PC tech help needed. Comp to the rescue?

So, house with two dogs = dusty = PC and other assorted electronics are also now dusty inside, or at least in air vents on cases.

Question: Do I have to buy a can of compressed air to blow this crap out from the guts of my PC, etc. or can I use my compressor that runs my nail gun for this purpose. I have the airgun attachment for the compressor already. I googled this and came back with conflicting information. Some said no problem, some said beware of moisture in hose lines, some said way too much air pressure for said purpose and may damage delicate parts.

Jeff, as you appear to be the resident PC expert... what are your thoughts? I'd rather not destroy my motherboard, etc. by doing this if it's not safe. Someone also mentioned that compressed air cans have anti static stuff inside as high air pressure can create static electricity?

Comments

• just get a dripping wet rag soaked in vinegar and bleach and all should be fine.

/thread.

:D
  • I'd stay away from the compressor as you could be firing in, moisture/oil/static any of which could cause you some problems.

Get a can of air, take the machine outside and gently blow the dust out. If you get too close with the nozzle and spray too hard you can actually do damage by almost freezing the parts. That stuff gets cold when released from high pressure to low.

But as you said, COMP is the expert and you should take his advice over mine if he differs.
  • Compressed air cans are money, take off the one side of your tower take it outside and clean it out. Works great on the keyboard as well.
  • Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I was leaning towards the canned air. The compressor and air gun is more of a pain than I wanted to deal with. I also think the air pressure would be too intense and hard to control properly. Don't need to be blowing the mother board apart.

Fed, the mixture you suggested sounds like something you should be using to clean your wee lil nether regions after your nights out with the "rippers". Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.
  • Depending on the air compressor they can be used, but as others have said you don't want too much pressure, so if it's adjustable and you can turn it down, it should be ok. I normally just use the cans of compressed air though. Not concerned with freezing components other than not doing it when the system is hot, just wait until it's been powered off for 20 min or so.