gg J.D. Salinger

One of the most discussed books of all time.

It's a good read.

Mark

Comments

• No, it isn't. Franny and Zooey was much better, as was Bananafish.

Still, RIP.

So, who's checking their lists?
  • DrTyore wrote: »

It's a good read.

Mark

This is one of the few times that I have to disagree with you Mark. Catcher in the Rye is the single most overrated book of all time IMHO. I read it cover to cover one night and I didn't like it in the least. I found that I had absolutely no empathy for the main character (Holden Caulfield) whatsoever and the story just seemed to meander without anything of particular interest happening. And then it ended with a wimper.
    I have no issue with the author (don't know a thing about him to be honest) but I just don't get why so many people cite this as one of the most influential and impressive works of literature.
    My two cents for what it's worth.
  • By the way, I finished that book you lent me the other day. That was an entertaining read, I definitely enjoyed it. Thank you. I'll have to get it back to you somehow.
  • This is a huge bummer.
    RIP.
  • DrTyore wrote: »

It's a good read.

Mark

I didn't know J.D. Salinger was a book. How does a book die?
  • Usually in a fire. That's what I did with my Catcher in the Rye. It is the only time I have deliverately destroyed a book.
  • elitism itt..it was a good book.
  • Shtebs wrote: »
    By the way, I finished that book you lent me the other day. That was an entertaining read, I definitely enjoyed it. Thank you. I'll have to get it back to you somehow.

Let me guess: "Beareinstein Bears go to the Dentist".
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    Let me guess: "Beareinstein Bears go to the Dentist".

Berenstain_bears_dick_kick.png
  • Milo wrote: »
    Usually in a fire. That's what I did with my Catcher in the Rye. It is the only time I have deliverately destroyed a book.

So i'm not the only one who found that book to be incredibly bad? Thank you Milo, I thought I was taking crazy pills. Honestly, not one thing I liked about it. The story, the writing style, the protagonist. I've read many many MANY books and found lots I've liked and lots that have dissapointed. Not all mainstream but I just can't wrap my head around the fascination with what is one big pill of boring.
    I feel like it's one of those things that many people claim to have enjoyed simply because it seems enlightened to do so.
    Okay, I got that out of my system.

rant\
  • derrickone wrote: »
    Berenstain_bears_dick_kick.png

close, it was
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Common sense itt..it was a shitty book.

Fixed it for you. ROFL at me being "elitist". Such a bad read, Kristy. And I'm talking about your post, too.

Question, have you actually gone back and read it since high school? If it wasn't part of the curriculum, I never would have touched that piece of crap. Again, Franny & Zooey >>> Catcher in the Rye

Stebs . . . apples poop?
  • Milo wrote: »

Stebs . . . apples poop?

No, they BECOME poo. Thought you knew ;)
  • And in some cases, they become poo incredibly quickly. I eat an apple and I have to get ready for an emergency jettison of all cargo and fuel. QUICKLY!
  • Now, where is that waiter with my lunch order?
  • You guys are taking crazy pills. It's a great book. No great book is broad enough for everyone to like, but the fact that it resonated with as many people as it has over all these years shows that Salinger tapped into something very strong.