Tourney Today!! Saturday the 18th Waterloo

Waterloo Poker Cave --- Urgent!!!

Looking for 4 players, had a late cancellation of a group.

It is a $20 NLHE Tourny, 2 rebuys max. 40 Players (36 right now were short)

Asking for a donation of non-perishable food item or toy for Christmas Hampers.

Please call me 342 3474 Tyson if you want a spot.

Heres the details.

The Cards for Christmas Poker Tournament

Saturday December 18th, 7PM at the Waterloo Poker Cave

In additon to the entrance fee, all players are asked to bring some
non-perishables that will be donated to the foodbank, or a small toy
that will be given for christmas hampers.

This will be a Texas Hold'em Tourney, max 2 re buys in the first hour
minutes with no add on. The Buy in is $20, with re buys $20.
The top 5 spots will be paid, plus Tshirts prizes.

Enrollment is limited to the first 40 entrants. Please RSVP as soon
as possible to avoid dissapointment.

We will play until one player has the chip

Comments

• Another great tourney, Tyson. Thanks very much for hosting it. Thanks also to Graham for his yeoman duty dealing for hours.

I had a great time. Much better than the last one because, hey, I won! :D Seriously, though, the players were great competitors, some aggressive, some tight, some loose, some passive - all in all a great mix to ensure a good tourney. And being Canadians, we were all very polite. Except me and my potty mouth, of course.

I had great success at the final table with my bluffs. I especially enjoyed the one where I took a huge pot from Karima's ;) boyfriend when I showed him my hand afterwards. Maybe that was a bit mean but he had been so aggressive earlier somehow it just felt right. I was a bit surprised in the final hand when my opponent called my all-in with something like a 10-7. I only had something along the lines of J-8 but neither of us improved. I guess he was tired and just wanted to end it. I know how he feels.

Graham, you were at the final table, dealing the whole time. I'd appreciate your feedback if you have any. How good was the play? What were the glaring errors? What were the great plays?

Can't wait for the next one. Gotta get Schoppsy at my table. He somehow managed to duck me the whole tourney. :rolleyes: I'd still recommend one less table so people can move around a bit better and 2 decks of cards on each table. Maybe a slightly earlier start time if that is possible.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I had great success at the final table with my bluffs. I especially enjoyed the one where I took a huge pot from Karima's ;) boyfriend when I showed him my hand afterwards.

Which hand was this? You raised it UTG, I re-raised you out of the BB, and you went all in? That the one you're talking about?
  • I played in this tourney and was eliminated with about 3 tables left, and I had to leave before the final table. I was wondering who the top 5 finishers were?

I also wanted to add it was another well run tourney and lots of fun to play in, looking forward to the next one.
  • SlantNGo wrote:
    Which hand was this? You raised it UTG, I re-raised you out of the BB, and you went all in? That the one you're talking about?
    My memory is shot. Sorry I can't remember. Maybe I should make notes.

I'll tell you what I DO recall. You were an aggressive player, frequently raising pre-flop and not many at the table were willing to challenge you. You got caught a couple of times and that put a big dent in your stack. It seemed to me your confidence was waning and you raised against me so I thought I'd take a shot at you to see how strong your hand was. My recollection is I had total garbage but it was just the 2 of us heads-up so I was willing to gamble. When you folded I showed my cards and from that point on, you seemed to be in a tailspin. That is just my coloured memory.

Was I the one that put you out? I recall a couple of times when I heard someone say "all-in" and when it got to me I'd say "I was waiting to hear those words". And that meant I had a very good hand. I believe I never lost when I said that.

There was also one point where a guy made a big bet and I said "Are you sure you want to do that?" as if I was giving him a chance to take it back. I think I put him out on that hand. When I was heads-up at the end I tried that line again but he wasn't buying it. We had a good laugh though.

I was lucky a few times in the tourney. At the very start one of the others who made it to the final table doubled me up when I went all-in with trip tens against his flush. I made quads at the turn to win that one. After the rebuy period, I called all-in with AK against AQ. At the final table, an aggressive player to my left went all in after the turn with a pair of aces against my 2pr. Also with just a few players left, one of the better young players went all in with a flop of A55 when I had Q5s in the BB. I'm guessing he had an Ace....
  • Hmm, are you confusing me with someone else? I believe I was the only Asian guy at the final table, and I don't remember you showing any cards, hence why I was confused. I finished in 4th... you took away half my stack with a UTG raise, I played back, you said the "I was waiting to hear those words" and pushed all in, I folded. I busted out going all in after Kory with pocket deuces.
  • I think this will help you guys out:
    I (Kory) knocked out Kevin (SlantNGo). I went all in on the button with barely any chips left, Kevin called, Pete also called. Kevin and I were both all in. I rivered the straight, Pete rivered the two pair (I believe). I took it all.
    The hand that pkrface9 (who I assume is Greg?) is talking about with regards to asking someone if they are sure they want to go all in went as follows: blinds 2k-4k, Pete folds on the button, I raise to 8k with A4, Greg calls with Q5, flop comes A55, I go all in, Greg asks if I am sure then calls.

Hope that helps.

See you guys at the next one.

Peace
    Kory
  • The hand that pkrface9 (who I assume is Greg?) is talking about with regards to asking someone if they are sure they want to go all in went as follows: blinds 2k-4k, Pete folds on the button, I raise to 8k with A4, Greg calls with Q5, flop comes A55, I go all in, Greg asks if I am sure then calls.
    LOL. You have a great memory for the hands and names. You got mine right, anyway.

I was having some fun at that point. You guys were all great players. I had so much luck, especially getting someone else to go all-in when I had something big.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

I'm assuming Tyson must be away or something. In the past he was very quick posting the results of his events.
  • Here is are the results for the Decemeber 22nd Cards for Christmas Tourney.

Total prize pool was $1220!!!

And we raised over 100lbs of food for a donation for the St Vincents Christmas hamper program, not to mention some great toys as well.

So with 40 contestants, here are the results;

5> Jeff Fowler
    4> Kevin Xu (SlantNGo)
    3> Kory McAndrew (Ace of Hearts)
    2>Pete Vanstrien
    1>Greg Mortimer (Pkrfce9)

I busted out alot earlier, two pairs (JJ99)vs higher pairs(AA55) so I didnt keep as good of track as I should have...had to redeem myself in the side games... don't try to bluff a big stack + :frown:

Anyways, thanks for making this such a great sucess!

Please email pokercave@gmail.com if you would like to know of any upcoming events at the Waterloo Poker Cave -

Upcoming New Years Eve sit'N'gos as well as the New Years Day Tourney.