"Mutiny" in Blue Jays' clubhouse

I read this today. Can't say I'm very surprised. It's time for the Jays to clean house, both in the front office and the coaching staff.

Multiple reports have come out today revealing that there is growing friction between many of the Blue Jays' players and manager Cito Gaston.

According to a report on FOXSports.com, one unnamed source said: "It's nearly a mutiny right now. He has lost the entire team."

The clubhouse has not opened yet here at Camden Yards, so it will be a while before we can get reaction from Gaston, general manager J.P. Ricciardi, or maybe even interim president Paul Beeston, who made the trip.

What I can say is that this has been building throughout this season. Gaston's old-school approach and his communication with players has not always worked well throughout Toronto's disappointing season. There is also division within the coaching staff, half of that group being leftover from when John Gibbons was at the helm.

No players have gone on the record with their comments yet. It will be interesting to see how they respond today now that the story is out. A few of the players wanted to discuss the situation with Beeston before going public with their thoughts. Gaston -- well-loved by the Blue Jays' fan base -- is under contract through 2010.

Prior to the Blue Jays' final home game on Sunday, Gaston was asked if he might have to mend any fences after the season. Here is how Gaston responded:

"If guys aren't happy with whatever happened here, then they're looking at the wrong person. If they're unhappy, they have to look at themselves, because I certainly treated everybody in a way that I'd like to be treated as a player and how I'd like my manager to treat me. If they're grumbling, they're grumbling because they didn't do their jobs. They had opportunities."

Comments

• Read this as "we're pissed because we're stuck in a division that we have no hope of winning and don't like being told from our boss that we screw up when we screw up". At the same time, yeah, Cito is probably a little too rough around the edges.
  • Not Cito's fault. Toronto doesn't have any good players, Halliday excepted. Funny how everyone was happy at the beginning of the season when they were winning.

Clean house alright, begin with the starting lineup.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Not Cito's fault. Toronto doesn't have any good players, Halliday excepted. Funny how everyone was happy at the beginning of the season when they were winning.

Clean house alright, begin with the starting lineup.

Yeah, we gotta turf that Lind and Hill duo. ???
  • Two players that had one good year. And, since they've had their "one good season" might as well trade them now. You know, before they go Vernon Wells on you and start to suck next year.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Two players that had one good year. And, since they've had their "one good season" might as well trade them now. You know, before they go Vernon Wells on you and start to suck next year.

That would be one of the stupidest things I have ever read here. Let's take two guys who just combined for 70+ HR's, 200+ RBI's and almost .300 avg and trade them because their value is high after one good season. They also combined for a total salary just over 3 million......how on earth do you trade them and get anything close to those stats in return with a 3 million dollar salary?

You're a Leafs fan too aren't you? For years Sundin was the only player they had and all the fans would join in the chorus of "he's not Wendel Clark or Doug Gilmour.....let's trade him. Now they have one of the better puck moving defensemen (Kaberle) among a gaggle of pylons and fans clamour for his departure.

The definition of insanity.
  • "gaggle of pylons"

it should be a "Flock" of Pylons

heard someone say about the Leafs "Look at all those FLOCKING PYLONS

my hearing is going a little, but pretty sure that is what they said

Milton Slim
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    "gaggle of pylons"

it should be a "Flock" of Pylons

From Wikipedia, "In military slang, a gaggle is an unorganized group doing nothing."

I stand by my original nomenclature.
  • From Wikipedia, "In military slang, a gaggle is an unorganized group doing nothing."

Excellent, great response, sorry, I was going for cheap humour, won't let it happen again!

Milton "Your Humble Servant" Slim
  • From Wikipedia, "In military slang, a gaggle is an unorganized group doing nothing."

Never trust Wiki, Mole . . . in military slang, the correct term is "clusterfuck".