Unannounced drop ins?

Just wondering what people think about the root cause of this behaviour? Is it a generational thing? Is it a population based thing (i.e.small town vs. big city)?

Recently I've had my second customer drop by my house on a Sunday morning (this morning being the second occurance) to discuss painting work. Both times they've had access to my cel phone number and home number. This morning was about exterior painting for next year! It's SIX months away! Wouldn't a simple phone call have been sufficient?

I want the work. Not a question of that whatsoever. I'm loafing about in my jammies! I'm still drinking coffee! I'm not working today! I'm not even thinking about work today! I'm still surfing around looking at stuff about Lou Albano from the thread on PFC! Then the doorbell rings!

GF said I should start showing up at the door wearing leather chaps, nipple clamps, leather gimp mask, etc.

We've come to the conclusion that perhaps it's a generational thing.

Any opinions (not RE: nipple clamps, leather chaps, etc.), but moreso abou the act of showing up at someones door unannounced? Once I shood them away politely, my GF and I just stood there staring at each other in shock/amazement.

I can sort of laugh about it now, but accepting it as my lot in life to deal with in the future is a hard situation to look forward to.

Discuss..

Comments

• I live in a secure apt. to which I've disabled the buzzer. The only way to 'drop in' on me is to throw rocks at my window...so I'm clearly biased.

But..I HATE THIS!

The only question would be: "why do clients know your home address?"

Maybe there's a clean presentable way to work office hours onto w/e it is that they're getting your phone numbers and address off of? (I don't know how that would work on a card, but def. could be added to other advertisements) Or post office hours neatly by the door?

Lastly, you can buy very tidy and presentable looking security cameras for about $30 these days. I thought it was weird at first, but after having one at my last home- I'm never going back to having to go to the door and see. It will be the first thing I install when I buy another house.

Sub-Question:

If someone manages to get past my security door and no-buzzer to knock..I don't answer the door unless I'm properly attired and feel like receiving company. I had a huge debate on that recently. A couple of my friends insisted that this was odd.

Thoughts?
  • +1, and I am (almost) a generation older than Kristy. I HATE friends just "dropping by". Hell, I hate my brother and his 90 minutes of "I've got to get going". How hard is it to call first, even if you are in the freaking car already?

When the wife and I move out of the GTA, friends and family better fucking call first, or we may not be home, regardless of how many cars are in the driveway. The only exception to that policy will be parents.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I live in a secure apt. to which I've disabled the buzzer. The only way to 'drop in' on me is to throw rocks at my window...so I'm clearly biased.

But..I HATE THIS!

The only question would be: "why do clients know your home address?"

Maybe there's a clean presentable way to work office hours onto w/e it is that they're getting your phone numbers and address off of? (I don't know how that would work on a card, but def. could be added to other advertisements) Or post office hours neatly by the door?

Lastly, you can buy very tidy and presentable looking security cameras for about $30 these days. I thought it was weird at first, but after having one at my last home- I'm never going back to having to go to the door and see. It will be the first thing I install when I buy another house.

Sub-Question:

If someone manages to get past my security door and no-buzzer to knock..I don't answer the door unless I'm properly attired and feel like receiving company. I had a huge debate on that recently. A couple of my friends insisted that this was odd.

Thoughts?

People know my home address because I live in a small town (6K population) and word travels quick/people see you around/etc. Within a month of moving here, we'd meet people on the street blocks from home walking the dog and people would say "Oh, you're the folks who moved here from Vancouver". It was tough moving from big city anonymity to small town lack thereof. On top of that, you tell anyone you bought a house...They ask "whereabouts?". You answer "on ... street". They say, "Oh, the blue one. I know exactly where you live."

Anyhoo, I think we'll have to live with this. It just seems to be the way things happen around here. A security camera would bring on enough chatter around the neighbourhood, they'd think we were terrorists or something.
  • And that is bad . . . why?
  • Ha! Point taken. That would keep them from the front door! Thanks again Milo.