30 Years Ago

A sad day in music history.

Ian Curtis of Joy Division kills himself and the world misses out on what might have been.

ian_curtis2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34oYcQVCBA

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1753b_joy-division-love-will-tear-us-apar_music (much better quality)

ouTube - Joy Division Atmosphere

Comments

• Ordinarily, I would snark the hell out of this, but I am still coming down from my vacation high . . .
  • Wow, post #2 for the first thread crap. Nice.

But then who gives a fuck what a Metal Head would think about music....they have no clue.
  • Yup, no talented writers or musicians in that genre whatsoever . . .

Truthfully, Mole, I do empathize, to an extent. I have had the same feelings when certain touchstones of my past depart this world (see RJD thread). But it's been 30 years and, sorry to say it, not as significant a loss as even Kurt Cobain, just to name another self-indulgent musician who offed himself. I have little sympathy for suicides, sorry

And, truth be told, Metal was/is my favourite genre, not the only one I listened to. The whole late 70's - mid 80's was music heaven for me. Everything from the Pistols and the Clash, through Human League, Yaz, the Specials, etc. found it's way into my collection, right alongside Iron Maiden (Steve Harris is an excellent writer, by the way), Priest,and Motorhead. Hell, I bought DLR solo efforts just for Steve Vai's guitar playing . . .
  • Sorry, I just came to mark an anniversary of a significant loss during my informative years, and what I deem to be a loss to music as a whole.

Thankfully I was able to receive the delightful by-product of your explaination of how Kurt Cobain was more significant than Ian Curtis, and finding out a list of bands that you enjoyed listening to......oh glorious day!

douchebag.jpg

Edit: BTW I never said anything about Metal artists being musically retarded......that was just in reference to you.
  • The honour, is to serve . . .
  • Have been listening to Joy Division all day. Great band that unfortunately came to an end way too soon.