Generation Kill

Has anyone seen this show? Its a cool mini-series about the American Army in the Iraq War. If you like war movies or shows, you should definitely check it out:

Brief description: ""Generation Kill" is a television miniseries seen on HBO and is based on Evan Wright's book about his experiences as an embedded reporter with the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion during the Iraq war's first phase in 2003."

Official Site: Restricted Content - HBO Canada

You can watch it online here: SurfTheChannel - Generation Kill

Comments

• Watched it the last two weeks. They do a fantastic job of displaying the complete 180 degree shifts that can occur. One minute, rolling along in your Hummer, the next minute all hell has broken loose around you, the next minute you are dumping adrenaline and telling stories . . .

The show is definitely the most realistic portrayal I have seen on TV to date of soldiers in the field. Wonder what Canadian Vet0506 thinks.

I will probably buy this on DVD when it comes out.
  • Been out on dvd for a while now I believe.

I heard its kinda boring though, is it?
  • It can take a while to get into the action at times, but I think they are going for a more realistic view of what day to day life is like in the war. I don't really find it that boring, but if you are expecting non-stop shooting then you might get bored.
  • You are right. I did not realize this was a 2008 production. Must go shopping.

As for boring, there are lulls in the action, but that is indicative of life as a soldier. Like the old maxim states: War is hour after hour of utter boredom, interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

In short, it's a feature, not a bug.
  • I'll have to check this out.

On a side note, Steven's Speilbergs next 10 part mini series, "The Pacific" will air in 2010!

YouTube - The Pacific Trailer (HBO)
  • If that is anywhere close to being as good as Band of Brothers it will be amazing. Thanks, Johnnie.
  • Band of brothers was one of the best war mini series ever put on tv/dvd. My gf hasn't been able to agree to watch the last two episodes for the past month. I think she knows what's going to happen and can't bare it. It's pretty troubling. Anyhoo, haven't heard of The Pacific.

I'll have to do some researching..
  • Definitely looking forward to The Pacific. Was a huge fan of Band of Brothers so they should deliver another amazing show.
  • Milo wrote: »
    The show is definitely the most realistic portrayal I have seen on TV to date of soldiers in the field. Wonder what Canadian Vet0506 thinks.

The series is pretty good, and you're right...war is 98% boredom, 2% terror. My favourite series is still Band of Brothers though......
  • Thanks for chiming in. and, given the time of year, thanks again for your service. If you are by any chance going to the poker expo, the first round is on me.
  • BRAG: I met the REAL Bill Gaurnere and Ed 'Babe' Hefferon from BoB

n684420323_554302_4142.jpg
  • Well, if we're going to brag, I have had the pleasure of a brief chat with HRH the Duke of Kent, and the homour of standing a round of drinks with Smokey Smith, VC. Both occurred during the 125th anniversary celebrations of my Reserve Regiment.

Regardless, CdnVet0506, the offer still stands.
  • Milo wrote: »
    If you are by any chance going to the poker expo, the first round is on me.
    Unfortunately cannot make it out to the Expo, will take a Raincheque:)