Quentin Tarantino being sued for plagiarism

Tarantino hit with lawsuit | Sympatico.ca inMovies.ca
Plaintiff claims he submitted a treatment for a film in 1999 that was ripped off for 2004's Kill Bill.

Quentin Tarantino is getting hit with a plagiarism lawsuit.
E! Online is reporting that the Inglourious Basterds director is being accused, along with former Miramax chairman Harvey Weinstein, of stealing the concept for a deadly assassin character in Kill Bill.
According to E!, in the suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, Dannez Hunter claims he submitted a treatment to Miramax back in 1999 featuring a character named Ren Short who hails from a historical Samurai lineage and watches his mother brutally murdered 'in a cartoon format.'
Tarantino's 2004 movie, Kill Bill, features a female character named O-Ren Ishii, played by Lucy Liu. In an Anime sequence O-Ren witnesses her parents killed on orders from a Japanese mob boss. She eventually becomes a member of the Deadly Vipers assassin squad (her name is Cottonmouth) and takes her revenge by assuming control of the Tokyo Yakuza.
Aside from the copyright claim, E! says Hunter, who describes himself as a minority and former 'inner-city youth,' makes a separate allegation that the Disney subsidiary passed him over for employment and hired less qualified Jews and whites instead.
'[Plaintiff] was never given a return phone call, as numerous similar situated less qualified Jewish and White people were bestowed job after job after job,' Hunter alleges.
Seven years after the release of the first film, E! says Hunter is seeking $1 million in damages.

Yet again, the Jews and White Man keepin the brotha man down.

Comments

• I HATE Quentin Tarrantino..he's so over-rated.
  • He may be over rated but he has made a lot of really good movies.
  • Fight the power Quentin
  • derrickone wrote: »
    He may be over rated but he has made a lot of really good movies.

Hitler might have been a good artist, but senseless gore eliminates any of either his or QT's accomplishments in my realm of perception.

The last movie I tried to watch was Sin City, I will never again watch anything by him, he's a disgusting brute that wastes any and all talent burdening me with images that I don't want.
  • Tarantinos movies rarely ever have any excessive gore. The only one that I can think of that is actually his movie is Kill Bill Vol. 1. He's lent his name to a lot of movies that may seem to have excessive gore, but they're not his movies. Try watching True Romance, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds. No over the top violence or gore, just great movies. IMO.
  • It's funny, a lot of the brutality in his movies happens out of camera shot...it's much worse to imagine something than actually see it sometimes...QT knows this. And how to reference everything from Kirosawa to teletubbies.
  • In Hitlers death scene did they not dump like 1000 rounds into his body until he was a quivering pile of jello?

Now I for one was fist pumping during this scene but it was the very definition of gore.

FWIW the pace, the dialogue, the over the top characterizations make Tarantino movies the most entertaining EVAR!
  • cadillac wrote: »
    In Hitlers death scene did they not dump like 1000 rounds into his body until he was a quivering pile of jello?

Yes, which is why I said they rarely contain excessive gore. Not never. That scene was incredible though.
  • Pure homage to scarface that scene - Tarantino = awesomeness! Tarantino is a movie fan first, producer/director second.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Pure homage to scarface that scene - Tarantino = awesomeness! Tarantino is a movie fan first, producer/director second.

Which was a reference to Sonny getting whacked in the Godfather, no?

Lack of originality is not a skill . . .

I like Tarantino's movies, but I do not consider them "art" the way some do. I find he is very self indulgent, to the point of conceit. As in, "look how many (not so) obscure references I can make . . ."
  • What do you mean lack of originality? Pulp fiction, res dogs ...

What other current film maker would you consider uses original material.

Personally I hate when movies are considered to be art. To me they are entertainment, and I don't care if its a Tarantino piece, or a Michael Bay fx fest, if it entertains me then i'm happy.
  • I'll tell you what doesn't entertain me...QT's overlong pained expression 'cameos'
  • Can't tell me you didn't enjoy his cameo in From Dusk till Dawn
    Can't tell me you didn't enjoy his cameo in From Dusk till Dawn

Wouldn't call that a 'cameo'. ResDogs, yes...Dusk till Dawn, no.
    What do you mean lack of originality? Pulp fiction, res dogs ...

and you just named the only two movies of his I can still watch. I cannot sit through anything else by QT anymore, with the exception of the Salma Hayek dance number in FDTD . . . huminahuminahumina . . .