Dentist visits

Hated them as a kid and still do. Went today to get a cracked tooth fixed and let me tell you that no matter how old you get the visits are just as bad as when I was a kid. The only good thing about the visit is this dentist has a TV on the ceiling of each room so you can enjoy the tube while getting drilled and the chairs are the massage type. Seems comfortable until that drill gets put into action.

Just a rant.

Comments

• I'm sitting here playing with the hole in my tooth while I read this and I have to say... yeah, dentists suck. Although mine is pretty hot... where's that number?
  • Nitrous oxide is also the world's largest ozone depleting emission. 298 times more impact per unit weight than CO2. Not so funny.
  • moose wrote: »
    Nitrous oxide is also the world's largest ozone depleting emission. 298 times more impact per unit weight than CO2. Not so funny.

LOL I'm not smart enough to understand any of that but for some reason after reading that it made me think of that kid in the movie Jerry McGuire that had the line "Did you know the human head weighs 8lbs"
  • Like you guys, I hate dentists. Okay, maybe hate is too strong, but I definitely do not like going. Had to last weekend though, and will have to again to repair a broken tooth as well in another week.

Everytime I think about dentists, all I remember is Steve Martin's character in Little Shop of Horrors. Only those that get off on pain become dentists.

little-shop-of-horrors-1.jpg
  • Funny, dentists make me think of . . . Lemming of the B.D.A.

It's a man's life in the British Dental Association . . .
  • I go every couple of years, and my teeth are usually good. Seriously just brush regularly a you'll be fine.

A couple of years ago I had a pretty bad tooth. It hurt like HELL, although the rest were fine. Seem that years of Cola drinks had rotted out one of my back teeth. So I drudge my way there (it was January) and get in the chair. The doctor does the usual scans, etc. His diagnosis, I need a root canal. Maybe more than one if the first one doesn't "take". I ask what that will cost.

"Well nothing to you, but around $800 per procedure to your heath plan." I ask how much just to pull the tooth.

"Yes well, that will less painful, you'll recover faster, and it's only $300. But remember, your health plan will pay for everything. I recommend the root canal."

I'm not usually a cheap guy, but I'm now minus one molar.

Dentists are less concerned about your oral hygiene than making as much money as possible from you and your health care provider. It's a business, and they are capitalists.
  • There is a definate trend I have noticed.

I have moved a bit in the last 6-7 years so I've officially had 3 different dentists.

All have them have hired hot young assistants. Maybe this makes the experience better?

I definately dont mind going these days., and it sure beats the saggy funbag assistants I remember as a kid.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    There is a definate trend I have noticed.

I have moved a bit in the last 6-7 years so I've officially had 3 different dentists.

All have them have hired hot young assistants. Maybe this makes the experience better?

I definately dont mind going these days., and it sure beats the saggy funbag assistance I remember as a kid.

Yeah I've noticed that as well, this was the first visit to this dentist as I moved as well and every room including reception seemed to have some fine looking girls and like Johnnie said it sure it a money business for them. Last nights appointment cost me $440 although my medical coverage picks up 90% of that but I am scheduled in for 2 more appointments and not looking forward to either.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    and it sure beats the saggy funbag assistance I remember as a kid.

Yeah, nothing's worse than going to the eye doctor immediately after the dentist.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Yeah, nothing's worse than going to the eye doctor immediately after the dentist.

How 'bout getting the 'no kid snip' like I did yesterday? This is the first time I've been able to sit down in 30hrs. I think I'd rather have had teeth removed...Just love it when the doc gets bored and decides to tell you horror stories of how the surgery went bad while he's performing it.

Now tonight I get to go and play our local bar tourney tonight and sit on hard wooden chairs for hours on end. Please god I know I haven't done anything to deserve an answer to my prayers, but let that dump have splurged on cushions in the offseason...
  • "Well nothing to you, but around $800 per procedure to your heath plan." I ask how much just to pull the tooth.

"Yes well, that will less painful, you'll recover faster, and it's only $300. But remember, your health plan will pay for everything. I recommend the root canal."

Umm, I don't think your dentist is as much a capitalist as mine. When I asked about getting the tooth pulled instead of the root canal, they said it would be more than the root canal, although I think that was because it was including a replacement tooth. I guess gapping holes are free... except on Church Street.

And lucky you that your plan would cover it. The only things my plan doesn't cover are root canals and crowns. Guess what I needed last year.
  • How 'bout getting the 'no kid snip' like I did yesterday? This is the first time I've been able to sit down in 30hrs. I think I'd rather have had teeth removed...Just love it when the doc gets bored and decides to tell you horror stories of how the surgery went bad while he's performing it.

Now tonight I get to go and play our local bar tourney tonight and sit on hard wooden chairs for hours on end. Please god I know I haven't done anything to deserve an answer to my prayers, but let that dump have splurged on cushions in the offseason...

Unsolicited advise, WildBill...take it for what its worth

First, were tightie whities, NO BOXERS...you'll need the support
    Second, if necessary, wear a cup. Might sound stupid, but if god forbid you got struck there by anything, or have to move in a hurry, you'll be glad you wore it
    Third, ice it up BEFORE you head out.

Cushioning provides MINIMAL support and comfort. Unfortunately its just a 'time heals all wounds' thing but you'll be fine in a day or two.
  • You're a good man Ace. Thanks for the advice. I've been using more ice over the past day than a bar that exclusively serves mohitos!

I'll see how I feel later. I asked the doc if I could sit at my computer yesterday to while away the hours. He said he wouldn't recommend it, but when he got his done he drywalled a small ceiling later in the day!! I swear to god I believe him! Of course I told him he was my new hero.
  • And I don't think I need to add, but just in case..

NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS!
    No lifting, no reaching, no straining of any kind

And if wifey wants somethingsomething...TELL HER SHE HAS TO RIDE!
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    And if wifey wants somethingsomething...TELL HER SHE HAS TO RIDE!

Or, you could just keep a copy of the latest ESPN the Magazine around. Open it to the poker section and you won't have to worry about that at all . . .
  • One look at that pic, and everything'll shrink to the point that you'll feel like a serious mis-communication occurred between myself and the doc about the goals of the operation.

Sorry Voodoo, didn't mean to hijack your dentist thread. Being self employed, I have no dental plan thus nothing to contribute here.
  • Took the bar tourney down with the 'NUTS'! Sorry, just had to add that.

We will now return to regularly scheduled programming already in progress.