Book Suggestions

Looking for some suggestions on some good books worth reading these days. Not really big on science fiction, horror or poker. What books have you just finished and can recommend?

Comments

• i found the dexter series was pretty good. haven't finished the last novel yet (about half way through), but if you like sarcasm and murder it's pretty interesting. i actually kind of liked them better than the tv show. dexter acts more like a psychopath in the book (whereas in the tv show, he still has emotions and things like that which don't really make a lot of sense). (btw, these are not "horror" books).

(not really new) but i also enjoyed "the curious incident of the dog in the night time". it's written from a first person perspective of a boy with autism. a short book and not a hard read by any means, but quite entertaining.

everyone seems to like the dan brown books, obviously. i heard the third one is the best, but i haven't read any of them.

i'm assuming that you're asking for novels/narratives. i could suggest some good non-fictions, but from what i've experienced, no one reads those except me.
  • If it's a "finish it quick" situation, Robert B Parker's Jesse Stone books are a good way to kill an afternoon.

If it's something a little bigger, Conrad Black's bio of Nixon is excellent.

Vimy, or the Arctic Grail, both by Pierre Berton, if you want Canadiana.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Looking for some suggestions on some good books worth reading these days. Not really big on science fiction, horror or poker. What books have you just finished and can recommend?

i read lots but all non fiction. some favs are

The prophet-kinda fiction, but a book on how to deal with life gracefully.

Emotional Intelligence-a book on how to control your emotions from a science perspective, Ive seen it recommended by pros from all different types of professions

Blink-written by the author of tipping point. talks about how information overload can cause us to make incorrect decisions, and how to decide when to go off instinct or information.

Tao te ching-best book i ever read maybe.
  • sorry, prefer the fiction and long reads are ok. Started the first Dexter novel, but went on vacation and had to return it. thanks, keep them coming.
  • If you like alternative history, Harry Turtledove has done a series of books following the "what if?" scenario. The longest begins with the South winning the Civil War, and proceeds up to the end of the 1950's. Very interesting read.
  • "Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind....

Good story, and I legit use the first "rule" from the series to help change people's lives.

Mark
  • I'm reading girly books atm. Jane Eyre is the best so far...will read again.
  • My wife loves that kind of crap . . . Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, all those period piece DVD's, and the books too.

Gawd . . . Walleye, put her back in the basement, would ya? :D

Oh, and Jah, if you want a long slog in the fiction dept., pick up a copy of the Bible

(*/ducks/*).
  • Lost Symbol is ok if you like the Dan Brown stuff
  • Milo wrote: »
    My wife loves that kind of crap . . . Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, all those period piece DVD's, and the books too.

I just read Pride and Prejudice a few weeks ago..it is one of the very few movies that I enjoy more than the book.

Emma ftw.
  • "The boy in the stripped pajamas" by John Boyne is a book I think everyone should read. Written from the perspective of a young boy in Germany during the Holocaust.

My favourite series to read was by Jean M Auel, and I have read them several times since high school.

Clan of the Cave Bear
    Valley of the Horses
    Mammoth Hunters
    Plains of Passage
    Shelters of Stone
  • Sharantyr wrote: »
    "The boy in the stripped pajamas" by John Boyne is a book I think everyone should read. Written from the perspective of a young boy in Germany during the Holocaust.

if you're going for holocaust books then "night" by elie weisel is the one to get for sure. based on his true story of surviving the holocaust. pretty intense read, but fairly short.

"Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live."
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I just read Pride and Prejudice a few weeks ago..it is one of the very few movies that I enjoy more than the book.

Emma ftw.

The Barrister Sinister continues the Pride and Prejudice story line. There is a second book as well, that Karen has, but the title escapes me. Different authors of course, but the same settings and characters.

Also, Joseph Heller's "Catch 22" is a good read. If someone hands you anything by Vonnegut, wipe your ass with it. It's all he's good for. as a writer
  • For decent relevant non fiction look at Freakonomics or The World is Flat by Freidman. If youre not semi/full on retarded they are good reads.
  • trigs wrote: »
    if you're going for holocaust books then "night" by elie weisel is the one to get for sure"

For some reason this sentence made me LOL.

Jah at Chapters:

"Im really looking for a good holocaust book, what do you suggest?"
  • I've been reading Paul Auster's novels.

They are fabulous.

My favorite has been Moon Palace.

I'm also reading a Wally Lamb book, This Much I Know Is True.

Other good titles I've read.

Live of Pi

Angels and Daemons

David Copperfield.
  • Any Steinbeck
  • David Copperfield was good!

If you want a bit of a weird suggestion for holocaust novels - "Maus" is a graphic novel (comic book) that was incredibly powerful.

Mark
  • Dammit Mark, stop being so damn eclectic . . . Maus was great . . .
    "The boy in the stripped pajamas" by John Boyne is a book I think everyone should read. Written from the perspective of a young boy in Germany during the Holocaust.

might check that one out. I read The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman and really enjoyed it (great movie btw). Not sure why holocaust books came up?
  • I'd love to be more helpful, but all I read is the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton and the In Death series by J.D. Robb.

And wrestler autobiographies.
  • Cerb . . . you should know better.

"Who knew wrestlers could read, let alone write?"
  • Not that I have much time or willingness to read nowadays, but my go-to author is John le Carré for a relaxed but still engaging read. They`re spy novels without the flair of Bond, but I`d say more true to life characters and situations. Decent character development, educated but not ridiculous verbiage.

I used to read a lot in the summers; I think I`ve read everything by Michael Crichton. As I recall (and this is going on 10 years ago), Congo was f`n terrifying, the only book that`s really ever scared me. Jurassic Park was way better than the movies, and The Andromeda Strain and Sphere were both great as well. A lot of John Grisham, but my favourite was The Partner, none of the others of his really stood out.

My favourite series to read was by Jean M Auel, and I have read them several times since high school.

Clan of the Cave Bear
    Valley of the Horses
    Mammoth Hunters
    Plains of Passage
    Shelters of Stone

I've read the first book in this series. It was fabulous.