How do you feel?

I submit to you my favourite artist with a new song. Listen to the words and tell me what you think and feel.

YouTube - Regina Spektor- Laughing With (Official Music Video)

Comments

• WTF??

Teh lamez

Mark
  • She's one of my favourites too! The Fidelity video gave me goosebumps for ages, and The ghost of corporate future is so amazing.

This song: Umm, I feel like she's just as talented for putting together a quirky interesting song as ever, but I feel like she missed the emotional mark that she has hit with others.
  • op haz lezbeen
  • Ok, maybe I shouldn't have posted in such a hurry last night but I was a bit dazed and confused. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of said artist, video or my taste in music. I am looking for insight into this song.

Background...

Growing up from the age of 6 to about 18 my best friend was a girl almost 2 years older than me. We did everything together. I spent more time with her than any of my male friends and even my own sister. Basically I'm quite comfortable in saying she was my "soulmate" (yeah I know, gay, again couldn't care less).

Well Friday night I get a phone call from her after not speaking with her for almost 2 years (she now lives in Western Michigan). Bad news, she has developed a malicious cancer just recently and doesn't expect to live past the end of the year. Despite not being in touch with her with any regularity for the past 10 years or so, I am devastated. We talked for hours and shed many tears as she told me about her young family that I haven't even met.

Long story short, she sent out a mass mailing to friends later that included this video. Despite my love for Spektor I had not yet heard this song or her newest album. What I couldn't figure out is that I never knew this girl to be religious...in fact I would have said that she wasn't. So I was trying to figure if I was misinterpreting the song, or she did, or whether her views on religion had changed.

Obv I found the song quite touching at the time with the news that was delivered with it. Not my favourite of hers but I haven't found a song that she sings that I didn't like. And if that makes me bull dyke so be it.
  • HM wrote:
    So I was trying to figure if I was misinterpreting the song, or she did, or whether her views on religion had changed.

I'm truly sorry for your friend, her family and you.

I think even the vaguest agnosticism earns a face and name at the end. Dwelling on which one or the 'if' doesn't really matter so much as making your peace with death. I wouldn't presume that she'd changed that much. Just that she'd rather not stare down a black hole, when her remaining time could be put to different use.
  • Thanks Kristy.

I actually just got back from a day trip down to be with her (probably for the last time.....it still seems crazy). I still felt comfortable enough to ask her about the choosing of the song. Her explanation is there was no deep meaning to it, it just struck a chord with her right now. Obv she wishes a greater power can come down and release her from the awful disease but as she said "I'm not going to waste the time I have holding my breath". She is a phenomenal person.
  • Mole, I am sorry for your impending loss. I am equally gladdened, if that is a word, by the fact that you were able to see her again. I think the song is literal and, based on your latest post, I guess it is. Faith is a deeply personal thing, even if it is the lack of religion that you believe in, if you follow me . . .

I think the last line of the song is most telling, maybe for you, but probably for your friend as well.

I hope that, when the time comes, you are able to take comfort in having a friend of such depth and meaning to you, that the sorrow of her loss is tempered by the memories the two of you cherished as kids.

Take care
  • I cannot imagine the pain you're feeling right now. I've yet to lose anyone close to me (knock on wood). It is tremendous that you were able to see her again at least one more time. Who knows, you may be able to get more time in the near future for another trip. I do understand your feelings when it comes to being disconnected from people that much a part of you and finally getting back in touch. It feels like no time has passed and you can't believe how long it has actually been.
  • Sorry to hear about your friend Chris. When I hear stories like this, it always makes me realize how trivial my problems are. Who really cares about the unlucky hand in cards or the missed short putt when other people have real difficulties. My main fear in life is either my wife of daughter passing on before myself. Not sure how I would survive that. Hopefully your friend has some miracle remission or at least has a peaceful year. My thoughts and prayers go out to her, her family and her friends.