Silly question - How to carry around large sums of cash?

So I'm heading to Vegas in a few weeks and I'm wondering how you guys carry around large sums of cash? I mean, last time I was there, I felt quite uneasy either carrying all the cash or leaving some of it back at the hotel.

Is there any safer way or smarter way to have money handy?

Comments

• rubber band
  • Inquirer wrote: »
    So I'm heading to Vegas in a few weeks and I'm wondering how you guys carry around large sums of cash? I mean, last time I was there, I felt quite uneasy either carrying all the cash or leaving some of it back at the hotel.

Is there any safer way or smarter way to have money handy?

wire it to the cage of the hotel your staying at is the easiest. or get a cashiers cheque made out to the place your staying at. carrying just plain cash isnt a big deal, as long as you arent dumb.

if you are bringing over 10k to the states, not only do you need to declare it to the american border guard, you have to declare it to customs canada or they might not allow you to board your plain. go early for your flgith so you can talk to the customs office before you check in to your flight.
  • When I travel I use a money belt underneath my cloths for 'deep stortage' and I carry > $200 in my wallet, which stays in my front pocket at all times. The belt is really thin and made of satin so you can hardly feel it.

Most travel stores carry them.
  • I just wear a satchel. :arghh:
  • Rectual insertion works. Always handy, after a trip to the closes Men's room
    :eek2:
  • Use chips.
  • Money clip. Just remember to put the big bills on the outside, like a 10. To impress the ladies.

Or tape it to the inside of your leg next to a kilo of blow.
  • Google "Sirwatts blog" and read his Jan 21 and 25 entries for his stories traveling with cash.
  • Quimby wrote: »
    Google "Sirwatts blog" and read his Jan 21 and 25 entries for his stories traveling with cash.

Just gonna suggest that.

Watts' Poker Blog: Toronto to Melbourne: Part 1

Watts' Poker Blog: Part 2: United Strikes Back
  • lol, buy a direct flight you cheap ass sir watts, you and choron are soooooo cheap:p:p:p:p:p

/derail
  • philliivey wrote: »
    lol, buy a direct flight you cheap ass sir watts, you and choron are soooooo cheap:p:p:p:p:p

/derail

lolz @ direct flight from Toronto to Austrailia.
  • Never had a real problem. Just check off the > $10,000 box and fill out the paper in US Customs secondary inspection area. The guys are usually really good back there. 1 out 4 times they will open my bags and glance through it. Only 2 times out of over 20 have they asked to see the "brick-o-cash".

Coming back into canada is even better ..... these guys call all there buddies over and almost start cheering that someone has come back with lots of money. Again you fill out a form and you are on your way.

DO NOT ever try and smuggle the money in or out ..... If you get caught they can keep you away from your money for a very long time.
  • Cool, thanks for all the replies. Funny how all of you had a different suggestion. I think I will look into the wiring and cashier's cheque route.
  • My understanding is that Vegas does have a problem on the strip with pick pockets. I'm sure as with any larger city this is a common thing. Couple this with the fact it's the gambling capital of the planet and it seems obvious this would be an issue.

Last time we were there we were going up an escalator on the strip and some guy really pushed a friend of mine out of the way almost knocking her down the whole thing. As he did so he basically tried to get into her coat pocket to grab whatever he could. She yelled at him, he took off without getting anything.

Someone told me (this could be completely false so not sure) that there's lots of plain clothes cops roaming the strip specifically looking for this kind of thing as they don't want the strip to build a reputation as an unsafe environment.