bizarre online trend

this comes up in tourneys very frequently and I still don't know why it's done. Blinds, stack sizes and board is irrelevant for this example, it's the final move that is..

4 players ABCD.

A limp
B limp
C limp
D raise

A call
B Call
C Call

flop comes

A check
B check
C check
D bet

A fold
B call
C fold

by now the pot is large, let's say 960 in the middle

now the strange part...

The turn comes. B who has just been calling all along decides to lead out and throws out a ridiculous bet of 40 into a 960 pot.

D raises and then B folds

Why does B bother throw a silly bet like that out? 8 out of 10 times that this happens, D raises and B folds.

I suppose it's just a case of donkey-ism but it always baffles me that someone throws out a 40 chip bet into a near 1k pot when they knows they're is beat.

Comments

• I asked a similar question to this awhile back..and the only answer I got that made any sense ...is that these guys are throwing the bet out there in case someone clicked the "check/fold" after being flatted while multitabling....

still seems strange though, but I also see it a lot...or first to act after the flop throws out a min bet...
  • probe or blocking bet? lol
  • They're probably just retarded and there's no reason for betting imo. Probably gonna be botton pair or underpair most of the time or something along the lines. Possibly a set lol
  • gutshots that get there on the river.......
  • You would be surprised how often these bets work.

Ive done it at low limits, and its a very easy way to win large pot.

Assuming the pot is 1K and the blinds are 25-50 it only has to work 1 out of 19ish times to be profitable.
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    vWhy does B bother throw a silly bet like that out? 8 out of 10 times that this happens, D raises and B folds.

As stated - based on this math it is a highly profitable play!
  • Basically the same reason fish limp/call preflop then tiny donkbet/fold the flop in cash games. Pick your silly reasons for throwing money into the pot:

a) Misunderstanding of bet sizing (ie. if 40 is a large bet preflop, 40 is a large bet throughout the hand in their mind) - absolute dollar/chip value rather than relative to pot size - this reason is most likely out of the 3 to not be weakness and will most likely be a donk/call rather than a donk/fold.

b) "Seeing where they're at," "defining opponent's hand," or any other poker cliche that sounds like "strategy" to noobs.

c) Weak attempt at blocking with a weak made hand, usually goes along with 'b' because they know they can't c/c another pot sized bet and can't come up with anything else to do because just c/f any piece is "too weak" (another cliche) in their opinion.

Raise these up all the time until shown that this is not weak. Figure out which reason they're using and exploit it. If it's weakness, raise 100% of the time with any 2 cards. If it's strength, note that they are bad at getting money into the pot and draw super profitably with big implied odds against a stronger range.
  • Another trend I have been noticing in MTT's as of late is player A raises pre, some folds, player D calls, Flop comes out, Player A min bets, player D raises, A calls. Turn- A min bets, D raises, A calls. River, A min bets, D calls, A shows set or better.

Basically A is min betting to promote action..but it looks ridiculous in pots of large size...
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Another trend I have been noticing in MTT's as of late is player A raises pre, some folds, player D calls, Flop comes out, Player A min bets, player D raises, A calls. Turn- A min bets, D raises, A calls. River, A min bets, D calls, A shows set or better.

Basically A is min betting to promote action..but it looks ridiculous in pots of large size...

^^^ I love doing this, especially oop, although my river bet is usually pot sized... And often D is only min raising.... :)