So, am I . . .

being a dick?
I went to an information night at my daughter's (eventual) high school. It is the regional arts school and tonight was billed as an information night for parents who's kids want to apply for a spot. This is the run down of what went on.
7:00 p.m. - Evening starts with band playing a song
7:05 p.m. - We all stand for the National Anthem
7:08 p.m. - Greeting from the v.p. followed by the principal
7:10 p.m. - We listen to the choir
7:15 p.m. - Two seniors tell us what a great program it is.
7:17 p.m. - v.p. is back to tell us what five "majors" are available in the program.
7:20 p.m. - We are treated to a dance performance
7:25 p.m. - Two more seniors, like, tell us about . . . like . . . what a great program they have . . . like . . . at the school. Obviously public speaking is not part of the curriculum.
7:30 p.m. - The v.p. is back with the powerpoint screen, and a few more minutes of breaking down the "majors". Still waiting for info. on how to apply for the program.
7:35 p.m. - Another dance routine, this time "modern dance". At least I like Paint It Black.
7:40 p.m. - More from the v.p., this time about the strong emphasis on religion (it's a Catholic school so, duh . . .)
7:45 p.m. - More powerpoint from the v.p., this time breaking down the "major" my daughter wants to try for. Whipped through it too fast to get all the info. however.
7:50 p.m. - We are told - FINALLY - that applications will be available on the school web site Friday.

WTF?!?
Why the fuck couldn't these ignorant pricks just put that in the flyer that got sent home with my daughter.

I want my fucking 50 minutes back you fuckers.

\end rant\

Comments

• Just finished high school, and all I can say is... Don't waste your time with that shit.
    Unfortunately it seems like you already have.
  • For the record, I would gator-crawl naked across a mile of broken glass, and swim laps in a pool of iodine, if it meant my daughter's happiness . . .

but damn, people . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    For the record, I would gator-crawl naked across a mile of broken glass, and swim laps in a pool of iodine, if it meant my daughter's happiness . . .

but damn, people . . .

If it is for your daughter its different story. If its for parent/teacher or parent mandatory shit, than its a waste of time.
  • you learned the hard way..

Remember, no production from students, public schools, teachers/VPs is EVER worthwhile once your kid is old enough to not be cute and enthusiastic at Christmas assemblies anymore.

Next time just call the VP with your questions before hand. Not only do you get concise answers, but you build a rapport..which will come in handy when your kid gets caught smoking in the girls room, or w/e trouble it is that she gets into. (and sorry, but she WILL get into some trouble at some point)
  • :D Kristy, if I was not already married, I'd want you . . . almost as bad as Philli does.

I do not want to think about that sort of thing . . . I have little enough hair left as it is . . .
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »

(and sorry, but she WILL get into some trouble at some point)

It's a Catholic school........so, duh!

What "major" is she looking at? (Don't say dance, don't say dance).

I'd spend more time checking out the qualifications/background of the teachers. There is no bigger disappointment than chasing your dream and trying to learn it from underqualified personal.
  • Geez can I feel the frustration come from you. Could it be that it reminds you of your early dating years? You know... taking a girl out for dinner and possibly a movie.. when all you really wanted was what happened at the end of the date.

Its the same reason I no longer watch basketball. Everything I need to know/see happens during the last 2 minutes. :)
  • It's a Catholic school........so, duh!

What "major" is she looking at? (Don't say dance, don't say dance).

I'd spend more time checking out the qualifications/background of the teachers. There is no bigger disappointment than chasing your dream and trying to learn it from underqualified personal.

Thanks, Mole, that actually made me laugh. And it's Visual Arts. She wants to design video games, or make anime movies. Never should have bought her the Miyazaki DVD's . . . LOL
  • lol rock on Milo, lots of rants coming for the school system so don't think this will be your only one.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Thanks, Mole, that actually made me laugh. And it's Visual Arts. She wants to design video games, or make anime movies. Never should have bought her the Miyazaki DVD's . . . LOL

Hopefully the industry will have changed by the time she's done school, but I just finished (summer 08...) putting my fiancee through, as far as I was told, one of the top programs in the nation for video game design. She finished top in her class, top in her program, top in her school.

And she has yet to find a job.

When the economy tanked, the entire industry realized "oh shit, we've been over staffed for years!" and fired a ton of people along with freezing hiring. It's a ridiculously more difficult industry to find work in than I was led to believe and I am currently paying her $40k student loan.

All that said, if it's what your daughter wants, fucking A, tell her to go for it! No point working at something you don't love. :)
  • I'm a douche, you know it, I know it...I'll try and get this over with as quickly as possible.

Going into video game design, or that music producer program, or even film school, theatre majors etc..is a side product of everything that's wrong with kids today imo..

Maybe your fiancee/daughter/whomever else, really is that 1:1000000 exceptionally talented individual, who can get that job, but 99% of the people in these programs need to be brought back down to earth. Their parents over-emphasized that whole "you're special, you can do anything" shit a little too much..

It feels like we've got two full generations now of people who feel entitled to be rockstars.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I'm a douche, you know it, I know it...I'll try and get this over with as quickly as possible.

Going into video game design, or that music producer program, or even film school, theatre majors etc..is a side product of everything that's wrong with kids today imo..

Maybe your fiancee/daughter/whomever else, really is that 1:1000000 exceptionally talented individual, who can get that job, but 99% of the people in these programs need to be brought back down to earth. Their parents over-emphasized that whole "you're special, you can do anything" shit a little too much..

It feels like we've got two full generations now of people who feel entitled to be rockstars.

Completely, totally agree with you Kristy, 100%. All of the kids in her class (she was 6-8 years older than the rest) were little twits. None of them did any work, figured they'd just get a job by showing up to the program and not giving a crap. Needless to say, none of them are working in the industry and several of them are on my "Brake Fixing" list.
  • My daughter is definitely not one of the "you can be whatever you want to be," types. She has a very strong interest in art, and currently wants to channel that into video game design. Whether she will continue down that path remains to be seen. I prefer to allow her to explore her avenue of greatest interest because, I believe, she will find something along the way which will become her passion. A person never strives so hard as when they are trying to achieve their true desire. I believe that my daughter's true desire can best be revealed by allowing her to explore the many avenues of her passion (art). She may not find what she wants along this particular path, but she will at least have had the opportunity to try. And if she finds her happiness in another passion that comes along somewhere along the way, that is fine too.
  • which is a nice sentiment Milo..but what if this freedom leads her to the aforementioned 40k in debt and jobless road?

Not a snarky rhetorical question for its own sake..I'm being sincere imo.
  • What I was getting at, or trying to, is that this is her passion today. A little over a year ago, acting in plays was the thing for her. I expect that, somewhere along this path she is starting down, she will find something that takes her in a slightly different direction, or she will realize that her dreams lie elsewhere, etc. When I was her age my career goal was Playboy photographer. I am not working for Hef today. I do not want her to be like my wife, and wonder what if? My wife's artistic abilities went unexplored, and I think she regrets that a lot. I will not let my daughter make that mistake. If it costs 40k, what the hell is $$$ except a tool we use to fulfill our desires, anyway?

And, for the record, I don't consider anything you've posted in this thread to be snarky, or douche-y . . .

What the fuck happened to you?
  • Video Game Design sounds like a perfectly fine career path since it combines creativity with technical know-how. The game industry is going to keep growing and growing and growing and there's tons of opportunities for independents to get in there.

If the game part doesn't work out, she can scale down into one of the five billion trillion IT jobs that are out there. All those skills will translate well.
  • And she has yet to find a job.

She should think about creating the game design and then working with an indian outsourcing firm to get the job done. Then think about selling it in the iphone app store.

Today's world isn't about going out and being an employee.. it's about going out and becoming an employer.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Video Game Design sounds like a perfectly fine career path since it combines creativity with technical know-how. The game industry is going to keep growing and growing and growing and there's tons of opportunities for independents to get in there.

If the game part doesn't work out, she can scale down into one of the five billion trillion IT jobs that are out there. All those skills will translate well.

Oh God, not again . . . am I destined to turn into BBC Z? :D
  • My wife and I are both engineers and have a mathematical background. We have RESP’s started for our kids. She has stated that she would strongly discourage the kids going to university unless it was for a professional program or if they REALLY had a focus on how that arts degree was going to get them where they wanted to be. Her concern is that an arts degree is just the first step of 2 or 3 more to a decent job.

I don’t think that it’s going to be a problem if the kids inherit my artistic abilities. My 5 year old asked me to draw a castle for her to colour and she started crying saying it wasn’t good enough.
  • I don't think the "artsy" side of the equation will be an issue. My wife is pretty talented, and my daughter is already on a par with what she was producing in high school (daughter is in Gr. eight) . She'll be going to post secondary education, but whether that is university, college, or a professional program of some sort remains to be seen.

As long as she's not living at home when she's 30, I'll be happy . . . I think.