Home Computer

13»

Comments

• Is it o.k. to talk laptops in this thread? If not can move to a new thread.

I am getting my vacation payout this week and while I will probably wait to see what I get for a tax return ( if anything of course) I am looking at a new laptop.

I am looking at a 17 inch screen up from 15.6 I have now, 1600x900 resolution is one I am looking at, the main use is for poker, what is a good amount of ram to have, good resolution for multitabling and any other specs that are important?

As for price I don't want to go over $499, I know this may be hard for a 17 inch but I don't need anything super fancy, just enough memory etc etc.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    As for price I don't want to go over $499, I know this may be hard for a 17 inch but I don't need anything super fancy, just enough memory etc etc.

At that price you may be able to find a refurb, such as below, but you will only find one with a 5400rpm hard drive so somewhat limiting as far as database sorting goes.

HP 17.3" Laptop featuring Intel Core i5-2410 Processor (DV7-6123CL) -Black -English Only-Refurbished : Refurbished Laptops - Best Buy Canada

I don't think you can find new for under $650. and that would be with an AMD processor.
  • compuease wrote: »
    At that price you may be able to find a refurb, such as below, but you will only find one with a 5400rpm hard drive so somewhat limiting as far as database sorting goes.

HP 17.3" Laptop featuring Intel Core i5-2410 Processor (DV7-6123CL) -Black -English Only-Refurbished : Refurbished Laptops - Best Buy Canada

I don't think you can find new for under $650. and that would be with an AMD processor.

Toshiba Satellite 17.3" Laptop featuring Intel Pentium B950 Processor (PSC3UC-024001) - Black : 17" Laptops - Best Buy Canada

??
    Is it o.k. to talk laptops in this thread? If not can move to a new thread.

I am getting my vacation payout this week and while I will probably wait to see what I get for a tax return ( if anything of course) I am looking at a new laptop.

I am looking at a 17 inch screen up from 15.6 I have now, 1600x900 resolution is one I am looking at, the main use is for poker, what is a good amount of ram to have, good resolution for multitabling and any other specs that are important?

If the main use of the computer is poker and you only have $499 ...

Then get a desktop.

Invest the money you save in a more screen space.
  • If the main use of the computer is poker and you only have $499 ...

Then get a desktop.

Invest the money you save in a more screen space.

Thanks reef, problem is I don't have the space for a desktop in my room, I wish I had the space for a desk and a chair:-[ than I could go multiple monitors.

I would still be o.k. with the same size screen just a bigger one would be a "nice to have".

@ comp

Stupid and basic question, LOL
    If I get a laptop with integrated wifi would I still need a router?
    Thanks reef, problem is I don't have the space for a desktop in my room, I wish I had the space for a desk and a chair:-[ than I could go multiple monitors.

I would still be o.k. with the same size screen just a bigger one would be a "nice to have".

@ comp

How many tables do you play? I think you could just spend $300ish on a 15" laptop.
  • yeah this totally depends how many tables u play and if u run a HUD and tableninja etc. My sony vaio 17" laptop was working fine for the past two ish years with pt3, but for the most part that was without TN and with like 4-6 tabling. Since I have incorporated TN and added more tables, it lags like a b!tch. I have resorted to playing HUDless until I get my desktop back up and running in a few weeks. Talking to my IT today or tomorrow, but I might just need to get a new machine. If that is the case, I will go back to desktop no matter what. sighhhh
    @ comp

yes..
  • compuease wrote: »
    yes..

Thanks. :)
  • ...unless you go with Bell. They have an integrated modem & router. We used it, seems fine. Further, my father-in-law had that modem-router too and he ended up going with a smaller ISP. We flashed the old Bell modem and he's still using the same hardware with a new provider.

Although from another thread you might be on Rogers so not sure of the total merits of switching.
  • Integrated wifi on a laptop refers to the fact that a wireless network card is installed standard. He still needs a wireless router (or modem/router combo) unless he goes with a mobile internet service, such as Rogers' internet stick or whateverthefuckitscalled.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »

Phil.This is the laptop i have.Bought it at Staples 2 months ago for $379 on sale.$150 off normal price. I dont do anything on it other than poker and surfing the net, and email. Has a 440Gb harddrive,DVD burner and player. Only a 2.0 GHZ processor but is still fine for simple shit.I still have my PC in the basement for downloading and burning movies etc etc, but since i bought this and got the wifi going my wife is happy that im not down in the dungeon all night any more playin poker,whacking it, etc. I also can now watch sports on my 55" HD tv while playing poker (instead of the old 32" picture tube tv in the basement). With wifi i move all around the house with the laptop. I love it. No longer have to wait for breaks to go out to the garage and have a smoke or a dube, or make a sandwich or whatever. Hell, i even take it into the bathroom to have a piss for christ sakes!! Never miss a hand. The only thing i am disappointed about is that it didnt help my game.LOL. WTF.......:confused: