Trip Report: Fortune Bay, Lake Vermillion MN

So Walleye talked me in to driving the 45 mins to check out the $45 MTT, figured it is close enough to the border to write a trip report.

The room itself is enclosed and smoke free, the tournament and room are extremely well run and have an excellent floor person. There are no automatically shufflers, but the dealers were competent and quick.

The tournament field was very soft, and I say this coming from the tourist-infested waters of Niagara... It felt like home game, most of the players knew each other well and were there to socialize primarily. The patrons were the epitome of opponents, loose-passive with a smile, a handshake and a promise of a beer and a tall hunting or fishing tail later.

The tournament itself had a lot of play with an odd structure where, as best I can remember, the first four levels (25/50-200/400) were 30 mins, the next four (300/600-600/1200) 20 mins and the rest until 3000/6000 cap were 15 mins. It played like a reasonable/slow moving home game.

I'm told they duplicate this structure for their bigger games, and will bump this thread when I play them with updates.

The specifics

These players were astonishingly easy to read, if you've read and understood Caro's ancient book you will know what 90% of the players are up to at all times in this game. There were very few surprises, if they had a premium they raised outrageously, if they disliked them they called to see a flop.

My favourite hand of the night was immediately after losing a monster flip...

Left with only 2200chips in the 800/1600, I post the SB..1 limper, crazy old guy who called all in previously with a-4o looks at one card and shoves his 2500. Another loose guy in lp mumbles something about being "outkicked" and calls, BB has the call in his hand as does the limper..I look down ..out of curiosity, as I call and see k4o, sick life!

Obv I turn trip 4's and the original shover (Who had a-6ss) LOSES his damn mind, and it catches on..they're all shocked and appalled that I'd play k-4o TO A RAISE..GOD DAMN BINGO PLAYERS! ;)

I came back and won it.

Comments

• Very nice.

But you really should fold K4o there cause you have like 1-1/4 blinds. ;)

Did ya yell BINGO?
  • I definitely fist-pumped..I forgot the part of the story where they told me it was "a bit" cold outside when it was -24c before wind chill.
  • Good report, and nice win, but (and I realize I must have missed a thread here and there) what the hell were you doing inLake Vermillion MN?
  • Walleye fishing :)
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I definitely fist-pumped..I forgot the part of the story where they told me it was "a bit" cold outside when it was -24c before wind chill.

Don't worry Kristy, at -40 degrees, Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same - so it won't feel so cold then. Nice trip report, but it sounds like a bit of a brag. You had lots of chips left at the turning point. Talk to me when you come back and win a tournament after losing all but ONE of your chips. ;)
  • Nice story, and congratulations.
  • marcogd wrote: »
    what the hell were you doing inlake vermillion mn?
    hobbes wrote: »
    walleye fishing :)

barg: I caught a 200 pounder..
    gta poker wrote: »
    mn ftw
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I definitely fist-pumped..I forgot the part of the story where they told me it was "a bit" cold outside when it was -24c before wind chill.

I was going to mention that that was in Fahrenheit, but Wal't pal beat me to it. Nice report.