Leafs - wtf?!?

Supposedly Phaneuf, and Giguere are coming to T.O.

This could be interesting, if true.

Comments

• yah...both have been confirmed:
    The Calgary Flames have traded defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Fredrik Sjostrom, and prospect defenceman Keith Aulie to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forwards Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired veteran goaltender Jean-Sebastien from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for netminder Vesa Toskala and veteran forward Jason Blake.
  • Reserve your parade route spot now! Really love the 2nd trade especially. Would have gladly given Toskala and Blake away for free...
    Don't really like losing White and Hagman but gotta give something to get something....
  • Leafs are stil garbage...

Gustavsson will be starting so Giguere will be backing him up.. phaneuf is over rated.

Only good thing the leafs did was drop salaries.

Burke is an idiot.
  • epic_donk wrote: »
    Leafs are stil garbage...

Gustavsson will be starting so Giguere will be backing him up.. phaneuf is over rated.

Only good thing the leafs did was drop salaries.

Burke is an idiot.

LOL at phaneuf being over-rated.

Like the trades, just sucks that White is gone. Giggy will be a good mentor for Gustavsson.
  • Being a big Canucks fan (that first period last night scared me. Nice finish though. Maple Laffs!), one of the worst things they did was get rid of Burke. He's a great GM, and Leafs fans should be happy to have him. When I heard he'd been fired from Vancouver I wanted ownerships heads on pikes at the city walls.

Fed, isn't this a restaurant up your way?

freebeer.jpg
  • Bill, always nice to have another Nucks fan out there. I was pretty pissed off when Burke left, more so though when Nonis was gone and they replaced him with Mike Gillis. He's done alright so far, but man did it look like a train wreck waiting to happen.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Bill, always nice to have another Nucks fan out there. I was pretty pissed off when Burke left, more so though when Nonis was gone and they replaced him with Mike Gillis. He's done alright so far, but man did it look like a train wreck waiting to happen.

We're derailing the thread completely Cerberus (Fed, note the correct spelling), but since Burke was mentioned it's relevant. I remember the day when they brought in Gillis, Niel Mcrae (spelling?) went insane. I thought he was going to stroke out! I still lived in Vancouver at the time and the sports talk radio shows lit up like a xmas tree. Gillis had NO experience as a GM at all! He was an agent. That is all. Yep, he's done ok so far but you have to wonder if that was mostly based on what he got as a starting point.
  • We're derailing the thread completely Cerberus (Fed, note the correct spelling), but since Burke was mentioned it's relevant. I remember the day when they brought in Gillis, Niel Mcrae (spelling?) went insane. I thought he was going to stroke out! I still lived in Vancouver at the time and the sports talk radio shows lit up like a xmas tree. Gillis had NO experience as a GM at all! He was an agent. That is all. Yep, he's done ok so far but you have to wonder if that was mostly based on what he got as a starting point.

Ahh yes Billy.. good old walker house in the dirty South (hampton).. dated a few girls from there and was actually raped by the owner of that restaurants daughter :bs:

Anywyas, I feel for the leafs organization.. every single goal tender that comes there ends up sucking.. its a constant trend, and IMO, Gustavsson hasnt proven SHIT, hes just another average goaltender in the National Hockey League.

We will see how htings go, but things are not looking good for the leafs for the rest of this year, but hopefully they get a few free agents in the summer that can actually give them a shot at being good over the next few seasons.
  • These trades all scream of reverse contract dumping. The Leafs are going to finish at the bottom. Theyve already given up a likely top 3 pick.

Rest assured they will bringing on a few very large useless contracts in the upcoming weeks in exchange for draft picks.

Also, LOL at the leafs not winning the Phaneuf trade.

Hagman/White + A bag of pucks for Phaneuf and Aulie (whos gonna be a beast).

There are thousands of Mayers/Stajans out there.
  • Leafs fans (and certain Leafs GM's) have ALWAYS over-valued the talent on the team. It's why the sports-talk shows light up with gems like "Stajan for "x" and a first round pick" at trade deadline time.
    Burked did a good job today. One trade is a solid win, and the other is 50/50 at worst.

Liked what I heard from Burke, and Wilson today . . .
  • + Elisha cuthbert. Clear win
  • First off......Vancouver fans....GTFO.....sorry, had to be done. No one likes or cares about the Canucks other than BC'ites. The sisters will fall on their face following the Olympics, as Sweden gets crushed by Canada.....and down will go the Canucks.

Was hoping we could get Kovulchuk or some other high octane offensive player for Phaneuf....instead, we get more mediocrity.

Lol @ anyone who thinks the Leafs got anything more than Phaneuf in this deal.

In Phaneuf, you get what you see.....a hard hitting decent offensive defenceman. One problem with him, he'll give up on the defensive zone if he can line up a big hit......which I don't have a problem with, but I think it got a bit old for the coaching staff (ie. we haven't been good defensively since he's be on the team).

I'm not displeased to see him gone....but I'm displeased at the bags of pucks we got in return.

To anyone who thinks the Flames did good in the one......you're fucking stupid.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    First off......Vancouver fans....GTFO.....sorry, had to be done. No one likes or cares about the Canucks other than BC'ites. The sisters will fall on their face following the Olympics, as Sweden gets crushed by Canada.....and down will go the Canucks.

Was hoping we could get Kovulchuk or some other high octane offensive player for Phaneuf....instead, we get more mediocrity.

Lol @ anyone who thinks the Leafs got anything more than Phaneuf in this deal.

In Phaneuf, you get what you see.....a hard hitting decent offensive defenceman. One problem with him, he'll give up on the defensive zone if he can line up a big hit......which I don't have a problem with, but I think it got a bit old for the coaching staff (ie. we haven't been good defensively since he's be on the team).

I'm not displeased to see him gone....but I'm displeased at the bags of pucks we got in return.

To anyone who thinks the Flames did good in the one......you're fucking stupid.

flames did well

Phaneuf hasnt done shit the past year and a half, so i can see why he's gone from the flames.

flames picked up hagman and white who are proven good NHL'ers... mayers and stajan are mediocre at best.

Only and best way to speculate who "won" this trade is to let it play out and see how it plays out.
  • epic_donk wrote: »
    flames did well

Phaneuf hasnt done shit the past year and a half, so i can see why he's gone from the flames.

flames picked up hagman and white who are proven good NHL'ers... mayers and stajan are mediocre at best.

Only and best way to speculate who "won" this trade is to let it play out and see how it plays out.

Firstly, Phaneuf hasn't exactly been a poor or even average player......just not the dominating defenceman he was expected to be. I don't think there's a team in the league that would not want him on their team.

Hagman and White are a couple of average players on a bad team.....I just don't like trading a premium player for more of what we already have.

This trade is an easy win for the Leafs.
  • Apparently Phaneuf is a cancer in the dressing room. Don't know how true it is but he is described as "hard-headed" and "assertive." Sounds like he couldn't get along with his teammates. He also has a proclivity to go for the big hit while forsaking his defensive position. I read that he didn't listen to the coaching staff when they tried to teach him how to defend cycling. Maybe he'll listen to the coaching in Toronto, I don't know. Everyone agrees he needs to improve his play, but he has a huge upside.

I also read that some GMs consider Aulie to be a great prospect.

Giguere is definitely an improvement. Should be no argument there. Plus, he's being reunited with his former goaltending coach in Anaheim, Francois Allaire. So he might be able to recapture some of the magic that got him a Cup not too long ago.

Anyway, Toronto gave up a lot of their offense, which was already meager to begin with. I don't see these trades making them immediately better. Maybe in a few years.