Bristol St. presents -- "Merry Xmas Maddness"!

2»

Comments

• magithighs wrote:
    On the second hand I stole your blind, it was with KK. I was really hoping you would push in with a pair or something like AK or KQs.
    I do recall you saying you'd post the hand the next day. Would this have been a good case for you making a flat call or minimum reraise to keep me in? I'm thinking you wanted at least 1 caller here. I believe there were still a couple of opponents left at this point.

On the other hand, I can see the argument for not changing your style. That, in itself, would be a tell. Although, towards the end, you did flat call a few times. Often against Amanda. I think you were soft-playing against her. Just kidding. Nothing soft at that point... :tongue: And of course, you did flat call me when you had AA. D'ooooooooooooooooh! Or do you look at what has worked during the match against certain people and maybe vary your approach to see what results you can get? I'm very curious.
    I'm betting that you had nothing less than KQs (based on slansky hand rankings) or pocket pairs <99. I'll buy you a beer if you did -- and I'll take your word for it. You really need to drink more!
    You would owe me a FEW beers but you're not off by much. I likely only went in with complete trash once (twice at most). Once I took it pre-flop and once I got re-raised and threw it away. Many of my all-in starting hands were good but not type 1 or 2. I think when you are at the deperation stage, Ax, Kx suited, 2 face cards or any pair is good to push all-in. Sadly, I can only recall having 4 pocket pairs all night - 55 early on (won on the flop), 88 folded at the final table pre-flop to your big raise and someone calling in front of me (would have a set on the flop but got sucked out to your straight when you SUCKED), KK at the final table to win a huge pot for me, 22 on the last hand to lose to your AA.

For me, beer and driving don't mix well. Beer and risking money, not so good either. There was also a chance I might drink you pretty and slip on that sexy garter belt. Let's not even talk about starting to get ideas about checking to see who is cold at the table!

Definitely, I was not aggressive enough stealing the blinds or restealing to protect mine. I would like some pointers from people on how/when to be more aggressive.

I played a bit loose during the rebuy period trying to build a stack. I got hit a couple of times so that didn't work well. After the rebuy, I played tight, waiting for something decent usually before wading in. Amanda was at my table and she had a lot of success with aggressive play during this phase and I didn't want to take her on. I won a few pots and maybe went from 3k in chips up to as much as 4 or 5k at the start of the final table. The standard raise at this point was around 1k so I didn't have a lot of room to get caught with garbage.

I think my mistake was playing too tight in the intermediate stage so I didn't have enough chips for a serious run at the final table. Any thoughts on this? I believe I was not willing to risk getting busted out so close to the final table. I think I needed to adjust my thinking to define success not as making it to the final table but winning it all. And that likely means I need to think further ahead than 1 stage at a time. So I should be more aggressive in the middle stages to build up a stack. It is better at this point to risk going broke to ensure a reaonable chance of winning it all if I get to the final table. Does that make sense?

Anyway, hats off to you, Magi for the win. Your big stack and aggressive style at the final table were very intimidating to me and I'm sure others, too. Thanks for sharing your insights. I believe you have a lot of insights that can be helpful to players like me.
  • Well, Happy New Year Everyone. For those of you who don't know me by my more often used nickname, this is Amanda. After reading a few of the post-tournament posts, I felt I needed to post a little something.

I'm willing to make a fairly large bet that all that gin might have kicked in at some point and my gameplay might have been a little bit thrown off...oops. :cool: :cool:

As far as distractions go, I'm very sad to say none of the fine gentlemen in the room made any attempt to distract mysef or the other ladies. What ever happened to using everything at your disposal? :wink:

All in all I had a really great time. I hadn't payed a tournament in awhile, so it was good to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully I'll see at least a few of you guys at Rob's next tourney. As a Bristol St. regular I enjoy seeing new faces coming out because it forces me to improve me play.

Congrats on your win Lou!
  • Oh ya, I forgot about the 'Easy' part.
    As far as distractions go, I'm very sad to say none of the fine gentlemen in the room made any attempt to distract mysef or the other ladies.
    Watch out cause next time, I'm bringing my marble bag! That should chase more than a few people off the table.

I thought you played very well up to the last table. After that you weren't nearly as aggressive. You might be right about the gin.

I had a lot of fun and I look forward to the next one.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I do recall you saying you'd post the hand the next day. Would this have been a good case for you making a flat call or minimum reraise to keep me in? I'm thinking you wanted at least 1 caller here. I believe there were still a couple of opponents left at this point.

On the other hand, I can see the argument for not changing your style.

Exactly. Once I decide on a course of action, I'm very consistent. With the chips I had, I needed to be the bully. The important part of being a bully is that I want to get in a fight and I'm setting up my big hands for the fight. There's no way I'm limping KK. Well, why did I smooth call you with aces. See below.
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    That, in itself, would be a tell. Although, towards the end, you did flat call a few times. Often against Amanda. I think you were soft-playing against her.

I really don't recall smooth calling any bet after we were down to six players. But it could have been the beer.

pkrfce9 wrote:
    And of course, you did flat call me when you had AA. D'ooooooooooooooooh! Or do you look at what has worked during the match against certain people and maybe vary your approach to see what results you can get? I'm very curious.

One of my strengths is to make huge gear-shifts at a moment's notice. As soon as we're heads up, I was on a totally different game. My goal at that point is not to double you up. You were short-stacked and all I had to do was give you some rope. Totally different game plan than when we were with three players. Just happend that I only needed one had to give you the rope.
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    You would owe me a FEW beers but you're not off by much. I likely only went in with complete trash once (twice at most). Once I took it pre-flop and once I got re-raised and threw it away. Many of my all-in starting hands were good but not type 1 or 2. I think when you are at the deperation stage, Ax, Kx suited, 2 face cards or any pair is good to push all-in. Sadly, I can only recall having 4 pocket pairs all night - 55 early on (won on the flop), 88 folded at the final table pre-flop to your big raise and someone calling in front of me (would have a set on the flop but got sucked out to your straight when you SUCKED), KK at the final table to win a huge pot for me, 22 on the last hand to lose to your AA.

I remember only about four all-ins (could be the beer). How could you fold to a raise when you're all in. I can't buy you a beer unless your story's straight. LOL. I'm sticking to my assessment!
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    For me, beer and driving don't mix well. Beer and risking money, not so good either.

Agreed on the driving. But on the risking money, it's only money! And, drinking and playing is fun.

pkrfce9 wrote:
    Definitely, I was not aggressive enough stealing the blinds or restealing to protect mine. I would like some pointers from people on how/when to be more aggressive.

Personally, I think the only mistake was lamenting about not getting cards good enough to steal with and showing the junk you folded. That's what tipped me off that you were not going to steal with sub-standard hands. You played well -- don't change the play.
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    I think my mistake was playing too tight in the intermediate stage so I didn't have enough chips for a serious run at the final table. Any thoughts on this? I believe I was not willing to risk getting busted out so close to the final table. I think I needed to adjust my thinking to define success not as making it to the final table but winning it all. And that likely means I need to think further ahead than 1 stage at a time. So I should be more aggressive in the middle stages to build up a stack. It is better at this point to risk going broke to ensure a reaonable chance of winning it all if I get to the final table. Does that make sense?

No. You had a chance at winning it all and played well. I didn't see any huge errors, other than the one I mentioned.
  • Easy wrote:
    Well, Happy New Year Everyone. For those of you who don't know me by my more often used nickname, this is Amanda. After reading a few of the post-tournament posts, I felt I needed to post a little something.

I'm willing to make a fairly large bet that all that gin might have kicked in at some point and my gameplay might have been a little bit thrown off...oops. :cool: :cool:

As far as distractions go, I'm very sad to say none of the fine gentlemen in the room made any attempt to distract mysef or the other ladies. What ever happened to using everything at your disposal? :wink:

All in all I had a really great time. I hadn't payed a tournament in awhile, so it was good to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully I'll see at least a few of you guys at Rob's next tourney. As a Bristol St. regular I enjoy seeing new faces coming out because it forces me to improve me play.

Congrats on your win Lou!

Thanks! I thought you played very well Easy! I had a look around the final table and I must say (ok mostly me) there was not a whole lot we could distract you with. :wink:

I think you have the makings of a great poker player. Note my advice during the game was genuine. Also, please never ever show any of your cards. As in life, it's best never to show and leave much to the imagination.

Couple of other things. You can make the other players do whatever you want -- just decide what you want (this is true in life as well). And, if you are always getting called -- why not bet your hands!

Cheers
    Magi
  • hey guys im new to this forum and am trying to score a few games here and there as my regular game has gone down the tube as of late ive been playing a few years and i see that Bristol St. has a bit of a following so id like to know if theres ever space and where and all the details .. sounds like good times.
    please email me at giolopez@hotmail.com at your earliest convenience .. thanks
  • magithighs wrote:
    How could you fold to a raise when you're all in.
    I was dealt 88 in LP. There was an early raise and a call in front of me that would have basically put me all-in to call. I didn't like my odds and folded reluctantly. The flop came with an 8 - d'ooooooooooooh! but you sucked out as only you can and hit the straight on the river anyway.

Great insights. They will help me. Thanks!