Ola Dubh

For those who care, there are still a couple bottles "Black Oil" on the shelf at the LCBO near the Bramalea City Centre, as of last night. I bought three, having heard the reviews pre-Christmas.

This is not a beer for Corona lovers. It is syrupy and thick. The Highland Park barrels impart a peaty, almost sweet taste to the brew. It is definitely not a beer you drink quickly. I would almost call it a sipping beer, and at 8-10% strength, that is fine. First bottle was smooth as silk. Just waiting for two more occasions of note to open the other bottles. Overall, not a beer to buy on a regular basis ($18.40 a bottle), but as a special treat . . . well worth the cost.

Comments

• Milo wrote: »
    For those who care, there are still a couple bottles "Black Oil" on the shelf at the LCBO near the Bramalea City Centre, as of last night. I bought three, having heard the reviews pre-Christmas.

This is not a beer for Corona lovers. It is syrupy and thick. The Highland Park barrels impart a peaty, almost sweet taste to the brew. It is definitely not a beer you drink quickly. I would almost call it a sipping beer, and at 8-10% strength, that is fine. First bottle was smooth as silk. Just waiting for two more occasions of note to open the other bottles. Overall, not a beer to buy on a regular basis ($18.40 a bottle), but as a special treat . . . well worth the cost.

WOW. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully there will be some left when I swing by that way tomorrow......probably not though with my luck.

Good score sir. Great beer.
  • There are 90 or so left at Summerhill store downtown (address is on Scrivener)

Great place to look for scotch as well if you are into that. very wide selection.
  • im looking for all of the JW labels if anyone can direct me online?

I had some blue over the holidays and it blew my mind, wouldnt mind adding a couple other JW's to my collection, if anyone can direct me in the right place.

thanks guys.
  • Far as I know you should be able to pick up all three (Red, Black, and Blue) at any LCBO.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Far as I know you should be able to pick up all three (Red, Black, and Blue) at any LCBO.

if you are in ontario just go to LCBO.ca and do a product search. It will tell you where to find them all.

I know a guy named Fed that had some blue over the holidays and posted about it while supposedly smashed......