Tax time

So it is coming up to that time, tax season, Do you guys file by mail or online?

Did online last year and just did it again this year but a different program, cannot remember what I used last year but it worked out pretty good.

Netfile does not open until Monday so I have to wait to actually file, but IF the program I used is correct and IF the government don't change anything for the worse(ya right, usually it's oh we adjusted this and that to screw you) I should be getting a refund this year again, not like there is that much to my return cause I am poor and have no life:-[.

So I won't get too excited until I actually get the word, but I might have a proper bankroll for the pokeee and maybe look at some wsop satellite action or something if I don't want to quit poker by that time:-\.

But if your getting a refund what are you planning to do with it?

Comments

• Personally Philli, I'm just trying to get into the habit of actually filing..period.

I've used Quicktax in the past and quite liked it. The business version has decent features for self-employed people that helps out those of us who are 'accounting' failures.

In terms of a refund and what to do with it..... Being self employed, there is never a refund. It's all about damage control and owing as little as is allowed by law.
  • I just use ufile, cheaper, easy to use, gets the job done
  • Personally Philli, I'm just trying to get into the habit of actually filing..period.

I've used Quicktax in the past and quite liked it. The business version has decent features for self-employed people that helps out those of us who are 'accounting' failures.

In terms of a refund and what to do with it..... Being self employed, there is never a refund. It's all about damage control and owing as little as YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH.

^^^^ this plus FYP..
  • NETFILE ftw
  • I let my accountant worry about my taxes. He's big on a #2 pencil, and a Staedtler eraser. Almost always get $$$ back from the CRA. Wifey, too.
  • Just hoping I don't owe or it's time for some creative deductions.

Maybe I'll adopt philli :)
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Just hoping I don't owe or it's time for some creative deductions.

Maybe I'll adopt philli :)

lol

wooohoooo!:)
  • That's why all house pets get given "people" names. Makes the dependent deductions more plausible if your daughter is not named "Spot".

More likely to get those free Credit Cards, too . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    That's why all house pets get given "people" names. Makes the dependent deductions more plausible if your daughter is not named "Spot".

More likely to get those free Credit Cards, too . . .

It's her middle name. ;)
  • ufile for sure, a lot better than quick tax and much cheaper. once you try it, you never go back. refunds go into RESPs. Pretty boring.
  • I generally take my refunds and stuff it into a coffee can. I have several buried in the yard at the moment. Gov't cannot tax what they cannot find . . .
    I generally take my refunds and stuff it into a coffee can. I have several buried in the yard at the moment. Gov't cannot tax what they cannot find . . .

Documented and reported.

I make a decent amount of cake and get raped pretty good at tax time. Not one of my favorite times of year.

Family has an accountant that handles all of our, "returns" :(
    I generally take my refunds and stuff it into a coffee can. I have several buried in the yard at the moment. Gov't cannot tax what they cannot find . . .

Heading to Milo's with my metal detector. I knew that thing would pay off. :D
  • FAIL . . . The cans are plastic.

Bwahahahahahaha . . . I thought of EVERYTHING !!!

Now, where did I put that map?
  • So, 1 vote for Quicktax, 2 votes for Ufile, 1 for netfile, 2 for accountant.... My math could be wrong.

I will look into Ufile. I assume it has write off features for self employed people? For Quicktax I had to get the business version for this stuff. I hate keeping track of this stuff so much, but once you jump into it...it takes no time at all to finish. Paying it is another story.
  • Paying? no no no . . . Gov't pays you . . . right?
  • funny that don't know how to efile for myself but i can always make sure i get a substantial return
  • Isn't netfile just the gov website where you file online? Wildbill for self employment I would use an accountant. Time saved and extra $ they find for you should offset the costs. Ufile might be too basic for selfemployment, dunno for sure though haven't really looked into that part.
  • pen and paper ftw?
    FAIL . . . The cans are plastic.

Bwahahahahahaha . . . I thought of EVERYTHING !!!

Now, where did I put that map?

Pretty sure Hobbes has a plastic Detector on his Utility Belt!!

:)

Milton Slim
  • actyper wrote: »
    Isn't netfile just the gov website where you file online? Wildbill for self employment I would use an accountant. Time saved and extra $ they find for you should offset the costs. Ufile might be too basic for selfemployment, dunno for sure though haven't really looked into that part.

correct, netfile is only for actually filing, not open till this Monday:(
  • Dear Milo

Please buy us a proper t.v. when you get refund.

Thanks

Your family
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Dear Milo

Please buy us a proper t.v. when you get refund.

Thanks

Your family

Dear Family:

Get off your asses and help me find those damn plastic cans, then . . .

Thanks,

Milo.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    pencil and paper ftw?

Fixed it for you, Wetts, but I like your style . . .
  • actyper wrote: »
    Isn't netfile just the gov website where you file online? Wildbill for self employment I would use an accountant. Time saved and extra $ they find for you should offset the costs. Ufile might be too basic for selfemployment, dunno for sure though haven't really looked into that part.

Thanks for this Actyper. I should just go to an accountant. I have thought about it. I just don't like paying people for things I can do myself. I'm sure they'd do a better job and find more savings though. I've always....enjoyed doing my own taxes. At least before becoming self employed. Now it's a huge paper shuffle, gathering and sorting receipts, frustration fest.

I think one upside to going to an accountant would be the motivation factor. If someone else is going to see how disorganized I am (and charge me for their time), I would try harder to not be. If it's just me who's going to suffer through it, meh. Then I just don't do it.
  • Looks like everything was right and the refund was mailed today(thought I had direct deposit already but no, oh well), so still not sure if I will do anything with it poker wise, but as long as it gets here with no problems first. :)
  • As usual, I used QuickTax to NETFILE. In case anybody needs to file for prior years, I heard that QuickTax offers free downloads of its old tax software.
    So, 1 vote for Quicktax, 2 votes for Ufile, 1 for netfile, 2 for accountant....
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    As usual, I used QuickTax to NETFILE. In case anybody needs to file for prior years, I heard that QuickTax offers free downloads of its old tax software.

Wrong. And I also found out that using QuickTaxWeb is a bad idea because they took down the 2007 web version and I had no way to rerun my 2007 taxes without buying the software version. :bs::mad::mad::mad:

I was super pissed.

Previous Years Tax | Old QuickTax Versions (2007 & 2008)
  • My trusty #2 was sharp enough to get both the wife and I a decent refund.
  • moose wrote: »
    Wrong. And I also found out that using QuickTaxWeb is a bad idea because they took down the 2007 web version and I had no way to rerun my 2007 taxes without buying the software version. :bs::mad::mad::mad:

I was super pissed.
    Think you have always had to pay for the previous 2 years versions but older than that is free... About 2 years ago I needed the 2003 version and they allowed me to get that free...

Quicktax is so easy to use, even for small business...