I saw this yesterday with my daughter (in 3-D), and here are the Cliff Notes:

WOW

James Cameron has crafted a MASTERPIECE. I use the term to describe the entirety of this film. The combination of story, effects, cinematography is simply amazing. I am not one to "gush" over a film, but this is easily the best film I have seen in the last several years, and that includes Dark Knight. I will break it down further:

3-D - Cameron uses the 3-D to great effect. You get the occasional "object flying out of the screen towards you" that you expect, but there are so many other subtle uses of the 3-D effect that catch you going, "wow", before you even realize it is in use. Rarely will you see 'subtle' and 'James Cameron' used in the same sentence, but there is no other way to describe it.

Plot - Yes, you can go in with preconceived ideas about "hidden messages". But if you just go with the intent of watching the film for the experience of it, you will be rewarded for it. I will not try to call it the greatest movie plot of all time, because it is not. It is a well thought out plot, as you would expect from Cameron, and delivers a solid three hours of entertainment that keeps your attention from start to finish.

Cast - Solid cast of blue collar actors, with Sigourney Weaver the only big name I recognized. No one hams it up, or really dominates this film. Worthington is a solid actor who brings a fullness to his character that moves the plot in the directions it needs to go without stretching his credibility.

Special Effects - Cameron's ability to seamlessly move from live action sequences to CGI scenes, to combinations of both is the true highlight, and what will win this movie a BOATLOAD of technical Oscars. I mentioned cinematography. The subtle colour änd "lighting" changes are truly outstanding at conveying the mood swings taking place on screen. I use the quotes because some of the lighting takes place during 100% CGI scenes, so they are computerized.

The only negative comment I can make is the effect used to show the transition from human persona to Avatar is a tad "dated". A similar effect has been used at least twice in other movies that I can think of (Stargate, and Contact). This only occurs a couple times though, so it can be overlooked. Takes Avatoar from a 100% down to a 98%, imo.

Flame away, folks . . .

Comments

• I have to leave this thread before I completely agree with the OP.

Best movie ever.

STRONG ADVICE!!

See it on IMAX in 3D.
  • Yeah, I was talking with a friend about this. Remember the old Cinesphere movie festival? I would pay $30.00 a ticket to see Avatar at the Cinesphere. It would be mind-blowing.
  • I've seen it twice in RealD 3D (no IMAX in K-W) and I pretty much agree with everything Milo said.

An amazing movie experience on the big screen. I don't think it will carry over very well to home viewing, so GO SEE IT in the theater. I mean NOW. Quit reading this and GO! Seriously why are you still reading this??
  • Could a six year old see this?
  • I'd say no to a 6 year old.....blue boobs and some pretty big death scenes.
  • Anybody interested in a movie date?

Ryan fell asleep in the theatre and spent the better part of an hour snoring despite many well-aimed elbows the last time I went with him.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Anybody interested in a movie date?

Ryan fell asleep in the theatre and spent the better part of an hour snoring despite many well-aimed elbows the last time I went with him.

me me me me me:D
  • Go Imax!!! I bought shares years ago when they were supposed to open a bunch of new theaters. Never happened. FML. Bastards. GO IMAX!
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Anybody interested in a movie date?

Well you saw the movie so I don't get this. Are we supposed to go with Ryan?
  • I didn't see this movie..I'm talking about the last one we went to.
  • Imax 3d sold out for a while in the GTA area....still waiting...