Ontario Poker League Tournament #5 This Sunday

Ontario Poker League Season 5 Tournament #5

Sunday October 18th, 2009
Tournament starts at 11:30am; doors open at 11:00am

Belwood Community Hall
George St
Belwood, ON

Buy-In: $100 (all of which goes to the prize pool)
Starting Chips: 4500

Players have the option to pay $15 to go toward paying for the food, hall, tables, chips, cards, website, etc. (paying this money is NOT mandatory)
We will have a caterer supply food for this event

With 4500 starting chips, the Patience Factor increases to 17.24, with a Blind-Off rate at 4.15 hours.

Prize Pool: Top 10% (minimum 5 and maximum 10 players paid)
Blind Levels: 40 minutes and follows WSOP format for intermediate tournaments

WSOP Blinds Schedule
This tournament will probably take 9-10 hours to complete
Check the "files" pages on the site for further details on rules, blinds, etc.

The Organizer has made this Meetup Group private - Ontario Poker League (Belwood, ON) - Meetup.com

Comments

• What's the minimum # players for this to run Curtis?
  • Someone mentioned 20 to me

Milton Slim
    I'll be the one in the Romanian Hockey Jersey.
    If I can find it I will wear it. I traded my jersey (had 2 extras made before I left) with a player from a French team, and that is what he gave me, because his was brand new with more ads on it than the Toronto Sun.
    they had phone numbers on the socks

Milton Slim
  • Only 12 on the website so far?

Will be there if its running.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Only 12 on the website so far?

Will be there if its running.

Are you dyslexic? I see 21.

I'm still on the fence. Sun means golf. High of 7 means still on the fence.
  • idk mang.

Edited for idiocy.

Either way Im sure Curtis will send the email updates if it is a go.
  • Idiot Not Dyslexic.

Im looking at the next one.
    idk mang.

Im looking at the meetup site now and it states 12 YES and 2 mabeee.

Either way Im sure Curtis will send the email updates if it is a go.

You're looking at next weeks, this Sunday says 21 at the moment. Wonder how we got 90+ and 60+ for the 1st two, and now it's dropped so far?
  • compuease wrote: »
    You're looking at next weeks, this Sunday says 21 at the moment. Wonder how we got 90+ and 60+ for the 1st two, and now it's dropped so far?

Yea got it. Maybe I should be playing for the Rocks?

I think everyone anticipated the quick decline when:

1) The venue was moved
    2) The decision to run more frequently was made.
    Wonder how we got 90+ for the 1st and now it's dropped so far?

+1

The first was excellent. I have contributed to the fall in attendance.....by 1. Although I'm sure if the players I played against at the first one knew I was coming back they'd sign up quick.
  • Are you dyslexic? I see 21.

I'm still on the fence. Sun means golf. High of 7 means still on the fence.

I have a golf tournament on Saturday, I will need Sunday to thaw!!

Poker this Weekend, Warm next weekend Golf Saturday, Poker Sunday

All fixed!!

Milton Slim
    I think everyone anticipated the quick decline when:

[ ] 1) The venue was moved That happened before the 1st tourney.
    [X] 2) The decision to run more frequently was made. This may be it, especially combined with the increase in buyin.
    Yea got it. Maybe I should be playing for the Rocks?

Me thinks thou beist TOO YOUNGST!!

Milton Slim
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    me thinks thou beist too inexperienced!!

Milton slim
    fyp
  • Officially not in.

Take it down CPFer's.

I'm in in the near future.
  • Officially not in.

Take it down CPFer's.

I'm in in the near future.
    I just read your other post re your friend and I can certainly understand... The best to her and her family, and to you at a time like this... Makes poker seem very insignificant...
  • Is today's tournament still on?
  • Sirus wrote: »
    Is today's tournament still on?
    As far as I know.. myself and at least 2 others from Milton are heading up.
    As far as I know.. myself and at least 2 others from Milton are heading up.

Not enough people coming out to the tournament for my liking. I'll pass on this one but will come out to a few in the future.
  • Just back from this, chopped it 4 ways for $585. 28 started, still 2 tables of 1/2 action going when I left. Steve from here in Milton was one of the 4 of us who chopped. We were all pretty close and avg M was only about 6.
  • The lower turn-out is a result of higher frequency of tournaments?
  • jacktenoff wrote: »
    The lower turn-out is a result of higher frequency of tournaments?
    That's exactly what we were talking about yesterday plus the increased cost. I know one of the things being considered is having a $100 event one Sunday then a $50 the next and so on. plus the $15. optional for 1k chips which covers the hall and food.
    That's exactly what we were talking about yesterday plus the increased cost. I know one of the things being considered is having a $100 event one Sunday then a $50 the next and so on. plus the $15. optional for 1k chips which covers the hall and food.

I honestly doubt $50 is the primary reason why less players are showing up. Maybe the location could have something to do with the smaller turn-outs also?

Also, making it an 'EVENT' again, one tourney ever 3 weeks like last year would be great and might be the way to go to return this tournament back to the 100 player level?

I remember a tuesday night tourney in toronto from a few years back run by Azeem (a great TD, sorry if I spelled his name incorrectly). $200 with a $100 add on option. The thing was getting 100 + players every tuesday night for about 2 or 3 months straight and then around Christmas, the organizers announced "no tournament for the month of january". Naturally, this killed it. Never exceeded 50ish again.

Could we be seeing the same thing and people have found something new to do with their poker dollars?

I am just throwing thoughts out there. I played several of the opt last year and thought the set up was great, especially the blind length. Adding a buffet only makes it better.

Probably just early season jitters and we'll see a bigger turn-out soon enough....
  • Here are the results for the 5th event of the season from a field of 28 players. The whole event took 10 hours and 15 minutes, despite the four-way chop at the final table.

1. Steve Howchin (chop) 9.7424 pts $585
    2. Brett Goodall (chop) 9.7424 pts $585
    3. Jeff Cookson (chop) 9.7424 pts $585
    4. Joe McCarthy (chop) 9.7424 pts $585
    5. Darrin Davidson 5.0910 pts $200.

If you want to see how the points are calculated please go to:

http://www.tourney.co...clear.gif

The player with the highest points at the end of the season will win the Player of the Year award

See you all at the next event scheduled for October 25th at Belwood

Please sign up at:

Ontario Poker League (Belwood, ON) - Meetup.com

We've also added a poll under "polls" to see if changes are needed to bring out more attendees. Cast your vote.

• With attendance dropping at our league tournaments, (which historically happens this time of year every season) there was much discussion at these events of ways in which to attract more players to attend. Many have said that alternating the buy-in every 2nd event to $50 buy-in might help bring out more casual players. We are committed by contract to the hall to holding the events weekly anyway, and to the caterer, so the option remains for players to pay the $15 at each tournament for a great buffet. We would like feedback from other members to see if this new change may bring out more players. Also, the $50 buy-in event, should we proceed with that idea, will have the same starting chips and blinds structure, but have 30-minute levels instead of 40 minutes. Please bear in mind that players who travel a greater distance make the trip because of the larger prize pools. Sometimes larger buy-ins, with a good structure, will attract more serious players from farther distances drawn to the huge prize pool.

Serious players will have a bankroll to attend $100 tournaments every week anyway, but when we changed it to $100, we lost some of the casual players that may not be able to fork over $400 a month ($800 a month if its a couple) for their "entertainment" of playing poker. We've put out some different buy-in strucures on the poll to see what the players think.

Please check out the poll and vote at:

The Organizer has made this Meetup Group private - Ontario Poker League (Belwood, ON) - Meetup.com