Je me souviens

Why do you wear a poppy? It is Remembrance Week, so I thought I'd share . . .

I wear one because, in 1917, Canadians fought under their own flag for the very first time. They accomplished in hours what the British and French forces could not do in the preceding months. They assaulted, captured, and held, Vimy Ridge. This marked the turning point of battle on the Western Front in WW1. It was a remarkable display of soldiering, and introduced a new term to the military lexicon - stormtrooper.

I wear a poppy because, in the winter of 1944/45, Canadian Forces not only liberated Holland, they prevented the mass starvation of it's people. Retreating Axis armies destroyed farmland, took livestock, left nothing for the Dutch to eat during one of the coldest winters of the 20th century. Canadian soldiers shared their rations, heating oil, coal, literally everything needed to sustain life from their own supplies, and the Dutch lived. So grateful were the citizens of Holland that, to this day, it is part of the school curriculum that every Dutch child not only learn of this sacrifice, but that they tend to the many Canadian Military grave sites that dot the countryside. My parents were among those who learned first-hand what Candian troops were capable of.

Since 1950 Canadian troops have supported United Nations efforts to stop wars, and to promote the cause of peace throughout the world. On almost every continent on this planet, Canadians have stood in harms way to support this noble goal. They have been peace keepers when needed, and peacemakers when necessary.

I wear a poppy to support friends who have gone off to faraway lands to fight for our great country, and to remember their friends who did not come home. I have always believed that those who benefit from the good that a society has to offer have an obligation to "give something back" to that society in some form. I was privileged to wear the uniform, as a member of the Primary Reserve Force, for a number of years. I wear the poppy as a tribute to those who still serve with honour and distinction.

So, why do you wear one?

Comments

• X100.
    I also wear the poppy for my good buddy Sgt Shawn Eaves killed in action August 08 and for everyone else KIA in Kandahar... they are all my comrades in arms.....