Raptors 09/10

Watching the moves in the off season, I was mildly excited and kicked the idea of splitting season's tickets with a few friends. Well we decided against it but now I'm suffering from reverse buyers remorse.

I like this team.

They are much more athletic, quick and fearless than last years disappointment and despite attempts by the media to temper expectations I expect big things. I know it's one game but I have noticed a few things that make me happy.

First Bargnani looks like he got a confidence infusion over the off season. I've never seen him so aggressive in the paint and around the basket. With his deadly outside shot he will create problems for every other big man that tries to cover him.

Turkoglu is just that.....glue. He holds all that is good there together. Ultimate wily veteran at 30 years old.

Derozan/Belinelli/Wright make past Raptor 2's and 3's look like pylons. If they can accept sharing their roles they will have opponents pulling their hair out all season with their quickness and athleticism.

I'm not 100% sold on the Calderon/Jack tandem at PG just because they have had issues in the past in sharing the position. If they can both accept their not 40+ minute players they will be fine.

Now the big issue is getting Bosh to step it up to another level. If he plays like he's in a contract year (and he is) the ceiling is very high for this team. Perhaps the reason I'm most confident is that this team is much better suited to compete without him if necessary. Much deeper, athletic and skilled than we've seen in a while.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Where do I put my chair for the parade?

Seriously, though, that is a concise summation. I think they make the play-offs this year. do they make a long play-off run? idk . . .

But it will be entertaining, and that is all I care about right now.
  • I said before the season that Bargnani would be the most improved player in the league this year. He looks like hes bulked up significantly over the summer.

Derozan looks like hes about 12 years old out there, but the kid can play.

I think this is the probably one of the best teams the raptors have put together - that said, playoffs are definately not a lock in a conference that got alot stronger in the offseason.
  • Not to rain on anyone's parade and I don't really follow basketball, but aren't Toronto teams notorious for starting a season off really well then falling apart as the season goes on. Didn't the raptors do that last season and the jays also? I think it may be too soon to come to a conclusion about how the whole season will go just yet.
  • Difference is depth this year, we don't have to play our starters 40+mins.
  • I absolutely agree that the depth on the team is the biggest improvement in this year's roster over last year. I am cautiously optimistic after the first regular season game. I can't believe that Belinni will be as big a factor in many future games, but the Raptors won't need to rely on his production in the long run. Bargnani looked great in the opener, but he has looked good in season opening games before. However, I do believe that he is physically more prepared this season, and he has played very well with Triano as head coach. Wasn't it ironic that Calderon (my absolute favourite Raptor) missed his first two free throws after breaking the free throw percentage record during last season. I love Bosh's rebounding, but it is becoming more and more obvious to me that he is not a clutch player. He did get robbed on a call late in the 4th where he earned the charge and got called for the block. But he rarely breaks down defenders one-on-one. He drives right into the defender or double-team when he is looking to score with the game on the line. The good news is that if Bargnani keeps developing and with Turkoglu on the floor along with Calderon, I think they have some options in clutch offensive situations.

I really hope the team makes the playoffs and I think they have a chance to win a round if they keep developing. Their success is going to be a reflection of the coach's ability. Triano still has to prove that he is a capable NBA head coach. I was shocked that he got this chance after the way the transition when he took over last year. But again I am hopeful.

P.S. It was great to see Alvin Williams (my second favourite Raptor) on the bench as an assistant coach.

P.P.S. DeRozan's reverse dunk (after a foul call - so it didn't count) was spectacular. He is going to be fun to watch this season.
  • the 1st game was great! I too hope they make the playoffs but will have to see how they do.

p.s. wow a chick likes basketball, waltsfriend cough cough:)