Fantasy team

Mole's thread got me thinking. Name your all-time starting line-up. You can only choose from player in the NHL after you were born. Here is mine:

G - Martin Brodeur
D - Bobby Orr
D - Denis Potvin
F - Wayne Gretzky
F - Steve Yzerman
F - Bobby Hull

Yeah, you'd have to jockey the forward line a little, but can you imagine Gretzky feathering a pass to Hull for a slap shot? The goalie would crap himself.

Comments

• Quality starting line you have there Milo. Only change I would make is the goalie.

I would be putting in that Russian Son-of-a-bitch whatshisname (edit; Tretiak!) from the '72 series. My father never swore so much in his LIFE as he did watching that bastard in net.
  • Brodeur was better for longer. Back-up would be Jacques Plante. Have to go with a guy whose nickname is "Jake the Snake".
  • Easy, didn't even have to think very long on any of these.

G - Tretiak (Roy a very close second)
    D - Orr
    D - Coffey
    F - Lemieux
    F - Gretzky
    F - Lafleur
  • You guys are old! (FTL)

F-Gretzky
    F-Lemieux
    F-Bossy

D-Bourque
    D-Lidstrom

G-Brodeur

Honourable mentions go to:

Yzerman, LaFontaine (stay healthy 1 time), Jagr, Potvin, Coffey, Francis, Sakic, Dionne, Trottier.

Darkhorse: John Kordic.
  • Christ Darryl, if you're going to shill for a goon, at least pick one who could play. Terry O'Reilly, for instance.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Christ Darryl, if you're going to shill for a goon, at least pick one who could play. Terry O'Reilly, for instance.

If he was no good why trade him straight up for Russ Courtnall?

Kordic died before he could hit his prime in the offensive categories.

imo.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

imo.

I love the way you think.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

imo.

Because Brophy rode the same bus to school as Ballard's dog?

NEw thread coming . . .
  • Wasn't Ballard's dog that rode the short bus...it was Ballard.
    Because Brophy rode the same bus to school as Ballard's dog?

NEw thread coming . . .

Nonsense. Visionaries obv that saw the raw potential. I still have my Kordic Quebec Nordiques jersey.
  • Truth be told, I seem to recall Courtnall was messing with Leeman's wifey at the time, hence the trade. That, and Brophy liked players of Kordic's ilk.
    Truth be told, I seem to recall Courtnall was messing with Leeman's wifey at the time, hence the trade. That, and Brophy liked players of Kordic's ilk.

LOL. Youre thinking of Al Iafrate. Leeman banging his wife so they shipped him out.
  • G Patrick Roy
    D Bobby Orr
    D Doug Harvey
    F Wayne Gretzky
    F Mario Lemieux
    F Rocket Richard

Only people on here that can pick the same team are probably compuease & ddmilican. Of course Wayne Gretzky would be the captain.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    G Patrick Roy
    D Bobby Orr
    D Doug Harvey
    F Wayne Gretzky
    F Mario Lemieux
    F Rocket Richard

Only people on here that can pick the same team are probably compuease & ddmilican. Of course Wayne Gretzky would be the captain.

I would have to Poke out me eyes with a blunt stick before I could choose Patrick Roy. Definitely a great tender, but I never warmed up to him, and Tremblay should have Jerseyed him the night he quit on them, just as he was walking by.

torn between 2

Martin Brodeur (although I think Marty might be staying at the party too long now) Steady calmness, technique sound, good puck handler, and he could score

or

Terry Sawchuk intensity, desire, fearless

Milton Slim
  • Terry Sawchuk? Christ, you ARE old . . . :D

Good call, though.
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    I would have to Poke out me eyes with a blunt stick before I could choose Patrick Roy. Definitely a great tender, but I never warmed up to him, and Tremblay should have Jerseyed him the night he quit on them, just as he was walking by.

Please! Tremblay was a douchebag.

The two least talented teams to ever win a Stanley Cup were both carried to it on the shoulders of Mr. Roy. Check out the roster of the 86 and 93 Habs and you'll no doubt see what I mean.

In 86 Roy was a rookie of 20 yrs old and the team had 6 other rookies as regulars. Other than Larry Robinson (who was clearly at the end of his career) and likely Chris Chelios there wasn't anyone close to Hall of Fame status.

In 93, years after the Euro invasion into the NHL, the Habs won without a european on the roster (the last team to do it, and the first in many years at the time). Denis Savard, arguably their best offensive player at the time didn't play in the finals. And the biggest testament of all....Gary Leeman was on the team.

If it hadn't been for the fact that I was able to stay up on New Years Eve '95 to watch the greatest hockey game ever played he would have gotten the nod over Tretiak for me.
  • If it hadn't been for the fact that I was able to stay up on New Years Eve '95 to watch the greatest hockey game ever played he would have gotten the nod over Tretiak for me.

Was that the fastest up and down, hard hitting, clean game you ever witnessed?

Re Roy: Never questioned his ability, just personally never liked him. Mentioned Tremblay because he is the one who was there at the time.
    How about if Schonfeld (sp) was coaching the Habs then, I feel pretty sure he would have cuffed him, and if he had gotten a penalty, could have used his donut humour on the Refs.

Sawchuk: I saw him pull a puck out of the net at the Gardens, Davey Keon Jr. might have been napping!
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    If it hadn't been for the fact that I was able to stay up on New Years Eve '95 to watch the greatest hockey game ever played he would have gotten the nod over Tretiak for me.

Was that the fastest up and down, hard hitting, clean game you ever witnessed?

I was six and a Habs fan at the time and knew it was something special. I've watched it 10+ times since and it never gets old. Other than an All Star game I don't think you'd ever assemble that much talent on ice again.....the difference being they were trying their hearts out. One thing that can never be disputed is that it's the greatest tie game ever.
  • You are young!

Funny thing, It was also New Years Eve in Milton when the game took place.
    We had people over and told the girls to drink as much wine as you want, Upstairs!! You were afraid to blink, you might miss something

Milton Slim
  • I was young and apparently smart for my age. Although I didn't know there was 3 periods in hockey until a couple years earlier (bedtime was after 2 periods). I hardly ever got to see the Habs until spring every year. But when I did I knew they were special.
  • Kids these days . . . everyone knows that the greatest hockey game ever played was between the Charlestown Chiefs and the Syracuse Bulldogs. It's a scientific fact . . .