PokerStars Double or Nothing

Anybody else play these sng's? I'm playing one for the first time so I'll update this post with my thoughts on them soon.

Comments

• my buddy has been playing those all night, and done really well.

theres a new triple or nothing 107$ 90 player as well I wanted to play, top 30 triple up and I registered, but no one joined for an hour an a half so I unreggy'd.

seems like a great tourney to me...
  • D&N are actually quite simple but I think more and more people are getting better at them so really you need to double up early and then use a push/fold strategy towards the end to be successful over all.

They are great bankroll builders.
  • Fed, if you want triple or nothing..go to Pacific Poker. Weaker players than stars and they run more regularly
  • I play the PLO double ups all the time. pretty much double up once and sit
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Fed, if you want triple or nothing..go to Pacific Poker. Weaker players than stars and they run more regularly

Ill look into that, thanks.
  • So how are these working out for you scoops?
  • This may be a stupid question, but just trying to understand icm better.....

Would it be easier or harder to calculate icm when everyone is getting the same payout?
  • Walleye wrote: »
    I play the PLO double ups all the time. pretty much double up once and sit

This is a solid path for a 1-3% ROI in them. Maybe. The best regs make a consistent 15% ROI over thousands of these. The lower quality regs make about a 8% ROI, and the dead money guys and the really bad regs pay everyone else long term.

Sharkscope italyrome999 for instance. He is one of the best hard core Omaha DoN regs. An advanced sharkscope DoN only search on me is basically the same thing.

The 15% ROI comes from a lot more than double up and sit :). I do some lengthy blog entries on this oddly enough. You can google Monteroy and blog if you are actually curious (admin can remove that line if it is considered spam, was not meant to be).

NL ones I have to believe the sustainable ROI is considerably lower by now.
  • Monteroy wrote: »
    This is a solid path for a 1-3% ROI in them. Maybe. The best regs make a consistent 15% ROI over thousands of these. The lower quality regs make about a 8% ROI, and the dead money guys and the really bad regs pay everyone else long term.

Sharkscope italyrome999 for instance. He is one of the best hard core Omaha DoN regs. An advanced sharkscope DoN only search on me is basically the same thing.

The 15% ROI comes from a lot more than double up and sit :). I do some lengthy blog entries on this oddly enough. You can google Monteroy and blog if you are actually curious (admin can remove that line if it is considered spam, was not meant to be).

NL ones I have to believe the sustainable ROI is considerably lower by now.

Peering Into the Donk Mind « Collin Moshman – Poker Coaching, Staking, and More

This blog entry is a level, right?
  • Partially, in that much of it is a bit tongue in cheek, but every bit of table talk and hand history that it was based on is completely accurate, and it does show in a way how some of these guys think when the usual reaction is "what the heck was he thinking?" That guy is down about 10k in sit and gos for a reason.

Edit: fixed typos
  • Monteroy wrote: »
    Partially, in that much of it is a bit tongue in cheek, but every bit of table talk and hand history that it was based on is completely accurate, and it does show in a way how some of these guys think when the usual reaction is "what the heck was he thinking?" That guy is down about 10k in sit and gos for a reason.

Edit: fixed typos

You realize his comments are likely in jest, correct?
  • Well, props to him then losing $10,000 in sit and gos over the long term while secretly having a solid grasp of the game while making laughingly bad plays as a cover for that skill.

Not entirely sure of the point of this debate. Sharkscope/OPR/tableratings the guy and if you still think he is that clever instead of just being genuinely bad at poker then we will have to just agree to disagree on this fairly unimportant topic :)
  • Just played these things for a few hours on PS. Quite addictive but at the same time very painful. The tightness is insane...but that's the way it has to be I guess. Tight or all in constantly. Came out up a couple of hundred bucks but I think if I played these all the time it would change the way I played poker and not in a good way. BTW Feb 28th is the last day for these...they are getting rid of the basic version and only offering Fifty50 version....where final chip count matters.
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    Just played these things for a few hours on PS. Quite addictive but at the same time very painful. The tightness is insane...but that's the way it has to be I guess. Tight or all in constantly. Came out up a couple of hundred bucks but I think if I played these all the time it would change the way I played poker and not in a good way. BTW Feb 28th is the last day for these...they are getting rid of the basic version and only offering Fifty50 version....where final chip count matters.

nice one year anniversary bump!

side note: gta's link to moshman's blog just mega upped my game!
  • Yeah I'd just discovered them (haven't played PS much) and did a search....and was kind of surprised not too many seemed to be playing them. The $104's seems like a decent way to make a living if you have the fortitude to put up the the excruciatingly weird play. And as luck would have it they're stopping them tomorrow :-( I'd guess they're discontinuing the basic version as the probability of people getting teams of 5 and cheating / messengering themselves into wins was all too common.
  • I've been playing 5-20 double ups on a site ive been using.

But it says they are getting rid of them on pokerstars
  • Yeah just played in another one which I won.. but man was it tight.. took them forever for the ones at the bottom to play something.
  • Fuck I'm so stupid
  • on such a fucking tilt... fuck sake
  • how old are you?
  • I'm 22.

Sorry for triple post.