Maybe I should have just called.... Probably not.

MTT- 400/800 with ante.
UTG big stack - makes it $2000
UTG +1 Short stack allin for just over $6000 with :qs:js
fold
fold
Me- second stack all in for 45,000 (trying to isolate):ks:kc

UTG calls with :ac:10d

Flop :2s:6s:8s
Not too upset cause i should win a big side pot.

Turn:10h
River:10c

Should I have smooth called the all bet and pushed on the flop with no ace? I probably would not have gotten called by utg. If the UTG re raises Allin I would probably have called any ways. Or is it better to try and isolate as soon as you can.

Please let me know.

Comments

• i have the same question against with KK.....i was button he was big blind and the sb was the short stack. Had a similar situation, but i don't know if its a good idea. you need to list how many people left and the payouts though i think.
  • There were 112 out of 500. Top prize was 3000 and they paid 90. I did the odds at I should have been about 55% to win. The original raises raised a lot of hands and I think that I wanted him in there. Is this just another case of "thats poker" or did I play it bad?
  • bubbajim98 wrote: »
    There were 112 out of 500. Top prize was 3000 and they paid 90. I did the odds at I should have been about 55% to win. The original raises raised a lot of hands and I think that I wanted him in there. Is this just another case of "thats poker" or did I play it bad?

55%? To win the hand?

I don't think this is true, unless im mistaken on what you are saying, or just don't understand this game yet. Because you don't know the other two hands, to get the 'odds' you have to put them on ranges and do it against their ranges. it is possible you were even better than that maybe worse.

And the number of people and payouts don't matter, don't know where i was going with that. you have enough to small ball this but i think its clear you were getting raised all in either way. Shoving add fold equity and is probably better but i think someone could do the math on all this. I do wonder how many times a person would incorrectly lay down kings to a bet on the flop if an ace hits....

Whats the percentage an ace will hit...and what are the chances he'll make a big bet on it, close to 100% if he has an ace? plus a few times as bluffs. Show your work please.....;)
  • I did the math after the cards were turned up. I used an online poker odds calculator and I think it has been pretty accurate when I have used it before. The only hand that I am a huge dog to is AA.
  • That is the right play to isolate. What if big stack had, lets say J10s and flop comes out 89 with a flush draw or two pairs him or something. Big stack may take liberty to play this hand. Push with your best hand, how can it be a bad move?
  • I thought that the isolate was the right move. I would have folded the A10 if it was me. I am new to this great game, thanks.
  • bubbajim98 wrote: »
    I did the math after the cards were turned up. I used an online poker odds calculator and I think it has been pretty accurate when I have used it before. The only hand that I am a huge dog to is AA.

you have to understand that you can't run the math on your hands after they are turned up, it helps you understand why you lost (bad beat this time) but doesn't help you make your decision, because you never know what he has before the showdown. what you want is to run KK vs the range of hands you think he will call and go with that, this is a different skill im adding these days....either way your play is correct. you didn't need to run the math to know kk is only a dog to ace ace though right?