video card

Ok...so I got my cable in from Monoprice (thanks moose!!) and of course, couldn't get it to work properly/at all.

my vid card has dvi out only....my vga is onboard?? (up higher in the standard position anyway)

Anyway...I could only get it to pop up on my tv as a "stretched" desktop..and even then, only twice while messing with resolution settings..updated drivers, etc...still no go...

So, I got my hands on a NX600 td256e card with 3 outputs...put it in the machine and book, instantly working as a clone..

However...

The resolution on my tv is 1920x1080 so the desktop edges are gone..and the video card won't let me set up to that res...as well, wheel mouse scrolling is super choppy/laggy....and when I send videos to the tv, they are also choppy with this card...

So...I am looking for a new card...any input on what card? I am going to be getting a second 22" monitor at the same time..

My system is currently..3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, 1528 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Do I need a new card, or just lacking in ram??

Comments

• Dennis, you need a video card with 2 outputs, you can't use your onboard output AND the additional video card. Once you plug in an additional card it disables the onboard video. I do not believe there is any way around this.
  • So, if you have a video card with VGA and DVI-15 output can you have both ports attached to separate monitors at the same time? Matrox Millenium G550 is what I've got. It has both ports.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Dennis, you need a video card with 2 outputs, you can't use your onboard output AND the additional video card. Once you plug in an additional card it disables the onboard video. I do not believe there is any way around this.

Hmm...well, I did have both monitors (tv as second) working as an extended desktop....my 22"lcd is plugged into the standard VGA. I had the tv plugged into the card on the (only) dvi port...it worked briefly..maybe it realized it couldn't do both and shut it down?

I did plug in a new card with 3 outputs, vga, dvi and s-video...but again..it made the scrolling and video really choppy and laggy...poker seemed to work fine. As well, I couldn't set the resolution so that it fit on the tv screen..the tv auto adjusts to 1920x1080? Thereby not allowing me to see the taskbar/start menu, or my left hand desktop icons..

I am wondering if that 3 port card I have is just old? Or do I not have enough RAM?
  • So, if you have a video card with VGA and DVI-15 output can you have both ports attached to separate monitors at the same time? Matrox Millenium G550 is what I've got. It has both ports.

Isn't that a really old card, ie several year old? I know Dell and some others have single DVI output cards that will support 2 monitors through a splitter cable.
  • The three port (dvi, vga, and svideo) card that I tried out, made everything slow and choppy, as well, I didn't have near the range of resolution to choose from.

Again, this card could be old..I don't know..would that make things slow and choppy when scrolling?

Also, does Svideo take sound with it to the tv? or do we always have to run a separate sound cable?

I think I should have done more research before getting this dvi cable methinks...lol. If anyone is interested I may have a 50' dvi to hdmi cable for sale...
  • Svideo does not carry audio...
  • Check if your tv has an HDMI input.

Buy a card like the HD 4650 or HD 4670 based ATI/AMD that has an HDMI output.

If you want to run 2 monitors and a TV at the same time, you want an HD 5000 based card.
  • Check the input settings on your tv as well. The tv can't backdrive your computer so it is probably the tv that is struggling to keep up with your computer, unless it is the video resolution settings on your computer that is slowing down the computer. The tv should have a vga/computer input setting that runs at a lower resolution or you may have to manually change your tv resolution settings.
  • Check if your tv has an HDMI input.

Buy a card like the HD 4650 or HD 4670 based ATI/AMD that has an HDMI output.

If you want to run 2 monitors and a TV at the same time, you want an HD 5000 based card.

The tv has 3 hdmi inputs, a vga, an svideo, and a usb or two..I bought the dvi to hdmi cable for quality of video. I don't want the tv so much for a monitor, but now and then for video, and some poker..I will mostly run twin monitors on my desk top...and if I have to manually switch one of the cables to run to the tv..so be it..i am ok with that.
    moose wrote: »
    Check the input settings on your tv as well. The tv can't backdrive your computer so it is probably the tv that is struggling to keep up with your computer, unless it is the video resolution settings on your computer that is slowing down the computer. The tv should have a vga/computer input setting that runs at a lower resolution or you may have to manually change your tv resolution settings.

There is a vga/pc input...but I have the hdmi cable..Should I maybe get an adapter (if one is avail.) from hdmi back to vga for "monitor" use on my tv? I have tried to find a way to manually set the resolution on my tv, but not having much luck...It is a Sanyo lcd42e3 if that is any help?

A quote from the owners manual
    "the TV can automatically recognize signals from the connected PC/HDMI"

then it shows a column of resolutions in various modes that the tv should jump to...but, my tv doesn't seem to recognize the pc with that input/cable. It is staying at 1920x1080.

Another quote below the resolutions..

"When the PC input is not in the PC signal mode column above, a "no support" message will be displayed but in some cases the LCD TV will still display the PC signal. In this situation the display position may not be correct and the quality may not be good."

Ok..is this telling me that I need to set my monitor resolution to the corresponding modes resolution? For example...vga system mode says 640x480 resolution. SXGA (42" full hd only) is 1280x1024.
    If so...system mode is the hdmi? svga? xga? wxga?
    I don't have the 3 port card in right now, but if I recall, I don't believe the card allowed me resolutions as high as 1280x768????

is any of this making any sense?? lol
  • compuease wrote: »
    Isn't that a really old card, ie several year old? I know Dell and some others have single DVI output cards that will support 2 monitors through a splitter cable.

Hmm, you could be right about that. My buddy gave me his old pc to replace mine when I left Vancouver as he was buying a new one. But now that I think about it, he did harvest some things out of this thing and used some of the bits out of my old one to replace. I could see him keeping the video card from this.

Ah well, it gets me where I need to go..
  • try posting on avsforum.com