Belwood Hand

I'd like thoughts on this.

Down to 3 players. Pays $1200 for 1st, $770 for 2nd, $440 for 3rd.

Villian sits with ≈ 60k
Me with ≈ 50k
Other with ≈ 15k

Blinds are 1/2k. Other is playing like he's hoping we'll let him slide into second, Villian is aggressively pushing me around thinking I'm scared of making a mistake, while I'm desperately searching for anything to play back at him with.

Other folds the button, villian raises to 5k and I pick-up 3h4h ready to get funky and call. (first mistake??)

Flop comes Ah 5h As.

Villian c-bets (as always) 5k. I call (second mistake??)

Turn comes 2c for my straight. Villian checks and I hollywood for a bit before betting 10k. Villian calls. (more mistakes here?)

I'll wait for some gangbangathon before posting outcome.

Comments

• sorry about the fh. :(
  • edit my edit^^ you didn't even get 'frisky' with the 3/4ss you called..ew.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    sorry about the fh. :(

This is?
    Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    edit my edit^^ you didn't even get 'frisky' with the 3/4ss you called..ew.

I know I know, but I was 110% sure I was seeing a free river.
  • probably call with 2k already in the pot; your down to three so you have to start playing hands. I likely push on that flop. Would he likely check his ace or C-bet? If he calls, you have plenty of outs and get to see two more cards. I wouldn't make it to the turn. Either I fold or push on that flop. Let him make the final decision.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    probably call with 2k already in the pot; your down to three so you have to start playing hands. I likely push on that flop. Would he likely check his ace or C-bet? If he calls, you have plenty of outs and get to see two more cards. I wouldn't make it to the turn. Either I fold or push on that flop. Let him make the final decision.

There is 0% chance I fold that flop to a cheap c-bet. Why would I play those two to fold there?

Shove is def possible but there is also "Other" left who is letting us both pick him apart att. I can still get away from it later, and be OK, flatting the c-bet imo.
  • What happened to your other 30K?

5K Pre.
    5K flop.
    You push 10K.

I have a very different opinion if you only had ~20K to start the hand.
  • Sorry, bad terminology. I bet 10k into the 20K pot.
  • I know I know, but I was 110% sure I was seeing a free river.

fh=full house

Why are you sure you're seeing a free river.. if it is because he doesn't have anything..
    neither do you..tid...you're not going to get paid off if you hit if he's weak and if he calls you've got a big draw. I don't really get waiting until the turn to bet..I think as played looks more suspect than say insta-raising hard on that flop...that's what I would do.

idk, gonna think about it more and come back.
  • Got it.

Pre I dont hate a call here. We're talking 3K into 8K with position and still relatively deep.

I am definately not flatting the flop. Its a tricky spot because you dont want to raise enough where you commit yourself. If villain has Ax (btw Im leading that flop with Ax if Im villain) youre still behind with the draw. If you make it 12-13K villain is getting out of dodge with anything other than a hand that shoves.

If you ship the flop you're 40/60 best case scenario with any range that calls.

As played I ship the turn.
  • This is one of those scenarios where I don't mind a minraise on the flop.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Got it.

Pre I dont hate a call here. We're talking 3K into 8K with position and still relatively deep.

I am definately not flatting the flop. Its a tricky spot because you dont want to raise enough where you commit yourself. If villain has Ax (btw Im leading that flop with Ax if Im villain) youre still behind with the draw. If you make it 12-13K villain is getting out of dodge with anything other than a hand that shoves.

If you ship the flop you're 40/60 best case scenario with any range that calls.

idk, I don't think that you're folding getting 2:1 which is what it'll be if you raise to 13 and he shoves.

I'm debating which elicits more calls from the PP>5 type hands..w/e it is for this player (Big shove will be read as weak or he's a lagtard who will try to put pressure back on you etc.) is the correct play imo..since I don't have a fold here we may as well try and get as many into the pool as possible.
    idk, I don't think that you're folding getting 2:1 which is what it'll be if you raise to 13 and he shoves.

I'm debating which elicits more calls from the PP>5 type hands..w/e it is for this player (Big shove will be read as weak or he's a lagtard who will try to put pressure back on you etc.) is the correct play imo..since I don't have a fold here we may as well try and get as many into the pool as possible.

It depends on how much personal value you put into the extra $330.

Personally, I gambool if villain ships and take my 40/60 shot at (basically) all the money. If he folds I just took the Cl anyway.

However HM stated he was concerned that the cripple was still in. Which makes it a little bit of a weaker spot to protect your position.

Why are you sure you're seeing a free river.. if it is because he doesn't have anything..neither do you..

Shut down after flop call was automatic previously. He was not going to slow play an ace. No doubt imm.

Wetts1012 wrote: »

I am definately not flatting the flop. Its a tricky spot because you dont want to raise enough where you commit yourself.

Agree 100% I should have shipped turn. Had visions of big pay day flying through my mind though.
    actyper wrote: »
    This is one of those scenarios where I don't mind a minraise on the flop.

This didn't even cross my mind. I wish it did. Another mistake.
    Wetts1012 wrote: »
    It depends on how much personal value you put into the extra $330.

However HM stated he was concerned that the cripple was still in. Which makes it a little bit of a weaker spot to protect your position.

The $330 meant very little.

Not concerned that he was still there but aware that he was exploitable playing behind me. Just wanted to be live after the hand.
  • The $330 meant very little. Not concerned that he was still there but aware that he was exploitable playing behind me.

You flop a flush/gut-shot combo draw and you are worried about the short stack, and $330 means very little to you? Make up your mind already.
    Just wanted to be live after the hand.

then you should have folded pre-flop.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »

then you should have folded pre-flop.

Quite possibly.

As I played it most assuredly.

The exciting conclusion.

River is 2s.

Villian tanks and checks.

Your next move is?
  • Have not read the threads, but I would probaly have shoved into his C-bet with that flop. But, what the hell do I know about poker, anyway
  • I guess a couple of questions come to mind.

Was villian c-betting everything under the sun? How was he playing his big hands - fast or slow?

I just really find it hard for villian not to build a pot if he has made a tight anywhere in this hand especially if you are betting for him. I mean if I was repping a fullhouse and I see you lead out on the turn I am check raising the crap out of you all day because technically at that point its for the tournament.

It looks as though the two scenarios play out:

1. Villian has AX and gets lucky on the river but then again for him to check the river makes no sense at all because he is not getting a bet out of a worse hand especially when you lead the turn and he flats.

2. Villian had some sort of pair and because you didn't re-raise pre he doesn't give you credit for AX because most people would be re-popping with AX or any PP especially that deep 3 handed. So it looks like a jedi mind game here and there is no way he can bet the river because if you shove on him he can't call and he wants a cheap showdown hoping you missed.

As played I ship the turn with a fist pump :) And then leave in 3rd place if he actually was playing AX....
  • Fold preflop.

4 high sucks. You need to hit 2 pair or a big draw to feel good about it. Better off playing hands that give you a better edge like 89 etc.

With 15000+ ante in the pot including his bet, and you have about 45000, Shove the flop. You don't have enough chips or a made hand to make cutsie plays. That being said, GSSFD I bring to war. If he flopped a boat good for him, otherwise we're not in bad shape. Villian will likely call with trip Aces or MAYBE a pp, in which we're drawing very live. However, most of the time villian will fold in this spot as he has no idea where we stand.

The main reason I say shove is because we need to see 2 streets of cards and as much money as possible in the pot with +EV results. This is the trouble with 34s. How much better of a flop do you really want to see?

So against the top of his range, against a flopped boat we're drawing to a 1 outter , 4% chance
    Against anything else that can call us we've got 12 outs which should be the effective nuts, giving us a 45+% chance. Combine that with the pot odds, it makes the shove profitable
    Your FE comes from hands that are slightly ahead of us like KQ, 88 etc. a Higher FD (which crushes us but I can't imagine Villian calling off 80% of his stack to chase it, as he has to put you on something)

After I turn the straight I just shove and pray he calls with a trips of 2 pair. An over bet shove is usually a "please don't call me" bet, hopefully he'll think so and snap you off. Then id throw my lap top out the window on the river.

Since you got to the river with chips, I'd just check it back. A boat isn't folding, and 2 pair isn't calling. Just check and see what he raised with.
  • Quite possibly.

As I played it most assuredly.

The exciting conclusion.

River is 2s.

Villian tanks and checks.

Your next move is?

Tricky. I check behind.

At this point youre only getting called by hands that beat you. I dont think you get paid off putting in a small V bet here.

Showdown value, ftw.

• 1. Villian has AX and gets lucky on the river but then again for him to check the river makes no sense at all because he is not getting a bet out of a worse hand especially when you lead the turn and he flats.

With the line as played:

I check the river if Im the villain with an A here. If I lead Im pretty much playing faceup. Im hoping for HM to spaz into me.

I just dont think if you lead there anything but a chop calls (maybe an occasional random deuce).
    With the line as played:

I check the river if Im the villain with an A here. If I lead Im pretty much playing faceup. Im hoping for HM to spaz into me.

I just dont think if you lead there anything but a chop calls (maybe an occasional random deuce).

From a meta game perspective I do not think you are going to get anyone spazzing in this spot unless they have the nuts. 3 handed with both big stacks going at each other. If that was the case there would have been spazz on the turn not the river, unless both players are equally afraid of one another and can not access a proper hand range which sorta seems the case here based on action.
  • I agree with wetts to check to river if I'm villian. I've slowplayed trips this far no point in all of a sudden showing strength. Mind as well check and induce a bluff.
  • When we last left our Hero he was agonizing over how badly he played this hand from start to finish and yet still had a good chance to take it down.

When he checked the river my heart screamed bet value and hope he has a overpair to the fives he might like. I was all ready to throw 15K in when I felt the chill of the thought of 5's. Then I actually settled on him having 52 and checking 2 pair on the turn because of the aces. This was without a doubt the worst played hand of the day for me but I checked and lost to J2o.

Couldn't get him to tell me if he would have folded to a value bet on the river. If you're holding that do you call?
  • he calls all day obv.
    he calls all day obv.

+1

yup not only do i see guys call a paired deuce down but ive been hammered so many times with a deuce on the river its become a very scary card for me. so much that i bet the turn hard very often purely in fear of the other guy completing his set up twos. for me i would have pushed the straight i think even if he didn't have an ace. may not be the best play but i can't get the suckouts out of my head.
    Tricky. I check behind.

At this point youre only getting called by hands that beat you. I dont think you get paid off putting in a small V bet here.

Showdown value, ftw.

+1, couldn't have said it better. Did you mean A2o? This hand really wouldn't have played out any differently if you pushed on the flop or turn. 3 handed, not many players are folding trip Aces with a 2 kicker on that flop. Just an unlucky 3 outer on the river.
  • J2o as posted.

He folds to a shove on the flop and most likely turn as well. I let him get there on the river because I got greedy with a chance to make big money with the turn. As I said it was badly played all around.

The more I think about it I like actyper's min raise suggestion on the flop bet. Definitely sets up a chance at the shove call on the turn.
  • J2o as posted.

Yes, I need to read. Runna, runna, chicken dinna.
  • J2o as posted.

He folds to a shove on the flop and most likely turn as well. I let him get there on the river because I got greedy with a chance to make big money with the turn. As I said it was badly played all around.

The more I think about it I like actyper's min raise suggestion on the flop bet. Definitely sets up a chance at the shove call on the turn.

Yeah that makes sense if you are able to recognize villian is not playing AX fast. He can't call any shoves on the turn with his hand (even if you assign him a range of a mid PP), there are just too many things at this point in the tournament that a player is thinking about to call him to call off light.
  • When we last left our Hero he was agonizing over how badly he played this hand from start to finish and yet still had a good chance to take it down.

When he checked the river my heart screamed bet value and hope he has a overpair to the fives he might like. I was all ready to throw 15K in when I felt the chill of the thought of 5's. Then I actually settled on him having 52 and checking 2 pair on the turn because of the aces. This was without a doubt the worst played hand of the day for me but I checked and lost to J2o.

Couldn't get him to tell me if he would have folded to a value bet on the river. If you're holding that do you call?

IF this idiot can float you with bottom pair on that board he's not folding when he improves.