SNG hand for your comments.

Ok, so when the New Year came in one of my goals was to start engaging the strategy section more as a participant than a lurker. I tried to find a thread that described 'etiquette' in terms of what to include, what not to include, etc. but couldn't.

I guess I've seen a good number, but I've also seen a good number get ripped apart for "This belongs in BBV!", "This is a thinly veiled brag!", etc.

Maybe someone could make a comprehensive sticky or something that suggested best practices in this regard? Wetts? Others? A collaborative effort?

I remember a while back Wetts told Sharan not to post the results as it would negatively influence/impact discussion. Thus, I will withhold until asked.

Anyhoo, I'm just going to throw this hand out there and see how you guys tear it apart...or don't. Or at least tell me what more info you need for analysis.

Usually I consider my bet sizing to suck, and I'm trying to improve. This may not be the best hand to display this. Blah, blah, blah fuck it. Here's the hand:

PokerStars Game #40185154084: Tournament #245970313, $6.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2010/02/22 22:23:30 ET
Table '245970313 1' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: louiebb (1175 in chips)
Seat 2: patate1221 (1400 in chips)
Seat 3: AymarTexas (1860 in chips)
Seat 4: wildbill7145 (2920 in chips)
Seat 6: funbox (1645 in chips)
patate1221: posts small blind 15
AymarTexas: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to wildbill7145 [Kd As]
wildbill7145: raises 60 to 90
funbox: folds
louiebb: calls 90
patate1221: calls 75
AymarTexas: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ad 2c 4c]
patate1221: checks
wildbill7145: bets 120
louiebb: calls 120
patate1221: calls 120
*** TURN *** [Ad 2c 4c] [3d]
wildbill7145: bets 240
louiebb: folds
patate1221: raises 510 to 750
wildbill7145: raises 510 to 1260
patate1221: calls 440 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (70) returned to wildbill7145
*** RIVER *** [Ad 2c 4c 3d] [Qd]

Never used a hand converter before so maybe next time I'll give it a try. I really don't see what more information that gives you though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thoughts..

Comments

• Ok, so when the New Year came in one of my goals was to start engaging the strategy section more as a participant than a lurker. I tried to find a thread that described 'etiquette' in terms of what to include, what not to include, etc. but couldn't.

I guess I've seen a good number, but I've also seen a good number get ripped apart for "This belongs in BBV!", "This is a thinly veiled brag!", etc.

Maybe someone could make a comprehensive sticky or something that suggested best practices in this regard? Wetts? Others? A collaborative effort?

I remember a while back Wetts told Sharan not to post the results as it would negatively influence/impact discussion. Thus, I will withhold until asked.

Anyhoo, I'm just going to throw this hand out there and see how you guys tear it apart...or don't. Or at least tell me what more info you need for analysis.

Usually I consider my bet sizing to suck, and I'm trying to improve. This may not be the best hand to display this. Blah, blah, blah fuck it. Here's the hand:

PokerStars Game #40185154084: Tournament #245970313, $6.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2010/02/22 22:23:30 ET
    Table '245970313 1' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: louiebb (1175 in chips)
    Seat 2: patate1221 (1400 in chips)
    Seat 3: AymarTexas (1860 in chips)
    Seat 4: wildbill7145 (2920 in chips)
    Seat 6: funbox (1645 in chips)
    patate1221: posts small blind 15
    AymarTexas: posts big blind 30
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to wildbill7145 [Kd As]
    wildbill7145: raises 60 to 90
    funbox: folds
    louiebb: calls 90
    patate1221: calls 75
    AymarTexas: folds
    *** FLOP *** [Ad 2c 4c]
    wildbill7145: bets 120
    louiebb: calls 120
    patate1221: calls 120
    *** TURN *** [Ad 2c 4c] [3d]
    wildbill7145: bets 240
    louiebb: folds
    patate1221: raises 510 to 750
    wildbill7145: raises 510 to 1260
    patate1221: calls 440 and is all-in
    Uncalled bet (70) returned to wildbill7145
    *** RIVER *** [Ad 2c 4c 3d] [Qd]

Never used a hand converter before so maybe next time I'll give it a try. I really don't see what more information that gives you though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thoughts..

fold turn
  • you represented a big ace the whole time and on the turn got re raised all in. either hes an idiot or has you beat. you need to find a reason to suggest one or the other. how did he get so short stacked...is he playing to many pots etc. id fold unless i know hes terrible. hell easily show two pair or pocket fives, or even a set.
  • you got the same disease I do, its called the " OMFG I GOT TPTK IM NOT FOLDING TO U STUPID NOOB!!1!"....It's cost me a few sng's even when I know im behind.

this is a hard spot in a low stakes sng. Its easy to say fold/shove turn but you gotta break it down. What hands do you beat that will raise you like this? AQ, AJ, maybe AT, and if hes a big donk/opposite bettor then POSSIBLY a FD, but i'd put that in a 10% range as an FD would rather keep the pot small.
    I really don't see him raising much else on this scary board. Even these hands are pretty donk to raise with in this spot.

The hands you lose to are A2,A3,A4,A5, 45s, 56s, 57s, 34s, 22,33,44,55 and all of these hands are reasonable holdings given his actions. Players REALLY like to slow play in low limits, I have no idea why most of the time it makes no difference, and they just lose value in the long run.

Given this on the turn its an easy fold.
  • Well, nicely done all. I played this hand pretty stupidly, and should have folded on the turn.

Syphilaids, when you said I got the same disease you do I immediately thought "with a name like that no fucking way I do!", but you're correct. Stupidly, I wasn't wanting to let it go. Darbday I was thinking he was terrible and I had a decent chip lead.

Anyhoo, here ya go:
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    patate1221: shows [5s 5d] (a straight, Ace to Five)
    wildbill7145: shows [Kd As] (a pair of Aces)
    patate1221 collected 3040 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 3040 | Rake 0
    Board [Ad 2c 4c 3d Qd]
    Seat 1: louiebb (button) folded on the Turn
    Seat 2: patate1221 (small blind) showed [5s 5d] and won (3040) with a straight, Ace to Five
    Seat 3: AymarTexas (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 4: wildbill7145 showed [Kd As] and lost with a pair of Aces
    Seat 6: funbox folded before Flop (didn't bet)
  • I hate your bet on the flop, it was just begging to get floated by flush and/or straight draws. Bet ~250-275 and jam the turn as by that point each callers stack is pot size. If you get looked up on the turn jam, oh well. We still have about 1500 chips and can run from there.

I also think I would raise more pre. I know I generally don't like varying my raise based on hand strength, but I think because it is 6 handed and we are chip leader we need to put more pressure on the other runners.

As played, I dunno. I could flat the turn and re-evaluate the river. But villain only has less then a PSB at that point and we will have to call his shove if it blanks. More likely it is a fold, as we have only put 450 into the pot and we can find a better spot to take this guy out and if they are going to be calling us with likely dominated hands.

If I have AKc I probably jam the flop.
  • keep in mind, by rights he should have you on exactly ak, or something at least close to it. you need a 'solid' reason to suggest a guy can't see that you have ak, not just he is terrible. and lastly watch for the times, where the opponent plays passive and then all of a sudden puts a bet in out of context, many times when the other guy is all in after a deuce hits the turn or a river, i can put him on pocket deuces kind of thing. in this situation that reasoning fits perfect. i would likely think pocket 5's or 3's but it doesn't matter, you can only beat A6-AQ, and you'd wondering why the sudden re raise.
  • bigger bet on the flop (pot) and fold on the turn with this board (after the re-raise). AK is overrated IMO (although you got the flop you wanted).
  • aha you got syphilaids.

Hammerdad I really dont mind his bet sizing as long as its > 1/2 pot. FD will float whether you bet 2 chips or pot, cause if he hits he knows he can stack you. The best reason for betting more is to charge the draws on beating you, to increase your equity in the long run (as long as you can still fold the turn / river).

Here it doesnt matter how much you bet just as long as you bet. He's got a 6 outter and a 25% pot equity. As long as you bet more the 1/4 the pot you'll come out ahead (but fold the turn)
  • syphilaids wrote: »

Hammerdad I really dont mind his bet sizing as long as its > 1/2 pot. FD will float whether you bet 2 chips or pot, cause if he hits he knows he can stack you. The best reason for betting more is to charge the draws on beating you, to increase your equity in the long run (as long as you can still fold the turn / river).

Here it doesnt matter how much you bet just as long as you bet. He's got a 6 outter and a 25% pot equity. As long as you bet more the 1/4 the pot you'll come out ahead (but fold the turn)

But unfortunately for him, he didn't bet >1/2 pot. He bet ~40% pot. While still not giving villain the right odds to call, the blind levels were still low and villain probably believed (like I would most times) that the price was cheap enough, even though the odds weren't there, to call.

I would've called with 55 there also as the 120 in like 280 just seemed a) weak and b) enticing. Yeah, I know I could be very well getting valued bet drawing to maybe 6 outs (AA has me down to 4 outs). But if I miss the turn, it is an easy fold, losing what I would feel is the minimum.

Betting ~240 puts a lot of pressure on villain as that is about 20% of their stack. If villain still calls....well, not much you can do. You charged a price that was more then high enough to weed out his draw. But by betting barely over your PF raise into 2 villains just seems weak IMO.
  • This is a dangerous hand, and I'm not sure there are any way you could have shaken him off the hand, other then jamming your stack in after the flop.

Unlucky hand with that flop.