Cables??

Ok..I suck at this computer crap..What cables do I need, and/or, are best for going from my PC or my laptop, to my television? I have a new 42" lcd..so all the inputs are avail.

Moose, didn't you buy some cheap from somewhere in another thread?

Comments

• DennisG wrote: »
    Ok..I suck at this computer crap..What cables do I need, and/or, are best for going from my PC or my laptop, to my television? I have a new 42" lcd..so all the inputs are avail.

Moose, didn't you buy some cheap from somewhere in another thread?

HDMI are the best.

Mark
  • I use a vga cord and it works fine. I'm not a computer expert by any means though.
  • Monoprice.com for cables. Do not buy an HDMI cable from anywhere else.

Moose put me onto these guys. I think I paid about 1/6 of what it was going to cost locally.

Check and make sure what input you plan on using on the tv. If your laptop has HDMI out, your set. The TV I just got has a VGA input, so a vga cord would be fine.

Good thing you've got lcd!
  • Yeah moose knows where to find some ridiculously cheap HDMI cables
  • DVI cable if your Video card has it is what i would use.. it's usually white and if you have a short enough distance the cables are probably cheaper than HDMI
  • Good point TuFull. I surfed around the monoprice website and it actually had little pics of the ends of the cords so you could tell exactly what you needed. Good for folks that aren't overly tech savvy.
  • Hmm...ok, after looking again..apparently I need hdmi (tv) and dvi(pc)

But, what does the 22awg vs 24 awg mean? And are "tin-plated" standard or cheapout?
  • Walleye wrote: »
    I use a vga cord and it works fine. I'm not a computer expert by any means though.

i use this too but to watch movies not play poker
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Hmm...ok, after looking again..apparently I need hdmi (tv) and dvi(pc)

But, what does the 22awg vs 24 awg mean? And are "tin-plated" standard or cheapout?

AWG is the thickness of the actual wire in it.... (american wire guage i believe)
    i'm no expert but i'm not sure if there is a loss in signal vs length vs guage issue

IE: over the 30' the signal strength dissapates with a thicker wire

or i'm completely talking out my ass

but i know this can happen in networking needing signal repeaters etc
  • also +1 to Moose for the sweet link!

def buying cables there next time!
  • yep, awg is the gauge of the cable. Thicker cable would be better. In terms of the number Dennis, thickness of cable goes up when the AWG number goes down. i.e. 22 gauge would be thicker than 24 gauge.

Tin plated would be cheaper. Get the gold plated if you can. Gold is a better conductor. Not much price difference.
  • TuFull wrote: »
    AWG is the thickness of the actual wire in it.... (american wire guage i believe)
    i'm no expert but i'm not sure if there is a loss in signal vs length vs guage issue

IE: over the 30' the signal strength dissapates with a thicker wire

or i'm completely talking out my ass

but i know this can happen in networking needing signal repeaters etc

I'm no expert, but I think you might have it backwards here. I know with speaker wire, the thicker the better. I don't think signal strength dissipates with a thicker wire. I think it's the other way around. I however, could also be talking out my ass.
  • yep, awg is the gauge of the cable. Thicker cable would be better. In terms of the number Dennis, thickness of cable goes up when the AWG number goes down. i.e. 22 gauge would be thicker than 24 gauge.

Tin plated would be cheaper. Get the gold plated if you can. Gold is a better conductor. Not much price difference.

Full of WIN. Over 40 feet, thicker wire will be a lot heavier though. Still if you searched monoprice I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of wireless solution to using such a long cable.
  • moose wrote: »
    Full of WIN. Over 40 feet, thicker wire will be a lot heavier though. Still if you searched monoprice I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of wireless solution to using such a long cable.

I don't know that I trust wireless if I am going to play cards on it..lol..I already have one cable running across the room..two won't matter for the time being. Once I get the new laptop, the short cord will be fine.

Alright..so a 22awg gold 50' should be fine then.

2810s.jpg Product ID: 2810
    HDMI DVI Tin-Plated CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Copper Cable (22AWG) - 50ft (Gold Plated)
    btn_listmoreinfo.png

And yeah, the pricing at monoprice is waaaay better than anywhere else I saw...thanks for that again Moose.
  • wow..
    Ok..so I thought it was a damn good thing their pricing was so good with a 32 dollar shipping charge (cheapest possible)...I phoned a couple local places and one told me he could connect a 15 and a 25 for me to get me 40' for 125 bucks...then I phoned Visions and they have a 10m cord plus I need the hdmi/dvi adapter for 250 bucks...lol..

Cost plus shipping doesn't seem so bad now...lol.. 82 bucks...
  • It's because 50 feet is damn heavy and it will be a big box. Their shipping is actually pretty reasonable. A large flat rate international shipping box via USPS is $26.95, so they are not ripping you.