Which 17" Laptop for 9 Tabling?

I'm thinking of getting a cheap Acer for $600 or so...I have a 1 yr old 15" Acer and it is a great affordable laptop...use it for watching movies and playing poker more or less.

Any reason to spend more money on something else? If so, links to suggestions?

Comments

• Have had power problems with my HP, but as a poker playing / entertainment system it is a pretty good one.
  • I just got (~3 mo ago) a 17 HP for about 750 and love it.

I never really trust anything but HP for whatever reason.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a cheap Acer for $600 or so...I have a 1 yr old 15" Acer and it is a great affordable laptop...use it for watching movies and playing poker more or less.

This...I am just in the process of picking up a new one as well and was trying to track down old posts on the subject..but, with computers it seems, anything anyone said last week is outdated now...So yeah, curious what anyone has to say here..
  • I have 2 HPs, both of em are great. I've been told to stay away from acer and toshiba.
  • Wow, My first 2 laptops were hp/compaq and after terrible experiences (especially with customer service) I vowed never to purchase another. My experience with Acer has been great (see they get capitalized). I was wondering more about whether I need something more costly/powerful than a lower-end new 17" laptop but I guess I don't?
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I just got (~3 mo ago) a 17 HP for about 750 and love it.

I never really trust anything but HP for whatever reason.

Have one for about a year.....only ever two problems....the sound cuts out for some reason (usually after about an hour or so of playing)....being anti-tech, I just restart at the breaks rather than try to figure out the problem.

Oh, and if said laptop is on the coffee table, and I lose a big pot and bang the table in 'just got donk'd' fashion, it will turn off, if the bang is too big (hit the couch instead IMO).

That being said, I think I'd stick to HP if I was buying again.
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    I have 2 HPs, both of em are great. I've been told to stay away from acer and toshiba.

Let me guess.......the HP sales rep?
    Wow, My first 2 laptops were hp/compaq and after terrible experiences (especially with customer service) I vowed never to purchase another. My experience with Acer has been great (see they get capitalized). I was wondering more about whether I need something more costly/powerful than a lower-end new 17" laptop but I guess I don't?

This... 1st of all the store salesman will tell you whatever it takes to get you to buy his current highest incentive box..

I do also like Acers in the west GTA area because their service centre for Canada is here. They also seem very reasonable on repairs and I know they have fixed more than one outside of warranty for free...

Issue I have with HP is the amount of free/trial software they load them down with... Never seem to run as smooth/fast as they should.
  • I'm happy with the Dell Studio 17 that I bought in September. I've always bought Dell and when it's time to buy the next-generation poker PC with three monitors, I'll probably choose Dell again.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I'm happy with the Dell Studio 17 that I bought in September. I've always bought Dell and when it's time to buy the next-generation poker PC with three monitors, I'll probably choose Dell again.

Is there any reason I should pay more for a Dell than the Acer ($600) (I like the Acer brand so the actual brand isn't the issue). I am assuming not since I can 6 table without any lag etc on my 15 Acer, but if I am missing something than let me know.
  • I just bought this Acer Windows 7 laptop 2 weeks ago and love it... it was on sale as part of their Overstock event for $599, which was $200 off the current list price. My first Acer, but so far so good. The 17 inch screen looks really good, it has 4 GB memory, and it includes built-in Wireless N and webcam.

Computers: Laptops: Acer Aspire 17.3" Laptop featuring AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual Core ZM-84 (AS7535-5415) - Blue | Best Buy Canada Web Store

I now also use a Bell Mobile Internet Turbo stick and with Windows 7 I am getting much better Download speeds (I cannot get DSL or cable where I live...). On my older XP laptop, I was getting 1.1 Mbps download speeds, but just by switching to Win 7, I now am getting almost 4 Mbps download speeds!
  • I just bought this Acer Windows 7 laptop 2 weeks ago and love it... it was on sale as part of their Overstock event for $599, which was $200 off the current list price. My first Acer, but so far so good. The 17 inch screen looks really good, it has 4 GB memory, and it includes built-in Wireless N and webcam.

Computers: Laptops: Acer Aspire 17.3" Laptop featuring AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual Core ZM-84 (AS7535-5415) - Blue | Best Buy Canada Web Store

I now also use a Bell Mobile Internet Turbo stick and with Windows 7 I am getting much better Download speeds (I cannot get DSL or cable where I live...). On my older XP laptop, I was getting 1.1 Mbps download speeds, but just by switching to Win 7, I now am getting almost 4 Mbps download speeds!

Yeah, that is the one I'm probably getting for $600 -- thanks. No issues 9 tabling and running other programs then? Can you fit 9 tables without overlap?

I'm liking the new i3 based 32nm stuff from intel. I haven't seen many reviews but in theory the smaller 32nm dies should give you better performance/power.

something like Toshiba Satellite L500: Intel Core i3 Laptop | Laptop - Notebooks Drivers Updates
  • I'm liking the new i3 based 32nm stuff from intel. I haven't seen many reviews but in theory the smaller 32nm dies should give you better performance/power.

something like Toshiba Satellite L500: Intel Core i3 Laptop | Laptop - Notebooks Drivers Updates

How great does the performance have to be to play 9 tables while browsing/msn etc?
    How great does the performance have to be to play 9 tables while browsing/msn etc?

Playing poker/browsing doesn't require performance. Any modern laptop will do.

What takes processing grunt work is running a database of Gigs of hands for Pokertracker. If you don't run a big database then performance isn't an issue.

If you do run a huge database, then having an SSD will improve things more than having more processing power.
  • Playing poker/browsing doesn't require performance. Any modern laptop will do.

What takes processing grunt work is running a database of Gigs of hands for Pokertracker. If you don't run a big database then performance isn't an issue.

If you do run a huge database, then having an SSD will improve things more than having more processing power.

I don't use a hud
    Yeah, that is the one I'm probably getting for $600 -- thanks. No issues 9 tabling and running other programs then? Can you fit 9 tables without overlap?

I usually limit myself to 6 tabling, but no issues at all running 6 windows, IE sessions, and PokerTracker.
  • I usually limit myself to 6 tabling, but no issues at all running 6 windows, IE sessions, and PokerTracker.

cool...thx
    I don't use a hud

You really should check out holdemmanager. It will pay for itself, find and fix your leaks etc, etc.
  • You really should check out holdemmanager. It will pay for itself, find and fix your leaks etc, etc.

I only play PLO cash online -- I have PTO to review hands/earnings, etc but do not use a live HUD