Antivirus/spyware info

FYI, Microsoft released their free antivirus/antispyware security package today (MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials). I have been using it in beta on both XP and Windows 7 pc's for the past few months and personally highly recommend it. This should rapidly become the "defacto" standard for pc protection. It's lightweight, fast, easily configurable, and effective. Puts things like Norton Security suite to shame and it's free. I've been a long time AVG supporter but this is better since it has both antivirus and real time antispyware protection.

See here for reviews

Microsoft Security Essentials - TechReviewSource.com - Tech Reviews

First look: Microsoft Security Essentials impresses - Ars Technica

and here to download and install...

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

Comments

• Do you know if it will be included in the Windows 7 update DVDs next month?
  • Thx Jeff, I just heard about this yesterday and my Symantec subscription is about to end. Good to hear your review. Looks like I'll be checking this out. Norton 360 is just too much of a pain. I've been having problems with it since first install in terms of customizing, coordinating with PS3, etc.
  • thanks Jeff; my computer is still f'd up with these spyware programs. The problem I have is I can't run any of these anti virus programs as all 'exe' files won't execute. Not sure if this program will have the same problem but likely.
  • Thanks, Jeff. I'll check it out.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Do you know if it will be included in the Windows 7 update DVDs next month?
    Everyone has been asking that question. No, MSE will not be included in the O/S. Apparently this has a lot to do with Microsoft not wanting to get involved in any more antitrust suites, involving bundling. That's also why the European version of 7 will not include IE either.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    thanks Jeff; my computer is still f'd up with these spyware programs. The problem I have is I can't run any of these anti virus programs as all 'exe' files won't execute. Not sure if this program will have the same problem but likely.
    I think the fix for yours will be to take the hard drive out and scan it on another system. Failing that it's reload time from what you appear to describe. If you want me to have a look just let me know. I can fix anything... lol... Well not a "doom" switch streak, but you know what I mean.