Matt Cooke Hit; NHL shrugs shoulders

Positively one of the most uncalled for hits I've witnessed.

YouTube - Matt Cooke DESTROYS Marc Savard (HD - Full Incident)

And today, the NHL shrugs its shoulders saying nothing they can do...even as they motion a new rule for next season on the EXACT same thing. Blind side head shots are to be an offense next season, yet Matt Cooke is going to continue playing with NO reprecussions this season.

An absolute head-shaker | Steve Simmons | Columnists | Sports | Toronto Sun

Its not like Cooke is little Ms. Innocent and this was a first time event. This guy makes his career out of intentionally hurting players.

Comments

• I think if he did get suspended it would've been his 3rd suspension in his career. The hit was horrible, Savard saw nothing, Cooke led right into his head. What got my blood boiling after, is his interview after the game he was oblivious to the incident like nothing was wrong. Should give this guy 15+ games.
  • I'm more than a little disappointed in the league for saying there's nothing they can do about it. Yet, just today, they approve the blind side hit rule for next season.

Jesus, grow a pair of balls NHL and practise what you preach! This guy shouldn't be allowed to put on another pair of skates again!
  • Agreed about the NHL, but where is the NHLPA? They are EQUALLY guilty of ignoring this crap. There standard line is that they represent all players, and therefore have a conflict of interest. That is pure BS. No other Union tolerates one worker deliberately injuring another during the regular course of a work day, but the NHLPA says they cannot take a stance.

Just as gutless as the NHL, imo. Just another reason why I don't watch until the playoffs start. Far less nonsense during those games.
  • You can't retroactively punish guys.

If something's not illegal or suspension worthy when it happens, you can't do that.

But yea, he's a goon.

Mark
  • Call it unsportsmanlike conduct then. Or roughing. Obviously not interference, but you can't let something like this go even once.

Definitely be tuned into the game on the 18th. Cooke is going to find out just how solid Chara can hit back.
  • I used to party with Matt Cooke.

A friend of mine played for the Windsor Spits when he was in Junior and he used to come to alot of gatherings.

I have one word: doooooooshbag.

Kind of off topic, but whatever.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

I have one word: doooooooshbag.
    Kind of off topic, but whatever.

Actually, I think that just sums it all up nicely!
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    You can't retroactively punish guys.

Mark

No need to . . . not sure how it's worded in the NHL rulebook, but anything that, in the ref's opinion, is a deliberate attempt to injure, is punishable by a minor, major, or Match Penalty. I do know that Match Penalty is something that is almost NEVER called because it carries an autmatic 3 game suspension, as well as supplementary discipline. All the NHL would have to do is direct the on ice officials to call ANY hit to the head a Match Penalty, and watch this crap disappear.
  • Milo wrote: »
    No need to . . . not sure how it's worded in the NHL rulebook, but anything that, in the ref's opinion, is a deliberate attempt to injure, is punishable by a minor, major, or Match Penalty. I do know that Match Penalty is something that is almost NEVER called because it carries an autmatic 3 game suspension, as well as supplementary discipline. All the NHL would have to do is direct the on ice officials to call ANY hit to the head a Match Penalty, and watch this crap disappear.

Doubt it.

My knee-jerk reaction of punitive measures are ineffective of course, and the fact that guys are STILL getting suspensions and what not even for things they KNOW is not allowed.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Doubt it.

My knee-jerk reaction of punitive measures are ineffective of course, and the fact that guys are STILL getting suspensions and what not even for things they KNOW is not allowed.

Mark

Matt Cooke does not make Ovechkin $$$. Neither do most of the morons that play in this fashion. This is Cooke's 3rd offense. Based on my previous post, this would have cost him more than 10% of his salary. Can you take that kind of hit (sorry)? Combine that with the team losing a roster spot for 10% of their games, and this crap will stop within 1 season as teams unload "dangerous" hitters in favour of similarly skilled players who know how to body check properly.
  • NHL + Fighting = Joke

No fighting in the Olympics. Anybody notice or miss it?
  • Exactly. If you make the cost of cheap shots/fighting too detrimental to the team (as opposed to the player), it will wither on the vine.
  • Did you guys see the Mike Richards hit on Booth from Florida. Just as bad bad and maybe worse and Richards gets no suspension. So why should Cooke get anything?
  • Hockey is a fast game played by big strong men. People get hurt.

One guy throws a check, no elbows, no stick, no hands, all shoulder the other guy with his head down not paying attention gets his bell rung.

Sad to see it happen but it's hockey. Get over it. If anyone here thinks that Matt Cooke thought for one second about attempting to injure here I've got news for you. He didn't have time to think about that. The pace of that play is a little bit faster than your Sunday beer league.

Marc Savard makes over four fucking million dollars a year to play a sport with physical risks. He knows that. A cross check to the face or a hit from behind should draw a major suspension. This is not even worthy of a penalty.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    If anyone here thinks that Matt Cooke thought for one second about attempting to injure here I've got news for you. He didn't have time to think about that.

BullSHIT!! Its not like its his first time either. He's a fucking punk, and shouldn't be in the game!
    Hockey is a fast game played by big strong men. People get hurt.

One guy throws a check, no elbows, no stick, no hands, all shoulder the other guy with his head down not paying attention gets his bell rung.

Sad to see it happen but it's hockey. Get over it. If anyone here thinks that Matt Cooke thought for one second about attempting to injure here I've got news for you. He didn't have time to think about that. The pace of that play is a little bit faster than your Sunday beer league.

Marc Savard makes over four fucking million dollars a year to play a sport with physical risks. He knows that. A cross check to the face or a hit from behind should draw a major suspension. This is not even worthy of a penalty.

Yup, there ARE risks . . . but THAT hit is OUTSIDE the normal risks associated with the game of hockey. If you actually watch the play, you can see that he deliberately leans the shoulder in to ensure contact with Savard's helmet/head. That is an indicator of intent, as is the fact that he went for the head-shot rather than the full body-check.

I have no idea what Savard's income level has to do with anything, so I'll leave that aside.

We are starting to discover the serious long-term effects of head impacts/trauma to the health of professional athletes after they leave the playing field. Again: Marc Savard knows the risks of playing in the NHL. He should also be afforded the protection due to players for incidents that are beyond the rules of the game.

Really, Caddie, if you returned just to post nonsense like this, you should have stayed away . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Yup, there ARE risks . . . but THAT hit is OUTSIDE the normal risks associated with the game of hockey. If you actually watch the play, you can see that he deliberately leans the shoulder in to ensure contact with Savard's helmet/head. That is an indicator of intent, as is the fact that he went for the head-shot rather than the full body-check.

I have no idea what Savard's income level has to do with anything, so I'll leave that aside.

We are starting to discover the serious long-term effects of head impacts/trauma to the health of professional athletes after they leave the playing field. Again: Marc Savard knows the risks of playing in the NHL. He should also be afforded the protection due to players for incidents that are beyond the rules of the game.

Really, Caddie, if you returned just to post nonsense like this, you should have stayed away . . .

2 NHL players moving at even 3/4 speed pegs them at about 35 MPH X 2. If a hit aimed at his shoulder misses by 6 inches it hits him the head. Lets be realistic about the margin for error. Cooke picked his line from about 15 feet away and never moved off of it. His intent was to throw a hit the entire time I don't disagree with that.

If you are going to demand that his plan the whole time was to deliver a head shot with an intent to injure I won't debate it with you. You keep your uninformed opinion that has been spoon fed to you by the media and I'll keep mine. =D

I bring up the huge money these guys make because it is relevant to the discussion. These guys make 100 times more $$$ a year than the average person. The aggression is what makes hockey so fun to watch and it is also what makes for the big swings in momentum. As a fan who contributes to their salary I don't want to be watching some watered down product where the guys are afraid to lay out a body check.

For you to call my point of view "nonsense" just because it is different from yours is ridiculous. The NHL stance shares part of my point that the hit was clean by the current rules and that their was nothing illegal about it.
    2 NHL players moving at even 3/4 speed pegs them at about 35 MPH X 2. If a hit aimed at his shoulder misses by 6 inches it hits him the head. Lets be realistic about the margin for error.

No disagreement with this . . .

Cooke picked his line from about 15 feet away and never moved off of it. His intent was to throw a hit the entire time I don't disagree with that.

Watch the clip again. He clearly lunges/leans into the hit as he realizes his "track" is not quite lined up right . . .

If you are going to demand that his plan the whole time was to deliver a head shot with an intent to injure I won't debate it with you. You keep your uninformed opinion that has been spoon fed to you by the media and I'll keep mine. =D

Fair enough, but I deny being spoon-fed anything since the age of about 3. So, we are equally uninformed then . . .

I bring up the huge money these guys make because it is relevant to the discussion. These guys make 100 times more $$$ a year than the average person.

So they make more $$$, this means they should be fair game for traumatic injury? Ridiculous premise, imo . . .

The aggression is what makes hockey so fun to watch and it is also what makes for the big swings in momentum. As a fan who contributes to their salary I don't want to be watching some watered down product where the guys are afraid to lay out a body check.

Yeah, like that boring Olympic tournament, right? Oh, wait . . .

For you to call my point of view "nonsense" just because it is different from yours is ridiculous. The NHL stance shares part of my point that the hit was clean by the current rules and that their was nothing illegal about it.

No, the NHL said they could not punish Cooke because they failed to do so against another player earlier in the season for a similar incident. That is quite different than your point of view. Your point is ridiculous on it's merit (or rather the lack of it). That you disagree with me is just a bonus. Keep trying, Caddie . . .
  • Here is the thing Milo. Maybe you were a track star or in the band in high school. But, if you ever played any contact sports you would realize something. When you are about to collide with someone moving faster than you can run and the two of you have a combined mass of around 400lb ...you better weight your front foot and prepare yourself. Move your weight forward. If not you have a good chance of getting yourself injured.

I simply don't have much passion for an NHL where players are flinging themselves out of control every time they might contact someones head.

If Cooke gets his hands up or bounces an elbow off the side of Savards head I think you should throw the book at the guy. Same thing with hits from behind, suspend them and fine the hell out of them. It is just that this particular hit is not the one to get your panties in a knot over. Not illegal, no penalty even called, hell, on the ice at the time none of the Bruins even went after the guy for it. That should tell you the story right there.

As far as my premise that is exactly it. On TV we watch guys go to work catching king crab with a 10% chance of being drown or maimed within 5 years in the business, all to make $100 Grand a year. NHL players make millions, I repeat MILLIONS of dollars. Tickets have gotten to the price that my family with the income of 2 professionals can really only afford to go to a game a couple of times a year. So I have no problem voicing the opinion that I do not want the product watered down because there is a <1% chance that someone might get knocked the fuck out and have a few lingering side effects. Especially when it has already been proven that most players in the league will choose vanity over safety when picking which helmet to wear.

Here is what I said...
    cadillac wrote: »
    The NHL stance shares part of my point that the hit was clean by the current rules and that their was nothing illegal about it.

Your nonsense retort...
    Milo wrote: »
    No, the NHL said they could not punish Cooke because they failed to do so against another player earlier in the season for a similar incident. That is quite different than your point of view. Your point is ridiculous on it's merit (or rather the lack of it). That you disagree with me is just a bonus. Keep trying, Caddie . . .

The Facts...
    There's no existing rule in place to make it a penalty. The hit on Savard wasn't along the lines of anything that caused his previous suspensions.

I am not going to banter back and forth with you on this topic because you just don't get it. Besides I know what really matters to you anyway:

Looks like I should have put $$$ down on the spread . . . I enjoy being right.

I CALLED IT.

Sidney Crosby wins GOLD for Canada.

I knew he would snap out of the funk.
    Here is the thing Milo. Maybe you were a track star or in the band in high school. But, if you ever played any contact sports you would realize something.

If you knew me, you would realize how hilarious this really is . . . too bad you missed my question week.
  • Since I am convinced that most people here are crazy I have to ask about this...

Game misconduct and a 2 game suspension to the NHL points leader.

Too much? Not enough?

YouTube - Alexander Ovechkin injures Brian Campbell
  • First offense? 5 games . . .

Second offense? 10 games . . .

Third? 20 games

Fourth? 40 games

Fifth? Find another career, you're too stupid for the NHL.

Ovechkin can be just as dirty as Cooke. I would treat him the same way. The thing that really gets me steamed is the inconsistency the NHL displays re: discipline. They should just publish the format as follows:

If a player commits foul "X", the suspension is "Y".
    If a player commits foul "A", the suspnesion is "B".

The escalating scales is as follows "X" for a first offense, "X" x2 for a second offense, etc.
  • Fighting isn't what is causing these types of injuries. The lack of fighting is.

The problem is the instigator rule and the fact that the players are no longer able to police themselves on the ice for fear of penalizing their team. Add to this the hard plastic elbow and shoulder pads that quite frankly are too protective of the players delivering the hits.

Everyone likes to cite the Olympics as an example where hits like this don't occur. But, there was a headshot and concussion exactly like this on a Slovakian player. So, it happens in Olympics too.