wow that is a lil scary

Just got a call from my bank, their system picked up a unusual transaction on my credit card, so getting a new number and cancel my current one, so 5-7 days till i get my new one, I am happy they have systems in place to catch this sort of thing right away.

I now worry about the story's of moneybookers, cause that is like the last place I used my card, I have heard story's of hacked accounts and such.

So moral of the story is if you get a call from the bank get back to them as soon as you can.

Comments

• philliivey wrote: »

I now worry about the story's of moneybookers, cause that is like the last place I used my card, I have heard story's of hacked accounts and such.

I'd be more worried about using my CC at a gas station.

I doubt it's MB cause you cannot even see your entire cc number from their screen and they also do not save the verifiaction number.

Most people that have their accounts hacked is due to their own laziness (i.e. bad passwords that are easy to guess)
  • Received a call about my debit card the same. They had deposited a empty envelop as a $1500.00 deposit on Friday to check the account. By Saturday morning they had made $1800 in withdrawal. Thank you for the same system.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about using my CC at a gas station.

I doubt it's MB cause you cannot even see your entire cc number from their screen and they also do not save the verifiaction number.

Most people that have their accounts hacked is due to their own laziness (i.e. bad passwords that are easy to guess)

ya, I am not sure how it could have happened, e-wallets are the last thing I used with my credit card is all I am saying.
  • At least your banks contact you. Three weeks ago, my bank removed $5000 from my chequing account (which didn't have $5000 in it), automatically started charging me interest on the outstanding balance (+ various NSF and overdraft fees), and the only notification I got was a letter that was dated over a week after the fact (after I discovered it on my own when I couldn't pay my bills) and arrived 2 weeks after by snail mail, informing me that my account was frozen and they were charging daily interest. No phone call, and no apologies after getting THEIR ERROR corrected and fees reimbursed (had to go in in person to get my manager - who was on vacation at the time - to do that for me)... but so far they've refused to reimburse the interest on the outstanding balance; apparently "out of [their] hands"; "nothing can be done about that", etc. Still fighting with them, as it was all a bank error. Had nothing to do with stolen card/PIN/fraud or anything like that.

I F'ing hate banks.
  • About a year ago, I got a call from my bank advising me that there had been some suspicious activity on my account. They told me that my bankcard was being used simultaneously at two different bank machines at opposite ends of the city. This was at 8am on a Saturday and I was still lying in bed. Idiot thieves made multiple copies of my bankcard and used it at the same time. If they used it at different times my bank probably never would have caught it right away.