Decking materials.

Looking for opinions on preferences/experiences since a number of people on here exist in the same climate as I do.

I think my options are pretty much cedar/pressure treated pine/composite.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• There's a great article in this month's issue of Mike Holmes magazine. He gives great advice on all aspects of deck building, including the materials.
  • Thanks Johnnie. I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere today. In spite of the fact that I despise 'Holmesie' in general, he does provide good information most of the time.
  • Looking for opinions on preferences/experiences since a number of people on here exist in the same climate as I do.

I think my options are pretty much cedar/pressure treated pine/composite.

Any thoughts?

I don't trust people who label things when

"pressure" treated means, Arsenic treated.

People who work with it have over a 300% chance of cancer.

4 years ago they stopped making the arsenic stuff.

... Still...

I'd get the cedar if you don't like toxic waste.

It's much more expensive but I'm not a fan of cancer.
  • Yep, a few years ago I read the crap they treat the wood with. I seem to remember something called Chromium Arsenate or something similarly horrible being amongst the list. Whenever I've worked with guys who are cutting it they're always wearing masks. I'm not a fan of cutting stuff I can barely pronounce.

Cedar, looks beautiful and has natural weather resistance. If you get even the tiniest of slivers, you know it immediately and it stings until you dig it out. But at least it's real wood.

'Composite lasts forever'? Sure, even in a landfill. It molds, fades, scratches like everything else and it's very expensive.

There appear to be pros and cons to all of the above as with everything else in life. Like yourself, personal health is generally higher on my priority list.
  • Thanks Johnnie. I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere today. In spite of the fact that I despise 'Holmesie' in general, he does provide good information most of the time.

wtf, you disgust me! your not my friend anymore, Milo you move up a notch:D
  • philliivey wrote: »
    wtf, you disgust me! your not my friend anymore, Milo you move up a notch:D

Hmm, that didn't take much. I was above Milo on the list to begin with? Aww, shucks. Oh right, you deleted me. gg Milo.

I actually enjoy his show and when I was beginning my career in the trades I watched it all the time and learned lots. It just seems like the guys head is so huge I'm surprised he can fit it through a door. A common opinion amongst a lot of trades is that Holmes gives people the impression that you have to be fearful and untrusting of almost anyone you might hire unless it's him and his crew. That being said, there are a lot of guys doing poor work out there.

I think at one point someone on here said that he lived nearby them and that he's a really nice guy. I just generally don't have much time for guys with the "I'm Superman" attitude.
  • I know a couple trades guys who say that Mike goes over and above BECAUSE he's on TV. That most clients would question the extra cost of a project done Mike's way. Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe, I guess . . .
  • Okay here is my 2 cents about Deck material. I have built quite a few in my area in the last 5 years.
    Pressure treated is not as bad as it used to be. If you want to save some money. And it does last a long time even with minimal upkeep.
    Cedar is nice, about 2 1/2 times the cost of pressure treated and is a lot of work every couple of years unless you want to let it turn that awful blackish grey.
    Composite is also nice until the mold sets in and you find out you have to clean it thoroughly every 2 or 3 months.
    Brandon Lumber in Guelph has some of the best prices on lumber if you want to check them out.
    Mike Holmes has a tendacy to go overboard. You can have 10 contractors build the same house and maybe 2 will be 95% alike.
    This is why I like Jim Caruk (Real Renos) He is easier to approach than Mike and a lot more likeable..:biggrin2:
  • I also heard an anecdote where the hollows in the composite filled with snow/water in the winter which resulted in splitting. The company replaced 100% of the split material, but still a huge pain to remove and replace each one from underneath.
  • kind of related topic; I really hate decks, more because of the maintenance. Doesn't matter what kind of real wood you use, in Ontario, you are going to have to re-stain it every couple of years. For my deck, I typically have to re-stain every two years (flooring).

Last year I said, 'fck it', I'm tired of this re-staining shit. So I had my deck covered with Sportgrid and it was the best investment I ever made. I was initially concerned with water getting trapped under the tiles and damaging the wood, but it hasn't been an issue. It looks brand new so far after one winter and should last 10-15 years. I think it was about $3.00/sqr foot installed but you never have to worry about re-staining the deck floor and it looks great. Here is the link and I would highly recommend it! I will try and track down a picture of my deck.

Not sure what the concern is about cancer and pressure treated wood. Your outside already!! You don't think there is any harm from using propane gas to cook your food on the BBQ... live a little already.

Duragrid Product 1