off), a perfect game is still possible as there will have been no hits, and the pitcher will have faced the minimum # of batters, correct?

No. Perfect game is 27 up, 27 down. No one reaches base. You are describing a no hitter.
  • Wrong Milo.
    No hitter.
    Perfect game no one reaches base.
  • There are replays allowed to change an officials' error in football and hockey. Why not baseball as well? And if it were determined that the original call was good, penalize the team in making the replay request.
  • How do you penalize in baseball? Give a run?

I personally don't think the instant replay should be in baseball, it ruins the purity of the game. Blown / missed calls, I'd never get rid of 'em. In football, basketball, and hockey they make sense either because there's SO many things going on at once (football), or because it's incredibly fast and close calls (hockey - eg. last night's goal). Basketball I couldn't give a shit about one way or another really, but still. Baseball is a game of sporadic action, it's a mental game. It's still going to have mistakes, but IR would just ruin it moreso. Imagine recalling every third strike that is questionable!

Mark
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    There are replays allowed to change an officials' error in football and hockey. Why not baseball as well? And if it were determined that the original call was good, penalize the team in making the replay request.

You could have a limited number of challenges and if they are wrong it costs the team an out.
  • if u guys look at the view from head on, the pitcher covering 1st didnt have control of the ball.

safe.
  • All games in all sports are too long already. Television has ruined most televised sports.

I hate this shit. Posted already here as a blown call by Jim Joyce. By posting his name they are making it personal and if it was a blown call on any other out but the last out it wouldn't be an issue.

Perfect Games by Pitchers : Perfect Game Box Scores, Perfect Game Stats, Perfect Game Pitchers and more by Baseball Almanac

A perfect game is perfect in every way. Umpires are part of the game. A player could make a mistake. Are they going to post that a perfect game is unofficial because say the second baseman had an error and allowed a player to reach. It's just bullshit. Are they going to complain a perfect game got taken away because a fan interfered with a ball and post his name? WTF. The pitcher could lose his grip because the beer vendor called out at the wrong time. They going post his name? The ball could hit a seagull flying overhead. They going to post the name of the statue that the bird shits on when he is resting. Fuck me. Unbelievable.
  • douchebag wrote: »
    if u guys look at the view from head on, the pitcher covering 1st didnt have control of the ball.

safe.

I'm pretty sure this is false. EVERYWHERE is showing that it was a clear out. If you do look, the pitcher catches the ball, doesn't even bring in his other hand to steady it. He has the ball, he's on the bag.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is false. EVERYWHERE is showing that it was a clear out. If you do look, the pitcher catches the ball, doesn't even bring in his other hand to steady it. He has the ball, he's on the bag.

Mark

Mark;

He looks to have the ball, but he doesnt have CONTROL of the ball.. there's no doubt, he had the ball before the runner, had him by about a step or half step or so. no control (snow cone in this case) = SAFE.

Im not optimistic, I'm a fan of the game, but I can see where the ump had doubts on the runner being safe. Thats all im saying.

-mickey
  • mlb should change the call, they need to win fans back and here is a good opportunity, if not they wreck baseball's image even more.
  • douchebag wrote: »
    if u guys look at the view from head on, the pitcher covering 1st didnt have control of the ball.

safe.
    douchebag wrote: »

-mickey

Fed?
    philliivey wrote: »
    mlb should change the call, they need to win fans back and here is a good opportunity, if not they wreck baseball's image even more.

Nope. Would set a bad precident. I wonder how may nohitters have been "saved" by a blown call.
  • yup, they should do the right thing, I know noone does that anymore these days............... the other team should be going along with supporting the change, if they don't or argue it, they are idiots.

Either way I won't care cause baseball sucks, wake me up when the world series starts:D.
  • I believe the Jays deserve a triple play in the World Series. Please fix.
  • moose wrote: »
    I believe the Jays deserve a triple play in the World Series. Please fix.

+1
  • From the wsop:)

Many tournamnt players, fresh from a bad beat that knocked them out of the tournament, will tell you what a stupid game poker is, if only you'll stop to listen. Today Ted Forrest, Daniel Negreanu and David Grey are talking about a different stupid game.
    "That will be the most meaningful perfect game in baseball," said Negreanu, referring yesterday's non-perfect perfect game pitched by Armando Gallaraga of the Detroit Tigers.
    "You mean an umpire can't reverse his call?" Forrest asked. He seemed genuinely surprised.
    Grey said no. Negreanu then added, "Baseball's a stupid game."
  • I loved the umpire not only admitting he f'd up, but also saying that he didn't blame anyone for anything they said that night as he would have done just that and how classy Galaragga was for not saying anything at all. Good for Joyce.