Is UB safe now?

Hello, is the 'new' UB site safe? Apparently the new company Tokwiro Enterprises had no doing in the scandal? I read about Russ Hamilton and eWorld Holdings; have they been convicted?

Was this scandal an inside job or done by hackers? If it was hackers then how can I be sure it won't happen at PokerStars and FullTilt?

All this concern because I let some mainstream morons get inside my head saying that online poker is a scam. I know better, but I need some reassurance.

Comments

• it was an inside job i believe, while in all likelihood UB/AP dont have superusers now, the new owners have done a pretty bad job of making people feel good about playing there, and there general online consensus is avoid them. IMO avoid those sites, pokerstars, fulltilt and other places are safe.
  • An oldie but a goodie:

Fool me once, shame on you . . . fool me twice, shame on me.

I know of a few players still on UB but, honestly, there are so many options out there, why would you bother?
  • Hello, is the 'new' UB site safe? Apparently the new company Tokwiro Enterprises had no doing in the scandal? I read about Russ Hamilton and eWorld Holdings; have they been convicted?

Was this scandal an inside job or done by hackers? If it was hackers then how can I be sure it won't happen at PokerStars and FullTilt?

All this concern because I let some mainstream morons get inside my head saying that online poker is a scam. I know better, but I need some reassurance.

Don't play at UB.
  • Russ Hamilton was/is the center of this scandal at the time. It was his accounts that were found to have certain superuser priviledges that allowed him to rip off hundreds of thousands, even millions, of dollars. He has yet to be formally charged with anyting tmk, and still plays several live tournaments a year.

The governing body investigating the scandal has published a list of usernames involved in the crooked dealings, however only Russ Hamilton is mentioned specifically as a 'person of interest'.

Since his exit from UB/AP, the new owners have done an amazing job to ensure their software is as tamper proof as possible, and also employ an outside agency to verify that everything is running on the up and up. This was actually stipulated by the investigating body to be done for two years, however the new owners have choosen to continue doing this by choice.

I don't play at UB/AP whatsoever. The new owners have done and continue to a lot to ensure their software is safe and free from tampering, however the stain on their brand will never diminish imo. Not to say this sort of thing can't happen again on any other site (actually, it has, just can't remember the name of the site that went tits up last year at the moment), but UB/AP management is doing everything they can to ensure it doesn't happen with their software again.
  • Behind FT and PS they have the 3rd best tourney schedule out there. If just playing cash games, then I agree there are other options, but if you are a tourney player I would play there.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Behind FT and PS they have the 3rd best tourney schedule out there. If just playing cash games, then I agree there are other options, but if you are a tourney player I would play there.

If someone is asking this question then I'm sure they aren't playing enough MTT volume to need a 3rd site.
  • Good point
  • It really makes me wonder why Russ Hamilton hasn't been taken out back after one of these live tournaments? Seriously...I can't even for the life of me, figure out how some of the players that were scammed for serious amounts of money can even talk to Phil or Annie either...still supporting a site that has done so much damage to the online world...
  • Both Phil and Annie have %s of UB. And they work for UB and support UB, not Russ Hamilton or Scott Tom.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Both Phil and Annie have %s of UB. And they work for UB and support UB, not Russ Hamilton or Scott Tom.

They represent a site that scammed a lot of players. They obviously feel the site has done no wrong..Phil doesn't give a shit when pots are wrongly shipped to him...Who is ultimately responsible if not the owners?

As for Hamilton...lol..again, I can't believe the guy still walks and plays freely...
  • 50 years ago Hamilton would have been found in a hole in the desert . . .

I for one would love to play the WSOP ME just for the opportunity to calmly ask Phil, or Annie, or Sebok, about the whole thing.

"So Phil, how do you feel about the whole "ripping off players" thing?

"What's it like taking blood money?"

"Could we have sex for $10.00? I ask, because I already know you're whoring yourself out, I just want to establish the cost?"

I figure, as long as I was polite, I could not get a penalty, and I might even get on TV . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    50 years ago Hamilton would have been found in a hole in the desert . . .

I for one would love to play the WSOP ME just for the opportunity to calmly ask Phil, or Annie, or Sebok, about the whole thing.

"So Phil, how do you feel about the whole "ripping off players" thing?

"What's it like taking blood money?"

"Could we have sex for $10.00? I ask, because I already know you're whoring yourself out, I just want to establish the cost?"

I figure, as long as I was polite, I could not get a penalty, and I might even get on TV . . .

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd keep talking smack to them until they cry.
  • That site is a scam and once my bank roll is gone im gone! I cant believe whats going on there now? I mean people with a 83 are winning with quads. I have been knocked out 10 times in the last day by aces with a better kicker? I mean im no stranger to bad beats but what are the odds that 10 times this will happen in 24 hours at the sit n go's? They have implemented some new software and new tables while getting rid of alot of 1500 chip sit n go's and opting for 300 chips instead. Ive been with them for years because I felt like they were fair but they are not now and ill never go back. STAY AWAY FROM UB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Russ Hamilton was/is the center of this scandal at the time. It was his accounts that were found to have certain superuser priviledges that allowed him to rip off hundreds of thousands, even millions, of dollars. He has yet to be formally charged with anyting tmk, and still plays several live tournaments a year.

The governing body investigating the scandal has published a list of usernames involved in the crooked dealings, however only Russ Hamilton is mentioned specifically as a 'person of interest'.

Since his exit from UB/AP, the new owners have done an amazing job to ensure their software is as tamper proof as possible, and also employ an outside agency to verify that everything is running on the up and up. This was actually stipulated by the investigating body to be done for two years, however the new owners have choosen to continue doing this by choice.

I don't play at UB/AP whatsoever. The new owners have done and continue to a lot to ensure their software is safe and free from tampering, however the stain on their brand will never diminish imo. Not to say this sort of thing can't happen again on any other site (actually, it has, just can't remember the name of the site that went tits up last year at the moment), but UB/AP management is doing everything they can to ensure it doesn't happen with their software again.

Of course they are....
    derrickone wrote: »
  • UR_MASTER wrote: »
    That site is a scam and once my bank roll is gone im gone! I cant believe whats going on there now? I mean people with a 83 are winning with quads. I have been knocked out 10 times in the last day by aces with a better kicker? I mean im no stranger to bad beats but what are the odds that 10 times this will happen in 24 hours at the sit n go's? They have implemented some new software and new tables while getting rid of alot of 1500 chip sit n go's and opting for 300 chips instead. Ive been with them for years because I felt like they were fair but they are not now and ill never go back. STAY AWAY FROM UB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao, quit playing A-rag
    Nice 1st post
  • Ok, everything bad I have said about Daniel Negraneau, I now take back!!!!

From his Tweets (10 hours ago) "Russ Hamilton is at the South Pointe right now and is going to play poker. Just a heads up if you want to have a chit chat with him"
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Of course they are....

Didn't read the whole thread, but if there's merit to this, UB/AP might as well just shut down now.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Didn't read the whole thread, but if there's merit to this, UB/AP might as well just shut down now.

Yeah, it seems there certainly is merit. The thread on 2+2 as well as UB/AB and the KGC admitting the problem seems to be enough for me, as well as many others.

Once again, it baffles me why people continued to play there believing they were good.